United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 29m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Had a bagel w/ nutella, coffee. Arrived at site early. Ocean was rough. Even in the dark could tell the waves were big. Setup transition, talked with a few others. A lot of people were talking about the swim. Oh well, it will be what it will be.
Event warmup:

Stretched, swam out to the first buoy (40 ish yards) relaxed and swam back in. Waves were 3 - 4 ft. w/ additional "rollers" thrown in.
Swim
  • 46m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough swim, went better than expected.
Quite a few didn't make it past the first buoy - A kayak flipped while setting up the course.
What would you do differently?:

More ocean swimming.
More practice - dedicated routine for getting faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

Planned on taking more time in transitions to eat / drink. I did NOT do this. I ended up rushing the transition and getting on the bike quicker than I had planned.

Take a little more time, eat as planned.
Bike
  • 3h 25m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.31 mile/hr
Comments:

There was only one drink station at 25 miles. I carried 4 bottles w/ me.
1 - perpetuem w/ 400 calories
2 - gatorade / water mix
1 - water
I planned on picking up another bottle of water and gatorade. The station did NOT have any bottles?? I had to refill my water bottle from cups. They were running out of water, had no snacks left that I was aware of??

I did not end up drinking all I had as I was concerend about running out.

Better plan to be self sufficient. More and more biking... This was probably the event I was most ready for.
Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Again I wanted to take my time and drink / eat a bit. I did not do this.. I did grab a swig of gatorade from what I had left on the bike.

Not rush so much...
Run
  • 3h 10m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The aid stations were spaced out a bit sporadic. They were not really on the mile markers. One of them was abandoned with a bunch of cups pre poured??
Snacks were mostly pretzels. Most other stuff ran out... I was one of the last to run so I guess I got leftovers.

Train better on the run. I am now doing a planned run program which I notice a big difference. I mostly worked out to get my endurance up and make sure I could finish, which I did. I will now start to focus on finishing faster..

The gels I had started making me feel queazy. I did not eat two of them. I added a few of the pretzels.. not enough fuel. Did a little too much on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around - drank a powerade (warm) - had my wife get my some cold drinks from our car. There were no after race eats / snacks / event? I thought there was an award ceremony at 4:00 - but there wasn't anyone around except for a few people. Most of the transition was taken down. The ending was a little lack luster.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.. I did not follow a dedicated plan. Most of my workouts were "on the fly". I just made sure I could do the distances... Need to focus more on planned workouts and goals along the way...

Event comments:

Overall a good race for my current abilities.

Started a bit late due to ocean / waves... setup of course took a bit longer than planned I guess?

Volunteers / drink stations - there were plenty, just not predictable. Miles 7,8 I didn't see any? One was abandoned.. still had drinks poured in cups... One the volunteer was busy texting / on cell phone and didn't even realize I was there until I passed by.. helped myself.

Last updated: 2015-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:39 | 2112 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Figure I would just take it one buoy at a time. Slow and steady - don't worry about anything else. One buoy at a time. One event at a time.
Suit: Xterra sleevless
Course: Rectangle - clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:25:57 | 56 miles | 16.31 mile/hr
HR stayed around 155 - I wanted to keep below 140, that didn't happen. Tried to push a bit more than I should of.
Wind: Some
Course: A trip around Martha's Vineyard. Really nice route. a few segments were right into the wind. Much of it was protected. Plenty of shade
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:10:54 | 13.1 miles | 14m 34s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Heart rate stayed above 150. I had planned on keeping below 140.. didn't happen.
Course: rollers - pretty flat. Seemed a bit hillier that the road since we were running mostly on the bike paths. Very nice..
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-09-30 7:14 PM

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Subject: Vineyard 70.3

2015-11-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5144141

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Vineyard 70.3
Dennis, this looks like a solid race to me. Your swim, bike and run were at a similar pace per sport. It sucks that they ran out of stuff for you to keep your calories up. Careful about doing 4 cups of beverage at one aid station = side stitches and a sloshy tummy for sure. All in all a great day... but I know we can get you through this faster 8).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineyard 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Vineyard Run

Started by cody208
Views: 907 Posts: 2

2006-10-01 10:13 AM drdi

Vineyard Live Well Tri

Started by marina
Views: 1884 Posts: 3

2006-06-08 11:43 AM Sassafras

Vineyard Living Well Duathlon

Started by tnickerson
Views: 1125 Posts: 3

2006-05-28 9:51 AM tri_it_cajun_style

Run through the Vineyards (18th Annual)

Started by Shawn_Ullrich
Views: 851 Posts: 3

2005-05-24 2:20 PM Shawn_Ullrich

Carneros Vineyard Run

Started by madkat
Views: 1150 Posts: 3

2005-04-03 5:13 AM johnboy.au
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.