General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Park City, Utah
United States
Tri Utah
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 29s
Overall Rank = 15/387
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/49
Pre-race routine:

The race morning is a bit of a blur. I got home from a business trip to Boston right around 1:00 AM and packed up my things to go. After a few short hours of sleep, I headed to the lake with Kenny. I got there early because he was doing the Oly distance, so I had plenty of time to prepare transition and chat with people.
Event warmup:

About 30 mins before the race started, I made my way down the 1/2 mile road to the boat ramp. I decided to go for a run up the trail to warm up, but was gone longer than anticipated. I got back just in time to hear them announce that my wave would start in 3 minutes. I had to make my way through a crowd of people to my swim gear, put it on, then run down the rocky, thorny side of the hill to the lake. I jumped in right as they sounded the horn.
Swim
  • 20h 07m
  • 820 yards
  • 2h 27m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Because of my awesome pre-race time management, I had to dive in the lake and start at the back of the pack. I had a really hard time passing people and wasn't able to swim fast at all until I rounded the first buoy. Then the main pack started heading toward a boat instead of the buoy, so I was pretty much free to swim on my own. I made up a bit of time, but still didn't end up with the best swim.

Note that the timing system wasn't working properly for the swim. I hit 20 mins right before I ran into transition, which included removal of the wetsuit, putting on running shoes and running the 1/2 mile "Trail of Tears."

As I came out of the water, a friend announced that I was in the top 25. This was a surprise to me, considering that I felt that the swim was pretty lousy.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up and start on time. I'm fast enough now that I can start out in front and sprint the first 1/3.

Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. I pretty much blew through it.
Bike
  • 37m 56s
  • 14 miles
  • 22.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very interesting bike ride. I left transition and flew by 5-6 guys in the first couple of miles, then had the road all to myself until after the turnaround, where I met up with the Olympic athletes who had started an hour earlier. I had forgotten to move my speed sensor from my training wheelset, so I had no idea how fast I was going, but I knew that I was flying. I finished the difficult part of the course and was just getting to the fast part, where I knew I had an advantage, being a heavier rider.

Just as I was starting to hit the downhill, I came upon a support 4 wheeler that was moving rather slowly down the middle of the road. I didn't want to pass on the left for fear of going into oncoming traffic, and because he was mostly to the left of the lane, so I came around the right. I yelled "Passing on the right" as I came up. I apparently spooked the guy, because he veered sharply to the right of the road, forcing me off onto the soft, gravelly shoulder. I managed to barely stay upright through the stuff and slowed down almost to a stop before I had full control again. I stood up and cranked as hard as I could to get up to speed and pass him.

Not long after I had done this, a big monster truck (Ford F350) pulled right out in front of me at the top of the big hill. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard to avoid hitting the back of his truck as he sped up. Last year, I broke 60 mph on this hill. I was looking forward to seeing what I could do in aero position on the tri bike, but it was not to be. I had to ride the brakes all the way down the hill at about 40 mph. I was then stuck behind the guy for the remaining 3-4 miles of the race going 8-10 mph slower than I would have solo. I figure I lost a good 2-3 minutes because of these two incidences. It was kind of a bummer, because that would have put me at the top bike split of the day. It's a good thing that I've got one more sprint tri this year to try again.

Nothing. I had a GREAT ride that had a few elements that were out of my control.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

This transition was pretty good, although someone left their bike on the ground right in the middle of the pathway. I was running along next to my bike, pushing it with my hand on the saddle when I had to stop and pick it up to jump over the other bike. This was relatively minor, but still an annoyance.

Nothing. This is the first time I've actually removed shoes prior to coming into transition and run barefoot. I'd do it again next time.
Run
  • 19m 41s
  • 2.69 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was running in slow motion, but that's mostly because the course had a lot of uphill. Overall, I placed better than I thought on the run. Yet I think I could improve on the run by Ogden.

I did get passed by one person while running. I had blown past him on the bike before my slowdown, but he didn't quite catch up until the run.

I really wasn't feeling too tired when I finished. I probably should have picked up the pace a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit, ate some food and rehydrated. I talked to a few of the top competitors and some friends as they finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The business trip that ended at 1:00 AM the morning of the race was certainly a limiting factor. Overall, I feel that I need to keep the speedwork up for a few weeks on both the bike and run. My biggest weakness is still the swim, though. I may need to get some one on one lessons over the winter or something.

Event comments:

I really enjoy the venue. TriUtah always puts on good events. The only downside to this race is the 4 mile shuttle ride in from the parking lot. If you ride it out on the bike, you have to climb the BIG hill when you've just finished racing.

Last updated: 2006-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
20:07:00 | 820 yards | 2h 27m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/49
Overall: 43/387
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speedsuit
Course: The course was a triangle loop in Jordanelle Reservoir.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:56 | 14 miles | 22.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/49
Overall: 7/387
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: The course was an out and back that climbed steadily at roughly 2% until the turnaround, at which point there was a pretty significant 1/4 mile climb, then some rolling before it hit a long, STEEP hill, followed by gradual downhill back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:41 | 02.69 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/49
Overall: 24/387
Course: The course wound over the top of several small hills through the dirt trails of a campground, then up a steep hill to the main road, then back down on the paved road to transition. It's a bit short, but easily the toughest run course I've done in a tri.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-29 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed