General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Annandale, Minnesota
United States
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 2s
Overall Rank = 217/244
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Night before the race, went to church and then out for dinner. I had 2 chicken tacos and 1 (only 1!) Margarita. Woke at 4:15 am, ate 2 waffles with pure maple syrup and coffee and drove to Annandale. The drive took about 1.75 hours. Check in was really fast and organized. I set up my transition area. 1 hour prerace, took 3 Race Caps Supreme (Hammer).
Event warmup:

Did a quick job- maybe 1/4 mile total. Put on the wetsuit. I took 2 Hammer Endurolytes and 2 Hammer Antifatigue pills. Got in the water and did a few bobs and then a quick swim. While waiting for my wave to go (I was wave 4), I took in an Espresso Hammer Gel.
Swim
  • 21m 2s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a bit rough in that I got swam over, punched and kicked. I stayed with a group and just couldn't get thru them.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get more agressive. Overall I was happy with my performance. I didn't freak out and after getting pummeled, I started getting more aggressive........a little to late.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I really took my time in T1. I wanted to make sure I took in more Endurolytes and Antifatige pills and take a bite or two of a Honey Stinger and I wear socks, so took my time getting them right as I knew I would wear them for the run. I also tend to be a bit wobbly coming out of the water.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 15m 18s
  • 21 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I have gotten much better on the bike, but I need to work harder. This year I have a brand new Tri bike. I finally have the fit right and was thrilled with over 16 mph. I focused on high cadence. This is a pretty flat course. I am used to the ups and downs of hill riding. I found the flat course pretty challenging and a bit monotonous.

Do more bike trainer work.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I whipped thrut his one. Just a change of shoes, grabbed my visor and my bottle which had my endurolytes and a hammer gel in the packet

Nothing
Run
  • 54m 57s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very happy with my performance here. I expected a 10:30 per mile and achieved it. (OK 10:37...but whatever). There were several aid stations and cold sponges. I passed quite a few runners, but also got passed by quite a few. It is all good!!

Nothing.
Post race
Event comments:

This is my 2nd time at HOTL. I did the short course a few years ago. Beautiful location. Well run. Great volunteers. It is just an AWESOME AWESOME race. I can't wait to go back next year.
For me, as a back of the packer, it was a great race. The event was timed right so that even a back of the packer doesn't feel alone. Volunteers had great energy thru out. LOVE IT!!

Last updated: 2015-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:02 | 800 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 0/244
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless 2xu Wetsuit
Course: Pleasant Lake
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:18 | 21 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/9
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:57 | 05.3 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-20 11:13 AM

Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Heart of the Lakes Triathlon - Long Course

Started by Farlig
Views: 862 Posts: 1

2014-07-20 5:08 PM Farlig

Started by ewengler
Views: 1000 Posts: 1

2014-07-20 3:21 PM ewengler

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 1017 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 8:48 AM Birkierunner

Started by jarheadjred
Views: 1667 Posts: 6

2011-07-22 10:10 AM BikerGrrrl

Started by shaunjamison
Views: 1481 Posts: 3

2011-09-15 2:04 PM shaunjamison
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : October 20, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 9
Twenty of the total 25 deaths associated with triathlons as recorded by USA Triathlon occurred during the swim portion of the events. So, what’s the deal with swimming?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : November 4, 2007
author : AMSSM
Will sustained exercise at or near maximum heart rate increase the risk of heart damage, or heart failure. Is the cardiac muscle also subject to strain and damage as other muscles?

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.