Overall Rank = 130/495
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/28
Swim
  • 39m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. The water was warm so no wet suit which was fine for me. I don't get much benefit from the wet suit compared to other swimmers. The 2 lap format was new to me and was a little bit of a mental challenge being so near the beach and still needing to swim another lap. Felt really good when I made the last turn towards the finish line. Swam through a gas or oil spill from a boat a few hundred yards from the finish. I only saw two motor boats and no kayaks.
Transition 1
  • 42m 35s
Comments:

This was a very fast transition for me. Not having to deal with a wet suit was a big help.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
What would you do differently?:

Bring all the fuel I need and don't count on the race to provide something.
Transition 2
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Took some time to eat some gels that I had in my transition bag. This slowed me down by almost 2 minutes. I should have had the fuel on the bike.

Have the right fuel on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 26m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I ate too much in T2 and felt like I had a rock in my stomach. This was a very hot race but normally heat doesn't bother me much. I walked most of the last half of lap one and much of lap two. I started feeling better and getting more energy as I digested so I was able to start running by the end of lap 3 and finished fairly strong.

There was only one major aid station on the course that we passed twice each lap and a second aid station by transition that we passed once per lap. As hot as it was, I could have used another opportunity for water somewhere on the course. The last two laps I started running water on my head from one of the hose bibs that was in the campground just off the side of the road.

Get the right fuel on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, walked, ate, napped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fuel on the bike. Maybe the heat?

Last updated: 2015-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/28
Overall: 88/495
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 42:35
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:50:38 | 56 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 130/495
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: The course was a short ride out of the park then onto a 4 lap ride up and down the same road. I got to see my fans 8 times on the ride. The road was very smooth and a nice ride except for a rough bump over some railroad tracks - twice on each lap. There was a good sized hill in the middle of every lap so we had a up and down each time. Did fine with most of the climbs except the last when I was running out of energy. The wind was building all morning and was probably gusting to 15-20 mph by the end of my ride. I was also expecting some fuel to be supplied on the course so I only had one gel and one bar which I ate on the first two laps. i was getting a little whipped by the end of lap 4. Overall, this was decent ride for me considering the 8 hill climbs and the winds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:26:58 | 13.1 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/28
Overall: 194/495
Performance: Average
Course: This was a 4 loop course and was fairly flat except a couple small hills on each lap. Overall, I like the course because I got to see my fans 8 times. This was a hot and sunny course with very little shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %3%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-18 3:57 PM

User image

Fort Madison, Iowa
Subject: Pigman Long Course Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pigman Long Course Triathlon

Started by tg_bull
Views: 1186 Posts: 1

2012-08-23 8:28 PM tg_bull

Started by thunda78
Views: 1004 Posts: 1

2012-08-21 9:15 PM thunda78

Started by siouxcityhawk
Views: 1430 Posts: 1

2012-08-20 3:47 PM siouxcityhawk

Started by mjewen
Views: 1692 Posts: 3

2012-08-21 3:35 PM siouxcityhawk

Started by ersnyder3654
Views: 1183 Posts: 3

2012-08-21 3:32 PM siouxcityhawk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.