United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 8s
Overall Rank = 137/379
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/40
Pre-race routine:

Glad I got up early (3:45AM). Good to listen to wife every now and then :). Bagel for breakfast and coffee(yes, I know, but "gots" to have it---missed my cup b/4 xc meet yesterday....just my routine). As I was packing everything, it started to hit me and even from the night before, I had not done much quality stuff since the end of July nursing "hamy" and cold stuff. Tried to relax, no go...Drive over was good, but nervous. Got there w/ plenty of time. Set up interesting to say the least...Forgot about bike number, which Jack helped to set up. Then it was down time after his instructions.
Event warmup:

Once in the pool area, I was very nervous. Fun watching the others go. Then I got really hungry(need to eat more next time). Stretching and getting feel for the water in the "kids" area.
Swim
  • 07m 10s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Knew this was going to be interesting. The first two laps were manageable, may have started out too fast. After that first 100, the ducking under the ropes got to me, that was the toughest part. Had a hard time getting back in rhythm. Breathing was tough...too much straight up in front to breathe. Tried to be courteous to let others by, but was still turning into them at the wall instead of away. Water in goggles at one point. No telling how many passed me(4-6 maybe)
What would you do differently?:

Need more pool time...and practice that "ducking" thing to be able to get to other lane turning away from the flow of incoming swimmers. (I guess open water would solve that-then I'd have to survive).
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Bike rack was straight in front of pool exit which was good. I didn't seem to have trouble w/ much..about the thing what would make it faster would be shoes clipped in. Kept rechecking in case I forgot anything...gloves, helmet, glasses, snack. A bit nervous but was fine. Little one hollering..."Go Dad" :)

practice getting on to clipped in shoes to run w/ bike.
Bike
  • 48m 39s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out fine. Was not in any rush getting up to speed. First five miles or so, I thought, these rolling hills will eventually fade out...NOT!!! Flat course my foot. Then the head wind----yuk!!!! Cadence was up, even on the uphills. A couple of times I caught myself losing concentration on them, but for the most part did allright w/ the shifting. (Still need more bike base). Downhills were fun. Only two people passed me.....YAY ME :) Took snack bar about 8 miles in. Pressed a bit at 11 miles in. (This little move got me later on the run). Almost messed up on the sharp turn coming in and into the parking lot as well...no penalties :)
Had gotten out of one shoe,,,,BUT FORGOT THE OTHER ONE!!!!!!! So, I just kept shoes on and jogged/waddled transition. (More "Go Dad" :). I actually saw him running across to where my rack was to keep cheering). People must have thought "This kid is excited!!!"
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Had a time w/ setting bike up...Kept thinking I was taking others spots. Need to rethink the shoelace thing....too much time there.

Practice getting off of bike. Get hose shoelace thingies...As I was running out of T2...was thinking this is not bad.(Heard my little one holler again, and announcer picking up on it was cool).
Run
  • 22m 36s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not think I would have any trouble in this part. WRONG!!! The 11 mile move on the bike to finish, got to me. (I think)....The first 3 minutes or so were nasty....lost my number at one point..stopped for that. Then two people passed me. Grrr. Once I settle in, it was ok.. Took water whenever I could.

More bike/run bricks..longer???
Post race
Warm down:

walked a bit getting my legs under me...drinking water. I was hungry!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SURVIVED!!!! Funky last three weeks did not help. I had actually told my wife 1:20 :) Last three weeks of trainig were almost nil....Had a spin here and there, some pool time, very little run. Guess as good as expected. Had a blast!!!!!

Event comments:

RD did great job. Lots of help throughout the course. Guess bike route could have been a bit smoother, had a ditch here and there.

Last updated: 2006-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:10 | 300 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 300/379
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: lap pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:39 | 14 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Overall: 158/379
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:36 | 02.9 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 85/379
Performance: Below average
Course: XC course...grass can be tough!!!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-29 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon

2006-08-29 10:16 PM
in reply to: #526358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: RE: 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon

you still did awesome!!!

great job!!! what a great cheerleading crowd you had!

2006-08-30 8:17 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job! You still should have introduced yourself though! Next time.

Congrats!

2006-08-30 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
What gets me is that your run is blistering fast and you think it is slow? But then again, you are a runner! Great race. Glad you had fun. I have never done a pool swim tri, so it was helpful to read your report.
2006-08-31 8:59 AM

User image

, Texas
Great race, wasn't this your first? Congrats, and I agree that is a smokin run time.
2006-08-31 9:34 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great job! Gotta love the "Go Dad!" from the cheering section.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 'Tri The Rock' Triathlon Rss Feed