FS Series
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 23s
Overall Rank = 3/94
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

I trained like normal through Thur of the previous week but only did a 45 min easy spin on Fri. I woke up a little late at 4:20 (my alarm clock didn’t go off but Wendy had set hers as a back-up). I had two waffles with fruit and syrup and chocolate milk. Then I had coffee in the car and a half banana about 7am. I left the house at 4:40 and arrived about 6:30. I was one of the earlier people arriving. I had plenty of time. The race is about a half mile from parking. When I put my front wheel on at the car I noticed that the brake was rubbing. I couldn’t get it into alignment by hand but once I got it to the bike rack I used my multi-tool to loosen the brake and it wasn’t a problem.

There was a sprint that started a few minutes after the Olympic and we shared the course. This caused some issues logistically but it wasn’t as bad as I expected.
Event warmup:

I did a 10 min warm-up run, a short warm-up swim, and had a gel before the start.
Swim
  • 28m 59s
  • 1870 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I had a good swim. I was able to draft some guys for some of it. I swam a pretty straight line and sighting was good. Based on my Garmin and my time (almost 29 minutes) the course was long. 1.05 according to the Garmin.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

The transition area was really small and I was right near the bike out. So I put on my shoes in transition. My time was 5-10 seconds slower than the fastest times (don’t know what they did with their shoes). The bike mount in first couple of hundred yards was congested with guys weaving all over. This surprised me until I realized that these were the mid-pack or slower sprint athletes.

My bike mount with my shoes on was a bit sloppy. Should probably practice a running mount enough to do it confidently in races.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 59s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode really hard. I don’t think I could have gone much harder without damaging my run. But I still came in at 22.7, below my 23 goal. The wind must have been more of a factor than I thought because I should have been able to match my ride at White Lake. I drank 2 bottle of Nuun and ate 2 gels.
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

T2 was really fast. I changed shoes grabbed my stuff and took off.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I focused on running about a 7 min pace (which is about what I've run in the last 3 Olys) or below but it was really hard. I've been focused on 70.3 distance so I didn't feel like I have a good top end. I managed to stay around 7 for the first couple of miles. In my first mile I saw the leader going the other way, mostly through his first loop. But because of the sprint athletes mixing with the leading Olympic athletes I couldn’t tell how many were between first place and me. I would have guessed I was 5th or 6th. After the first turnaround I saw the guy who I thought was the closest behind me and he was a couple of minutes back. Then I saw some other Olympic guys behind him. When I made the second turn at the end of the first loop I could see that the guy behind me was losing ground and no one behind him was gaining either. And I hadn’t seen anyone ahead who it looked like I could catch. So I eased off the pace just a bit and ran at about a 7:10-7:15 pace. I probably could have run harder than I did but it would have hurt and wouldn't have changed the results. I had a few swallows of sports drink two or three times during the run.

Gone harder if pushed.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished and waited around for results. It took forever. I texted Wendy and told her I thought I finished 6th or 7th overall but probably won my AG (which was small... only 13 guys). I was ready to leave but finally they posted the Olympic results. I had finished 3rd overall. I was excited, even if it was a small race.

Event comments:

Overall, I really enjoyed the race. It was small and informal. It felt almost more like a meet-up than a serious race. The course isn't ideal because of the out and back double loops, but the surface is good and it's flat. I'd probably do this race again.

Last updated: 2015-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:59 | 1870 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 7/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Castelli 2 piece tri kit
Course: They made a last minute decision to make the swim a double lap route of the sprint course because “they didn’t have the coordinates for a .9 mile route”. I was concerned that we would swim into the slower sprint swimmers on the second lap but while I swam through some, it didn’t cause major issues. Right before the start, literally as we were filing into the water, they decided to change the direction and do it clockwise instead of counterclockwise to make the sighting better because of the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:59 | 25 miles | 22.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 4/94
Performance: Good
My average HR was 160. It started out in the mid to high 160s then came down throughout the ride to the mid 150s for the second half. This makes sense because it was my leg strength that limited me, not my cardio.
Wind: Some
Course: The bike route is an out-an-back double loop route. It’s totally flat but there was some wind. It was swirly but generally a tailwind on the way out and a headwind on the way back. I passed sprint athletes through the entire ride, in fact I think I passed some of them twice (lapping them).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:25 | 06.2 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 6/94
Performance: Average
My HR was sky high for the first half mile or so. Unfortunately, I don’t have data on because I screwed up and the hit the lap button twice coming out of T2 (ending the race mode) and had to reset it on the run. Even then, the HR didn’t record for the rest of the run.
Course: Out and back double loop route. Flat as a pancake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-07-27 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: Washington Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Washington Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Washington Olympic Triathlon

Started by Havin'Fun
Views: 1723 Posts: 6

2011-08-03 4:03 PM japarker24

Started by trimyfisher
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2011-08-01 9:05 PM trimyfisher

Started by louiskie
Views: 1584 Posts: 5

2011-08-06 7:16 AM lvis

Started by countryvoodoo
Views: 1021 Posts: 1

2011-07-30 6:21 PM countryvoodoo

Started by spot
Views: 1254 Posts: 1

2010-12-27 11:18 AM spot
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : October 31, 2011
author : hoffsquared
comments : 1
Battling nervousness and limited training for a surprisingly good finish
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.