General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increasing stroke rate to become MORE efficient? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-09-11 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Increasing stroke rate to become MORE efficient?
I read an article, recently, that hinted towards this (I'll try to find it). Is it possible that by trying to swim slow(er), I'm creating a dead spot that could be overcome if I increased stroke rate by just a little?

AOS. Only been swimming again for a few weeks. As slow as I can go, I swim a 100 (scy) in just under 2:00 (more like 1:50). Much over 100yds, and I'm really starting to look to air. I'm exhaling underwater. My legs are up (according to my masters instructor). I've also started taking my breath a little sooner in the cycle to prevent a dead spot when I'm fully extended.

I was swimming 100% (a BIG mistake, for any AOS's out there listening) of my workouts with Blue Seventy Core shorts, until this past weekend. I'm convinced it set me back, rather than helped me. 2 sessions with Masters coaches on deck and I feel and have been told it's looking pretty good (for an AOS!).

I know I just need to swim more....which I'll be doing. Is it possible it will set me back to experiment with increasing my stroke rate?

Any of you fishes (coaches, especially) care to comment? Has anyone ever heard of this working for anyone? I'm waiting for my "aha" moment (with bells on!).

**Edit to add.....my current spl is 16.

Edited by nc452010 2015-09-11 11:38 AM

2015-09-11 11:56 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Subject: RE: Increasing stroke rate to become MORE efficient?
Increasing stroke rate can help with getting rid of over gliding or the dead spot. Sometimes the answer is just swim more. The spl of 16 is that yards or meters and how tall are you? 16 strokes per length is neither horrible or great. It sounds like you need work with your catch and pull as well as rate. You don't want to be just spinning your wheels (so to speak).

Get rid of the neoprene shorts and swim more. As much as you can. 4,5, or 6 days a week for improvement. If you are only swimming 2 or 3 days a week you will only see minimal, if any, gains.

The biggest change for me as an adult onset swimmer was when I decided to become a swimmer for a year. 6 days a week. 24,000 yards a week. Now I swim HIM 28ish minutes and IM in 60ish. Not great, but I'm still improving. Decide and commit to swimming more if you want to improve your swimming.
2015-09-11 11:59 AM
in reply to: rsmoylan

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I'm currently swimming 4-5X/wk.....and have been since 8/1 (but only a few swims since I ditched the core shorts). 16 spl is in a 25yd pool. I'm 6'1".

2015-09-11 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with the increased stroke rate making you a more efficient swimmer so long as your form does not degrade. The dead spot you speak of is might be when you keep your arm extended too long a time before engaging your catch phase.

Higher stroke rates are more effective swimming in open water where the water can be rough which can push a glider off course a bit.
2015-09-11 12:01 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
2015-09-11 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by nc452010

I'm currently swimming 4-5X/wk.....and have been since 8/1 (but only a few swims since I ditched the core shorts). 16 spl is in a 25yd pool. I'm 6'1".

Do you know what your current stroke rate is per minute?

2015-09-11 12:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Absolutely not!

Assuming I swam slowly enough to do 2:00/100.........wouldn't it be mathematically easy to figure out......or, am I over-simplifying it (by assuming my rate would be uniform)?

Edited by nc452010 2015-09-11 12:07 PM
2015-09-11 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
If you use a Garmin910xt or another device that counts your strokes per lap, sure, it's mathematically possible.
2015-09-11 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
My previous comment was an "attempt" at a joke.

I have no idea of my spm rate. Sorry. I'm struggling on the endurance thing right now....and I'm willing to play around with things, as long as it won't set me back even further.

2015-09-11 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
hehehe! Gotcha.

It's not that important right now for you. Keep up the good work!
2015-09-11 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Pretty interesting quote from Gary Hall Sr. -- "The hip-driven swimmers are trying for doubles or triples underwater on each pull, while the higher stroke rate swimmers are satisfied with hitting singles...just a lot more of them. If you try for the big pull each time with a high stroke rate, you will soon become exhausted. Just try to keep constant pressure on the water with the higher stroke rate...but don't try to kill it each time. "

2015-09-11 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yup, that's why its good to have a strong core in our sport. Hip driven freestyle takes some time to figure out and get a feel for though but I highly recommend it as an AOS myself.
2015-09-11 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Thanks for the replies.

I'm taking baby steps.....which are all hip-driven to this point. I'm hoping going longer is around the corner. Just anxious to add some distance.
2015-09-11 3:58 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
I have been a swimmer for 19 years. I swam at national level events in scy and lcm. Maybe I can add some insight.

Increasing stroke rate is not path towards efficiency, however, it is a way increase energy output to improve speed. You wouldn't say that a propeller is more efficient because the RPMs increase, in fact, efficiency in this case would be defined as the amount of work done by the propeller on the water in a single 360 degree rotation. That's where my analogy ends.

Most beginners have a few general areas in which, if improved, will dramatically increase the efficiency of a single pull.

-The catch

Fully extended the shoulder should be under the chin and eyes pointed straight down(when not breathing) hand should be positioned as a relaxed cup with fingers together. Elbow pointed straight up. Arm slightly bent to make a C-shape with the body. The pull is straight backwards careful not make an S-shaped pull. If there is a line at the bottom of the pool then your hand should follow the line. If there is no line then imagine if the sun was directly over head, then your hand/arm would follow the shadow your body makes directly under you. This will enable you to pull with your latissimus dorsi instead of your shoulder. This will allow you to pull with a much, much stronger/larger muscle, thereby increasing efficiency and preventing the most common injury to swimmers, the shoulder injury. Besides being balanced, this is by far the most telling sign of a good/great swimmer.

-Balance in the water

We call it "down-hill" swimming . With the head and spine in perfect alignment, the chest should be pressed into the water pretty significantly. The effect should be that there is a slight downward pitch of the body with respect to the surface of the water. This forces your butt/ legs higher in the water reducing the drag they produce. This is something we used to work on alot. At first it will feel exaggerated, and be careful to make sure your head and spine are constantly in alignment. Do not drop your head in an effort to do this, and make sure it is the chest that is being pressed down. And yes, in a freeze frame of your stroke from the side it should look like you are swimming "downhill". This might seem counter-intuitive (and I don't have time time to go into more detail) but this is a very important part of balance in the water.

-Shoulder/hip rotation and head position

As I stated multiple times before, head and spine are in perfect alignment. (and, yes, even while breathing). Shoulders and hips need to be rotated 180 degrees for each stroke. This is part of keeping you spine straight. They need to move together. Head should not move unless breathing. Your head will move with your shoulders from looking straight down to 90 degrees. One goggle under the water one goggle out and your mouth will be half out and half in. (Now, when actually swimming your head will make a wave and there will be a drop in water level where your mouth is. This will leave your mouth out of the water so as to not inhale water.) Don't tuck your head into your shoulder while breathing. This will cause your head to lose alignment with your spine. You can tell if you are doing this when you are breathing into your armpit and you will be looking slightly backwards. (this habit took me years to break)

I know this is dense, and hard to visualize, but if you work on these areas you will see drastic improvement in your stroke. Stay long. The fewer strokes per length the better. Shoot for 12-15 in 25yds. Try a drill where the only thing you do is take 12 stroke per length is a good way to feel the reach required before each catch.

For the more advanced swimmers: A more advanced technique to think about is "front quadrant swimming." Imagine when you are horizontal in the water, divide your body into four equal quadrants lengthwise. If you draw an imaginary vertical line from through each hand that is perpendicular to the surface of the water. As you stroke, the lines through your hands will pass each other in the front quadrant. this is the accepted technique for endurance swimming. Sprinting will be different but for anything over 200yds this is the appropriate technique.

Edited by jckcrlln 2015-09-11 4:01 PM
2015-09-11 5:19 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by jckcrlln

I have been a swimmer for 19 years. I swam at national level events in scy and lcm. Maybe I can add some insight.

Increasing stroke rate is not path towards efficiency, however, it is a way increase energy output to improve speed. You wouldn't say that a propeller is more efficient because the RPMs increase, in fact, efficiency in this case would be defined as the amount of work done by the propeller on the water in a single 360 degree rotation. That's where my analogy ends.

Most beginners have a few general areas in which, if improved, will dramatically increase the efficiency of a single pull.

-The catch

Fully extended the shoulder should be under the chin and eyes pointed straight down(when not breathing) hand should be positioned as a relaxed cup with fingers together. Elbow pointed straight up. Arm slightly bent to make a C-shape with the body. The pull is straight backwards careful not make an S-shaped pull. If there is a line at the bottom of the pool then your hand should follow the line. If there is no line then imagine if the sun was directly over head, then your hand/arm would follow the shadow your body makes directly under you. This will enable you to pull with your latissimus dorsi instead of your shoulder. This will allow you to pull with a much, much stronger/larger muscle, thereby increasing efficiency and preventing the most common injury to swimmers, the shoulder injury. Besides being balanced, this is by far the most telling sign of a good/great swimmer.

-Balance in the water

We call it "down-hill" swimming . With the head and spine in perfect alignment, the chest should be pressed into the water pretty significantly. The effect should be that there is a slight downward pitch of the body with respect to the surface of the water. This forces your butt/ legs higher in the water reducing the drag they produce. This is something we used to work on alot. At first it will feel exaggerated, and be careful to make sure your head and spine are constantly in alignment. Do not drop your head in an effort to do this, and make sure it is the chest that is being pressed down. And yes, in a freeze frame of your stroke from the side it should look like you are swimming "downhill". This might seem counter-intuitive (and I don't have time time to go into more detail) but this is a very important part of balance in the water.

-Shoulder/hip rotation and head position

As I stated multiple times before, head and spine are in perfect alignment. (and, yes, even while breathing). Shoulders and hips need to be rotated 180 degrees for each stroke. This is part of keeping you spine straight. They need to move together. Head should not move unless breathing. Your head will move with your shoulders from looking straight down to 90 degrees. One goggle under the water one goggle out and your mouth will be half out and half in. (Now, when actually swimming your head will make a wave and there will be a drop in water level where your mouth is. This will leave your mouth out of the water so as to not inhale water.) Don't tuck your head into your shoulder while breathing. This will cause your head to lose alignment with your spine. You can tell if you are doing this when you are breathing into your armpit and you will be looking slightly backwards. (this habit took me years to break)

I know this is dense, and hard to visualize, but if you work on these areas you will see drastic improvement in your stroke. Stay long. The fewer strokes per length the better. Shoot for 12-15 in 25yds. Try a drill where the only thing you do is take 12 stroke per length is a good way to feel the reach required before each catch.

For the more advanced swimmers: A more advanced technique to think about is "front quadrant swimming." Imagine when you are horizontal in the water, divide your body into four equal quadrants lengthwise. If you draw an imaginary vertical line from through each hand that is perpendicular to the surface of the water. As you stroke, the lines through your hands will pass each other in the front quadrant. this is the accepted technique for endurance swimming. Sprinting will be different but for anything over 200yds this is the appropriate technique.

This is all so true and so helpful as those were my prime areas to be addressed to improve efficiency. To the OP, I used the metronome in my swim cap in pool training to increase my spm to expose and eliminate my dead spot excess of glide when arm extends at 12:00. By doing this in the pool, I did many intervals at various stroke rates and I eventually exposed OTHER issues once, by trying to maintain a higher stroke rate, my effort and breathing became harder, but my times plateau'd or GOT slower, which meant, in turn, other areas of technique became less efficient. I then used self check to see where I was digressing in form as a result of increases in stroke rate. Then slowed stroke rate back down a bit, worked on those techniques, one's I quoted by jck, AND that elbow position! Then time to time dialed up rate and interval pace to check improvement. This is how addressing and using stroke rate has helped me.

Side note: Some of these recognitions and repetition of swimming helped with muscle memory when open water swimming, when your mind is attentive to many other details (i.e. waves, current, others in race). I sometimes allow myself to overglide when coming off a mis-timed breath due to a face splash or a bad wave/swell: that glide, or slight over-rotation can help me ever so to keep my face out of water to get a clean relaxed breath to restore sanity and get back to a good stroke rate

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-11 5:21 PM
2015-09-11 7:07 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by jckcrlln

This is all so true and so helpful as those were my prime areas to be addressed to improve efficiency. To the OP, I used the metronome in my swim cap in pool training to increase my spm to expose and eliminate my dead spot excess of glide when arm extends at 12:00. By doing this in the pool, I did many intervals at various stroke rates and I eventually exposed OTHER issues once, by trying to maintain a higher stroke rate, my effort and breathing became harder, but my times plateau'd or GOT slower, which meant, in turn, other areas of technique became less efficient. I then used self check to see where I was digressing in form as a result of increases in stroke rate. Then slowed stroke rate back down a bit, worked on those techniques, one's I quoted by jck, AND that elbow position! Then time to time dialed up rate and interval pace to check improvement. This is how addressing and using stroke rate has helped me.

Side note: Some of these recognitions and repetition of swimming helped with muscle memory when open water swimming, when your mind is attentive to many other details (i.e. waves, current, others in race). I sometimes allow myself to overglide when coming off a mis-timed breath due to a face splash or a bad wave/swell: that glide, or slight over-rotation can help me ever so to keep my face out of water to get a clean relaxed breath to restore sanity and get back to a good stroke rate

I agree. I am glad that you reiterated the importance of the elbow position. I cannot stress enough how much this will change how you swim once you begin to do it correctly. I looked for a video on youtube that would show the correct form, however, all I could find were bad camera angles of Olympians doing it correctly or swimmers who had significant errors in other parts of their stroke (i.e. high head position or poor shoulder rotation) which I feel would be a disservice to post as a model of good form.

Also I agree with you on the OWS form. I have always found that in open water swimming relaxing in the water is very important. Catching a mouthfull of water from a wave while trying to breath is an unaviodable part of the sport which can be managed by a longer glide and SLIGHT over-rotation.

Edited by jckcrlln 2015-09-11 7:09 PM

2015-09-11 7:12 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
BTW If anyone is interested in looking around for the correct elbow position, the technique is called "Early Vertical Forearm" (EVF)

I did find a decent video showing this. In this they show nice freeze frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_sh2eeOBVM

Edited by jckcrlln 2015-09-11 7:20 PM
2015-09-11 7:34 PM
in reply to: jckcrlln

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I was thinking more along the lines of a boat that uses a little extra speed to get on plane and stay there.

I know you can back off the throttle, once on plane.

If that's a bad analogy, just say so.

2015-09-12 1:09 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by nc452010 I was thinking more along the lines of a boat that uses a little extra speed to get on plane and stay there. I know you can back off the throttle, once on plane. If that's a bad analogy, just say so.

LOL.  If you study the history of swimming, the great Johnny Weissmuller, aka Tarzan, claimed that his heads-up swimming position allowed him to hydroplane and swim faster by reducing drag.  His style certainly worked for him, but in reality it was his catch & pull that made him fast.

I'd suggest you take a look at Sheila Taormina's books "Swim Speed Secrets" and "Swim Speed Strokes" for an in-depth discussion of the catch & pull. Her stuff is not really geared to the beginning swimmer and takes some strength development, but if you can incorporate the stuff she teaches it will make your stroke more powerful and efficient.  (Full disclosure: Sheila is the coach of my masters team).

Sheila makes an interesting comparison between running and swimming:  In running, your stride length naturally tends to get longer the faster you run.  But for most swimmers their stroke tends to get shorter (and less efficient) when they try to go faster.  The key is to be able to keep the same stroke length and mechanics as you increase tempo. 

Mark

2015-09-12 4:33 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
s the only metric of stroke efficiency....................how few of them you take to get from point A to point B?

Where does HR and O2 debt figure in? Just curious.
2015-09-12 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by nc452010 s the only metric of stroke efficiency....................how few of them you take to get from point A to point B? Where does HR and O2 debt figure in? Just curious.

Stroke count by itself can be a misleading metric.  A stroke technique with a long glide might be able to get you across the pool in a low number of strokes  but at a very slow pace, which is not what you're trying to accomplish.

Dr Genadijus Solokovas (aka Dr. G), former high performance coach for USA Swimming,  has developed techniques for measuring swimmer's forward velocity through their stroke cycles. What he has found is that most swimmers have "dead spots" in their strokes (most often when breathing), so that they are constantly slowing down and then accelerating again.  Working to reduce or eliminate those dead spots will can make your stroke more efficient in terms of the energy or force required to accelerate your body through the water.

Front quadrant swimming is one of the techniques that help in this regard by reducing the deceleration between arm strokes.

As far as HR and O2 debt, those are more a function of cardiovascular conditioning rather than stroke technique alone, assuming the swimmer has some basic level of competence and isn't just thrashing around.

Mark 

2015-09-12 11:53 AM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Part of increasing efficiency is using your lats as the primary workhorse. If you shift the work load onto a larger and stronger muscle group you will be able to go farther per stroke with less effort. Part of the key is grabbing as much water as possible.

As for the idea of hydro planing, this concept does not work for swimming, when you pick up speed on on a speedboat you are going fast enough to raise the boat out of the water, thereby educing drag on the hull of the boat. (this is aided by the shape of the hull0). A swimmer will never go fast enough to accomplish this. This idea though did prevail until around the 90s where swimmers tried to keep as much of them selves on top of the water as possible with the water at their eye line looking forward. This is counterproductive. When you do this, your back end drops and produces much more drag than when you stay flat.

Now, in agreement with Mark, stroke count is misleading. Once you build speed in the water you will want to keep the momentum going otherwise you will slow down and create this infamous "deadspot." However, avoiding this is not matter of increasing stroke rate necessarily, but by decreasing the length of time between power phases of the stroke cycle. In essence you should always be pulling. For example, if i swam a lap in 8 strokes i would be going further per stroke but there would be a significant amount of time during that lap where I was not pulling and just gliding. I can prevent this by taking more strokes and increasing the length of each pull. Alot of swimmers begin their stroke recovery much too early and they do not pull all the way through their stroke. The stroke should end past your hip and begin as far forward as possible.

Edited by jckcrlln 2015-09-12 11:55 AM
2015-09-12 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I was really hoping no one would think I was implying a human could get on plane, swimming. What I was trying to convey is the boat's engine works less when the boat is on plane (going fast enough, with enough power to keep the back up and the front level). So, less power is used (by the engine) to go faster. If a swimmer can increase stroke rate (I would hope he would go faster in the process), could he not improve his body position enough to expend less energy?

Isn't this another way of defining efficiency?

Let me ask this another way.......How FEW strokes can you navigate 25yds in? Now, why don't you do that all the time?

Edited by nc452010 2015-09-12 12:15 PM
2015-09-12 12:42 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
As boats speeds increase the front end raises and they lift over the water, the engine works less due to less drag not better position.

For swimming, lets put it this way: The more water you grab with a single stroke and the further you move that water requires more energy That energy is converted into forward movement (more water=more energy=more distance). This is efficiency where you optimize the amount of energy spent to amount of water moved. the trick is to make sure you are not spending energy in way that is not moving water. If you don't grab more water per stroke but start taking more strokes instead that energy is not completely converted into forward movement but instead into moving you arms at a quicker speed. Simply moving you arms faster is not efficient but it does increase speed. Your car engine is not more efficient at higher RPMs but it is faster.
2015-09-12 12:49 PM

User image

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Its also important to remember that strokes per minute and strokes per distance are not the same thing. Sprinters take more strokes per minute than distance swimmers. They also get gassed sooner too. The trick to a fast swim is finding the correct stroke rate for your distance while keeping optimal technique.

And to answer your question earlier. too few strokes will make you lose momentum. It cost energy to overcome inertia to regain speed.

Edited by jckcrlln 2015-09-12 12:57 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increasing stroke rate to become MORE efficient? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Increased sugar consumption linked to increase in diabetes rates Pages: 1 2

Started by Artemis
Views: 2151 Posts: 29

2013-03-27 8:53 AM squirt

Increasing Your Stroke Rate

Started by trinity
Views: 2404 Posts: 23

2012-05-12 11:47 AM AdventureBear

Training stroke rate and stroke length at the same time

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 1153 Posts: 4

2010-09-02 8:57 AM AdventureBear

is my pedal stroke efficient?

Started by amills1210
Views: 1215 Posts: 20

2009-10-30 10:35 PM AdventureBear

How to increase stroke efficiency- bike question

Started by mdg2003
Views: 1501 Posts: 6

2008-09-02 11:05 AM Bigfuzzydoug
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 16, 2008
comments : 4
This article outlines ways to increase your running cadence while also getting the benefits of reduced injury.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
The most common question I hear in the triathlete world about the mysteries of swimming efficiently usually involves something with breathing.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.