Mimran Event Management
82F / 28C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 7s
Overall Rank = 9/184
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 1/17
Pre-race routine:

Went to restroom. Drank some water. Rained like crazy until 4:45. I arrived at 4:55 to site (6am start). Race didn't start until 6:45 due to lightning. Was super worried about heat since it was going to be 95 that day but it was actually really cool in the morning, which was weird.
Event warmup:

I did about a 100yd swim.
Swim
  • 28m 57s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Considering I did a 500m swim in a tri last month in 12 minutes, I'm happy with my swim but considering I'm averaging ~ 1:35/100 yds in the pool on long sets, I'm pretty disappointed in my OWS. I always freak out and think I'm trying too hard and need to hold back. Guess I need to find that happy medium.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. It was pretty rough at first. Really congested at first. I wanted to quit the first 200m. No wet suit had me worried. After 500m though, things cleared out and I got my form corrected and went on my way.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Pretty slow transition. I washed my feet off but considering it was in a grass field, that was probably not needed as I had no sand on me at all.

Skip the feet washing things and just put shoes on.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 19s
  • 41.6 kms
  • 34.51 km/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. I was hoping for higher power numbers but doing 21.5mph on that course was pretty good. I average over 23 at the Boulder Half and this was way way harder, even with normal elevation.

There was 2 or 3 places where I burned a match when I didn't need to. I was just trying to pass someone who wouldn't let me pass (kept speeding up as I was by him...) but I didn't want to draft off him so I burned a match to pass him.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Don't know why this took so long. Wasted a few seconds getting race belt on. Could have put this on while running for sure.

Put race belt on while running.
Run
  • 46m 10s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 37s  min/km
Comments:

This is where I broke down. Running is supposed to be my sport that I excel at but not today. I walked 5 times during this run. I was hoping for low 40's but it didn't happen. I did not have a nice controlled form. I had the feet slapping/uncontrolled legs thing going on. I could tell I was tried. I'd say I overdid the bike but the power numbers say otherwise. Hard course and lower than expected run fitness got to me.

Don't walk. Do a workout the day before the race. This helps out a ton but I never got around to it since I woke up late and was running errands all day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot and drank some water. Stood out in the sun for over 2 hours waiting for awards. Eeeks...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training recently and lack of run endurance.

Event comments:

Good race. Actually had a little podium for everyone to stand on. Was pretty neat to get my picture on the #1 spot for my age group. Was ecstatic about that! I just wish awards were sooner after the race. I didn't get home until 1pm for a 6:45am race. The course was hard but good mental toughness builder. Will be doing again next year for sure!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:57 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 51/184
Performance: Average
Suit: Nope
Course: Out and back-ish course. More had a slight triangle to it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:19 | 41.6 kms | 34.51 km/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 7/184
Performance: Good
162 avg HR @ 222 watts. Watch 0'ed out a few times since I had watch on wrist and it doesn't have the best signal there. Power was probably 230-ish.
Wind: Little
Course: VERY hilly. Think it was 1,300 ft of elevation. The course was also over 40K. It was just under 26 miles. Race director admitted to this and said it was for safety. Not like that matters since everyone rode the same course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:10 | 10 kms | 04m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 16/184
Performance: Bad
165 avg HR and splits at 7:09-7:43.
Course: All hills again! This course and known as being one of the hardest Olympic courses around. My friend who got 2nd overall told me to add 10 minutes to my expected Olympic time due to the course. There was one flat part on a dam but that's it. Rest on trails and roads with hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-07-29 11:40 PM

User image

Subject: Omaha Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Omaha Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Omaha Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by wieboldwobble
Views: 849 Posts: 1

2013-08-05 3:34 PM wieboldwobble

Started by dprocket
Views: 1072 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 11:07 PM dprocket

Started by dprocket
Views: 1169 Posts: 1

2012-08-10 11:11 AM dprocket

Omaha Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by ramhog69
Views: 798 Posts: 1

2012-08-05 2:23 PM ramhog69

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1341 Posts: 3

2011-07-28 9:32 AM Rudedog55
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.