General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2015-09-15 6:10 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Transition time - how important is it?
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by marysia83  - should I dry my feet perfectly after swim part

No

and forget the socks too. If you need socks when you run put them on after your bike when your feet are dry. But better still train so you can go with out them.
That's one option. Another is to have your socks rolled up so you just slip your toes into them and unroll them onto your feet in T1. It's much faster than trying to slide them on over wet feet.

2015-09-15 6:16 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Baby powder in the shoes/socks (put it in before or while you set up transition, not during transition!) also really helps speed up the process, even if your feet are somewhat wet. I've never been able to bike/run without socks beyond sprint distance (and even then, usually get blisters), probably due to the heat and humidity at most of my events, but the baby powder is a life-saver!
2015-09-15 8:01 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Originally posted by marysia83

I am fairly new to triathlon and this is a question that occupies my mind once in a while.
The transition time is included in your total time, but how important is it? How much attention do you pay to it?Obviously, everyone wants to have the fastest transition time, but while swim/bike/run distances are usually the same - the transition distance (and area) may vary. In my local tri it was easy to go through transitions in less than a minute, but in Chicago Tri there was over 450 meters to run from swim to T1, and then another probably 300 to find a bike. So the time for that part could not be less than 5 minutes (in most cases).

I'm just wondering what are your thought about it. And if you only focus on your time for swim/run/bike legs.

Thanks!
Mary

I looked at it during one of my last 70.3s, Raleigh I think, and my combined transition times were 1 min faster than the rest of the top 10 in my AG. That's a free minute.
2015-09-15 8:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Originally posted by Left Brain

T1 - Put your helmet on and go.  Get your glasses on your face when you can.  Put your feet in your shoes when you are up to speed. 

T2 - Feet out of shoes on way to transition.  Rack your bike.  Take your helmet off.  Put on your shoes and go.

It takes seconds to get it done.

That's a cool bike rack. Never seen that before.
2015-09-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Pro

Originally posted by smoom

T1 - Put your helmet on and go.  Get your glasses on your face when you can.  Put your feet in your shoes when you are up to speed. 

T2 - Feet out of shoes on way to transition.  Rack your bike.  Take your helmet off.  Put on your shoes and go.

We're not fast enough to see those at our races.

2015-09-15 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
To answer the original question it's only as important as you make it. I do tris for fun but I also have a competitive spirit but I do not practice transitions. I run in my bike shoes, have never done a "flying" dismount and I'm pretty slow getting out of my wetsuit. You'll take notice of your transition times if you miss a podium spot by seconds rather than minutes and find out the next person ahead of you beat you in transition by 30 seconds etc. I've had that happen before. I joke around with my friends about getting that T-shirt that says "Lost in Transition".

2015-09-15 8:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Subject: ---
Arrgh. I can't figure out how to delete this post.

Edited by smoom 2015-09-15 9:03 AM
2015-09-15 9:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

Originally posted by smoom

We're not fast enough to see those at our races.

You got that right!

I'm surprised none of the organizers have started to let you pay for a cool transition spot.
2015-09-15 9:08 AM

User image

It pays to practice what ever advice you take from here. I spent about a year starting every ride with my shoes clipped in and getting my feet out before stopping. Last race I did I was 1 OA in T1 and 13 OA in T2. Mike761 beat me by 8 secs OA in that race so I have to live with that T2 time now ! Forget the fact that he passed me on the bike and didn't say "on your left" , it was all T2.
2015-09-15 9:31 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Baby powder in the shoes/socks (put it in before or while you set up transition, not during transition!) also really helps speed up the process, even if your feet are somewhat wet. I've never been able to bike/run without socks beyond sprint distance (and even then, usually get blisters), probably due to the heat and humidity at most of my events, but the baby powder is a life-saver!

Ditto, I really don't like the sockless thing...it's one of the triathlon nuances I'll never end up subscribing to. I'm a sweater and all that pooling into my shoes would probably kill my time worse than the time it takes to put socks on because of the discomfort. It's why I asked that question about shoes already clipped in vs. putting them on time wise. But rolled up with pre- filled baby powder is a key move

Edited by TJHammer 2015-09-15 9:31 AM
2015-09-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Transition time improves greatly with experience and practice.  I went from "dude, did you bring a bottle of wine to your picnic?" to MOP in transition over the course of a few races by streamlining my equipment (getting the right socks), process (getting the ##%@! wetsuit off) and pace (run with the bike, dummy!). 

Getting to the pointy end would involve the more intense transition practices like flying mounts/dismounts, shoes mounted on the bike, etc.

2015-09-15 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by marysia83 I am fairly new to triathlon and this is a question that occupies my mind once in a while. The transition time is included in your total time, but how important is it? How much attention do you pay to it?Obviously, everyone wants to have the fastest transition time, but while swim/bike/run distances are usually the same - the transition distance (and area) may vary. In my local tri it was easy to go through transitions in less than a minute, but in Chicago Tri there was over 450 meters to run from swim to T1, and then another probably 300 to find a bike. So the time for that part could not be less than 5 minutes (in most cases). I'm just wondering what are your thought about it. And if you only focus on your time for swim/run/bike legs. Thanks! Mary

How much attention matters only to you.  I can tell you this, I came out of the water at my last sprint race a full minute behind a friend of mine.  He came out of T1 a second behind me. To me, it mattered, because he was the only person there that I was racing against.  If saving time is important in a race, you will start to look at all the places you can save.  Mounting a bike, dismounting, equipment placement, running in transitions, grab and go in T2, etc.  It all adds up, and can make a difference.  Not just at the pointy end, but it might matter to your enjoyment if you are simply competing against yourself.  Or against a friend.  

2015-09-15 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Transition time improves greatly with experience and practice.  I went from "dude, did you bring a bottle of wine to your picnic?" to MOP in transition over the course of a few races by streamlining my equipment (getting the right socks), process (getting the ##%@! wetsuit off) and pace (run with the bike, dummy!). 

Getting to the pointy end would involve the more intense transition practices like flying mounts/dismounts, shoes mounted on the bike, etc.

LOL!  When my athletes have long transitions, the joke is that they must have been making a sandwich.  

Skills like flying mounts/dismounts are good to work on eventually, but most people are wasting so much time in other ways in transition that they're a long ways from needing to work on that.  Most people just need to simplify their setup and practice quick, smooth, and controlled movements.  The first thing most should do is get rid of all the extra crap they don't need.  I personally only use flying mounts & dismounts when I'm racing sockless in sprints, yet I normally have some of the fastest transitions in the race.  Here's a pic of a simple clean setup for racing with socks (notice they're rolled up in the shoes), and not doing flying mounts.  ETA:  No buckets, water tubs, water bottles, nutrition, extra equipment, etc.  They will all slow you down.

Edited by TriMyBest 2015-09-15 10:18 AM

(Transition Setup.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Transition Setup.jpg (1656KB - 0 downloads)
2015-09-15 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

On the topic of flying mounts.......you don't have to do them just because your shoes are clicked in.  Run your bike out of transition, put your foot on top of your shoe while the bike is moving, and stand up on the pedal.....then throw your other leg over and go.  You used to do this as a kid when getting on your bike, remember? It's easy......and it's almost just as fast as a "flying mount" and actually easier to control. 

The bottom line is that there are many good tips on this thread for people of all levels.......but you won't help yourself one bit by reading it if you don't incorporate the practice of it into your training.  You really have to practice transitions to get fast at them.......then it's truly free speed.

2015-09-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Ditto, I really don't like the sockless thing...it's one of the triathlon nuances I'll never end up subscribing to. I'm a sweater and all that pooling into my shoes would probably kill my time worse than the time it takes to put socks on because of the discomfort. It's why I asked that question about shoes already clipped in vs. putting them on time wise. But rolled up with pre- filled baby powder is a key move

I'm also a sock guy. I actually didn't realize for my first couple of years that you can still go shoeless in T1 with the shoes on the bike. You just run through T1 and T2 in your socks. Just in case anyone else is limiting themself like I was.
2015-09-15 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

On the topic of flying mounts.......you don't have to do them just because your shoes are clicked in.  Run your bike out of transition, put your foot on top of your shoe while the bike is moving, and stand up on the pedal.....then throw your other leg over and go.  You used to do this as a kid when getting on your bike, remember? It's easy......and it's almost just as fast as a "flying mount" and actually easier to control. 

The bottom line is that there are many good tips on this thread for people of all levels.......but you won't help yourself one bit by reading it if you don't incorporate the practice of it into your training.  You really have to practice transitions to get fast at them.......then it's truly free speed.

I think this is referred to as a "Postman's mount".  It is one of the better things I found that helps me.  Do I save lots of time? Probably not.  I used it as I ran past a group of 3 guys that were all stopped and mounting at the line, then I pushed off and headed out.  A small amount of time saved, and it sure wan't getting me on a podium with my run splits, but it sure felt nice to know I was doing a little something to help my overall time.  And it kept me out of the mess at the mount line while still in control of my bike.

2015-09-15 11:34 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Not sure what it's called but I use the same strategy. I can't run in the cleats I have so a couple years agoI made the decision to try it. Works well enough and I'm suprised I don't see anyone else doing it.
2015-09-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

It pays to practice what ever advice you take from here. I spent about a year starting every ride with my shoes clipped in and getting my feet out before stopping. Last race I did I was 1 OA in T1 and 13 OA in T2. Mike761 beat me by 8 secs OA in that race so I have to live with that T2 time now ! Forget the fact that he passed me on the bike and didn't say "on your left" , it was all T2.

Imagine if I practiced my transitions!
The only time I think about practicing my T1 and T2 is if I have a sprint tri coming up. My run is too slow for me to podium in any event except for a sprint.

Of coarse I did AC challenge 140.6 this summer, went nice and slow in transitions not worried about position at all. After 12 hours of racing I finished 6th in my AG, 5th place beat me by 20 seconds- all transition.
2015-09-15 11:51 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro

Two years ago at the AG Nationals Sprint race there was 1.2 seconds separating 4th-6th place.......overall podium gets 5 places.  There was 45 seconds difference in total transition time in those 3 places.  That was the race for the final podium spot.

2015-09-15 12:29 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano It pays to practice what ever advice you take from here. I spent about a year starting every ride with my shoes clipped in and getting my feet out before stopping. Last race I did I was 1 OA in T1 and 13 OA in T2. Mike761 beat me by 8 secs OA in that race so I have to live with that T2 time now ! Forget the fact that he passed me on the bike and didn't say "on your left" , it was all T2.
Imagine if I practiced my transitions! The only time I think about practicing my T1 and T2 is if I have a sprint tri coming up. My run is too slow for me to podium in any event except for a sprint. Of coarse I did AC challenge 140.6 this summer, went nice and slow in transitions not worried about position at all. After 12 hours of racing I finished 6th in my AG, 5th place beat me by 20 seconds- all transition.

Yep, transitions definitely matter if you want to be on the podium.  I can't recall, does Challenge go 5 deep for AG podiums?

This thread got me thinking about some of my own races over the years, and I remembered Savageman in 2011.  It was fairly cold (about 50 degrees at the start), and much of the first 18 miles of the bike is downhill and shaded, so I decided to throw on a long sleeve top in T1.  I picked one that only zipped part way down, so I wouldn't struggle with a zipper with cold fingers, was snug enough not to flap in the breeze, but loose enough to get on relatively easily when wet from the swim.  I thought my T1 was ok, but not spectacular.  It ended up fast enough to be 4th/64 in my AG and 30th/390 OA.  I was really surprised to see so many giving up free time, because this race usually has a deep field with a lot of talent.  Even though I wasn't competing for the podium there, it's still good practice to try to do everything well for the races where you will be.  In this case, choosing the right clothing probably made a difference.

Earlier this spring, in my only race of the year, I beat out 2 of my own athletes in a local sprint tri in large part because of transitions.  I was 2nd, and my one guy was 3rd, giving up approximately a minute to me in transitions.  My other guy was 4th, and he gave up another 2 minutes to our guy in 3rd (3 minutes to me), because this was his first tri, and we hadn't worked on his transitions too much yet.  In this case, going sockless, and having more experience gave me transitions of :35 and :21 (3rd and 2nd fastest of 128 OA).  --  Yes, that is a front door brag.  It's been a rough couple of years for my health, so I'm taking what I can get.   

2015-09-15 12:39 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

LOL!  When my athletes have long transitions, the joke is that they must have been making a sandwich.  

Skills like flying mounts/dismounts are good to work on eventually, but most people are wasting so much time in other ways in transition that they're a long ways from needing to work on that.  Most people just need to simplify their setup and practice quick, smooth, and controlled movements.  The first thing most should do is get rid of all the extra crap they don't need.  I personally only use flying mounts & dismounts when I'm racing sockless in sprints, yet I normally have some of the fastest transitions in the race.  Here's a pic of a simple clean setup for racing with socks (notice they're rolled up in the shoes), and not doing flying mounts.  ETA:  No buckets, water tubs, water bottles, nutrition, extra equipment, etc.  They will all slow you down.

Your pic makes me realize I need to unload my tri bag at transition and then return it to the car. It takes up too much space

2015-09-15 1:07 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by mike761
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano It pays to practice what ever advice you take from here. I spent about a year starting every ride with my shoes clipped in and getting my feet out before stopping. Last race I did I was 1 OA in T1 and 13 OA in T2. Mike761 beat me by 8 secs OA in that race so I have to live with that T2 time now ! Forget the fact that he passed me on the bike and didn't say "on your left" , it was all T2.
Imagine if I practiced my transitions! The only time I think about practicing my T1 and T2 is if I have a sprint tri coming up. My run is too slow for me to podium in any event except for a sprint. Of coarse I did AC challenge 140.6 this summer, went nice and slow in transitions not worried about position at all. After 12 hours of racing I finished 6th in my AG, 5th place beat me by 20 seconds- all transition.

Yep, transitions definitely matter if you want to be on the podium.  I can't recall, does Challenge go 5 deep for AG podiums?

This thread got me thinking about some of my own races over the years, and I remembered Savageman in 2011.  It was fairly cold (about 50 degrees at the start), and much of the first 18 miles of the bike is downhill and shaded, so I decided to throw on a long sleeve top in T1.  I picked one that only zipped part way down, so I wouldn't struggle with a zipper with cold fingers, was snug enough not to flap in the breeze, but loose enough to get on relatively easily when wet from the swim.  I thought my T1 was ok, but not spectacular.  It ended up fast enough to be 4th/64 in my AG and 30th/390 OA.  I was really surprised to see so many giving up free time, because this race usually has a deep field with a lot of talent.  Even though I wasn't competing for the podium there, it's still good practice to try to do everything well for the races where you will be.  In this case, choosing the right clothing probably made a difference.

Earlier this spring, in my only race of the year, I beat out 2 of my own athletes in a local sprint tri in large part because of transitions.  I was 2nd, and my one guy was 3rd, giving up approximately a minute to me in transitions.  My other guy was 4th, and he gave up another 2 minutes to our guy in 3rd (3 minutes to me), because this was his first tri, and we hadn't worked on his transitions too much yet.  In this case, going sockless, and having more experience gave me transitions of :35 and :21 (3rd and 2nd fastest of 128 OA).  --  Yes, that is a front door brag.  It's been a rough couple of years for my health, so I'm taking what I can get.   

They only went 3 deep on awards.

This was my first 140.6 so I was very leisurely in T1&2. I think I was only behind 4th place by about 4 minutes, which I could have made up in T's as well. No regrets as I would have had to drop 40 minutes to get to 3rd place
2015-09-16 1:43 AM

User image

Hey Mary, transition is just one more challenge to optimise.

There is great advice above but one thing that has always paid off for me is simply to turn up early.
Get a good rack point for your bike, scope out the entrys and exits for both the run and the bike and the dismount line for the bike.

I'm doing my first half Ironman next year, I am bloggin about my journey and the things I have learnt along the way.
Please do have a look, and please like, comment or even better follow...!

http://www.triathlondaddy.com
2015-09-16 1:26 PM
in reply to: Triathlon_daddy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

How important?

I came in second on my last race by 18 seconds. He was faster on the swim. I was faster on the bike and run. He was faster in transitions by a total of about 30 seconds. I am usually faster in transitions and will not go into detail but totally my fault on the slower times.
2015-09-16 3:59 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by nc452010
I agree that it's your race, though. I'd sure hate to know I was faster in all 3 disciplines than the person who finished ahead of me............because I got beat in transition(s).

You mean like at Memphis in May this year?

712 #8 (total)1:40:33.35 (swim)13:55.85@2:35/100M (T1)1:41.96 (bike)43:[email protected] mph (T2)1:36.27 (run)39:49.10@13:16/mile

(me) 628 #9 (total)1:42:06.32 (swim)13:36.35@2:32/100M (T1)3:29.34 (bike)43:[email protected] mph (T2)2:03.99 (run)39:44.53@13:14/mile

I lost a place by 1:32.97 because he out-transitioned me by 2:15.10. Now, in the spirit of full disclosure, I find this to be hilarious because I see myself as a finisher. I am not there to compete with anyone but myself and my times did improve across the board from last year. Well... my swim pace improved, but the time was longer due to a longer swim.

Edited by WebFootFreak 2015-09-16 4:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition time - how important is it? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Swim timing end, transition T1 time start

Started by Pete1234
Views: 1901 Posts: 11

2011-05-03 10:42 PM Pete1234

transitions, and why they are important! Pages: 1 2

Started by newbz
Views: 2435 Posts: 35

2009-12-23 7:37 AM ron brownlow

Fast transitions are important!!!

Started by famelec
Views: 424 Posts: 1

2007-04-02 2:59 PM famelec

Transition time during a brick?

Started by snoopy
Views: 705 Posts: 7

2006-04-22 7:51 PM Det

Transition Times

Started by lexington476
Views: 548 Posts: 2

2005-05-09 5:23 PM ellismichael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.