Katy Rotary
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 54s
Overall Rank = 2/277
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/35
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal and coffee before leaving the house. This race is only 10 minutes from my house so I didn't have to get up very early.
Event warmup:

Ran 1.5 miles at easy pace and some arm swinging before getting in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 11s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

My plan was to just swim hard the whole time at what felt like a sustainable pace. I wasn't planning on going out really hard, but when a few knuckleheads decided they were going to kill themselves in the first 50 meters, I had to turn in on a bit to get away from them.

The next 200 meters or so were rather uneventful. I got into a rhythm and was only having to sight every 10 strokes or so. But by the first turn buoy I caught the slow people from the previous wave and from then on out I felt like I was zig zagging constantly around people.

Considering the traffic I had to deal with I'm super happy with this swim, especially since it took a while to get out of the water. I figure I actually swam the 500 meters in about 6:45 which wouldn't be that far off from the 6:30 I was targeting.
What would you do differently?:

The long warmup I did really helped get into a rhythm quickly on this swim. I'll continue to do that. I don't think I'd change anything.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Pretty textbook T1 other than having trouble getting into my shoes once on the bike. It didn't really cost me too much time though. I was slowed trying to run out with my bike by a couple of people slowly walking their bikes out in front of me.

I haven't ever had trouble getting into the shoes before, but I probably could have done a bit more practice leading up to the race.
Bike
  • 31m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 23.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good getting up to speed on the bike. I noticed that my HR was 175 but wasn't too worried about that as I figured it would drop as the ride went on. I passed a guy (previous wave 50+) getting into his shoes just onto the first main road, and tried to maintain 250W. This guy came past me a few minutes later and my HR hadn't dropped at all so I figured it was a good time to follow him at draft legal distance.

My HR definitely started to come down some, but I noticed that he wasn't maintaining the same speed I was prior to him passing me. We were almost to the turn onto the next major road, so I hung back until we got there then went around him hard. After that I settled in to around 235-240 watts for the remainder or the bike. I was hoping to do 250, but I thought it would be better to keep my HR 165ish as opposed to 170-175ish, and I was still doing 23-24mph at 235-240.

I figured I was out front of my age group comfortably (didn't see anyone close after making the turnaround at the halfway point) and was most worried about getting caught on the run. I knew the pace I was maintaining would be one of the best splits regardless of missing my targeted watts. I think I could have maintained 250W & 175 HR, but I don't have a lot of experience with this type of effort so I played it a little safe.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

Good T2 for me. I seem to always have a little trouble with getting the tongues on my shoes to lay flat. That's probably just an issue with these shoes though.

nada
Run
  • 20m 43s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel so good the first half mile or so. I was running about 6:45 pace which was my target. I eased a little to let my HR come down some. After looking back at the data I did the next half mile at 7:22/mi or so and my HR came down to high 160s.

By the end of the first mile I got my running legs and started to feel good and was able to pick up the pace fairly effortlessly. I charged through both aid stations without slowing down since I'd be done shortly. After making the turnaround I only saw people that I had already passed until I couldn't see the other side of the pond anymore. With no apparent chasers I wasn't real motivated to put myself into a dark spot to finish out the race. Toward the end of the run there is a short out and back and once again there was no one chasing me so I just cruised to the finish.

When I ran a stand alone 5K in May, my HR was over 180 for the whole last 2 miles and topped out at 187. I think I should be able to push myself like that in a sprint run too, but don't really know. I definitely could have run faster, but I'm not sure how much. I wish I would have really challenged myself to find out.
Post race
Warm down:

Confirmed that no one had beaten me in the swim and thus had won my AG. Celebrated with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just learning how to really push yourself in these sprint distances and when you're fatigued. Most of my training is Z2 type of stuff, so I'm not real used to pushing hard when your HR is sky high.

Event comments:

Post race food was a little disappointing, but they did have No Label Brewery beer that mostly made up for it. ;)

Last updated: 2015-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:11 | 500 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 4/277
Performance: Good
Suit: Kiwami Amphibian Prima
Course: 1 loop in neighborhood pond
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:01.9
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:31:15 | 12 miles | 23.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/35
Overall: 3/277
Avg HR: 169, NPower: 237
Wind: Little
Course: out and back down 1463 & 90
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42.8
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:43 | 03 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/35
Overall: 6/277
Avg HR: 171, Mile 1: 7:02, Mile 2: 6:49, Mile 3: 6:52
Course: One flat loop around retention ponds. Can see other side pretty easily so once you hit the turnaround you can look for chasers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-09-28 9:59 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Katy Triathlon

2015-09-28 11:31 AM
in reply to: #5143496

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Katy Triathlon

Wow congrats on the AG win and OA 2nd!!! Great job!

Sounds like you had a good time and were thoughtful about keeping your effort level where it needed to be.

2015-09-28 12:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Great race! Great transitions, too. They are often overlooked but so important!

I think good post race beer makes up for any shortcomings in the food

2015-09-29 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
nice push!!

reading about people's watts is getting me excited to see where I ride!

Congrats!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2015-09-29 3:48 PM
2015-09-30 12:15 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

1st AG and 2nd OA, wow!!  Speedy boy!  Solid work out there, my friend, well done and congrats!

2015-09-30 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Well done, congratulations.  The sprint distance really is an interesting animal.  Push hard the whole time, but not "too" hard.  It is a challenge to figure out what you should be doing, but it sure looks like you are figuring it out!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Katy Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Katy Triathlon at Firethorne

Started by RacerRik
Views: 2872 Posts: 1

2010-01-15 7:17 PM RacerRik

Katy Triathlon at Firethorne

Started by jtbaldwin
Views: 1385 Posts: 1

2009-11-15 5:58 PM jtbaldwin