Overall Rank = 490/1180
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 91/144
Swim
  • 47m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water temp the morning of the race was 77 and in order to wear a wet suit it needs to be 76.1. They did allow participants to wear a wet suit but only if they went last. I was originally scheduled in the first wave at 6:30 but went at 7:45.

I did the full Ironman Arizona in 2013 and the mass start is crazy - this was similar. There were hundreds of people deciding to go last in order to wear the wet suit. It was a constant fight for position for the first 200-300 yards but eventually smoothed out.

I normally struggle on the swim and finish in the lower 85% but the hard work at the pool has paid off some. To finish in the top 52% is great for me.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim more. I have a coach now and it has helped a bunch. Thanks Terry!
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Not much here, ran from the lake to my bike. Got some nutrition and I was off.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a bit apprehensive about this bike course. Three loops around Tempe with 7 U-turns on each loop seems odd, but it was not bad at all. I flew through the course averaging almost 20 MPH on the first two loops. The wind picked-up on the final loop so my speed went down. No biggie.

The u-turns are fast and set-up well. Really not a problem. Also, the course elevation showed a few hills but they really were not a factor.

Because of the heat, I drank about 80oz on the bike, took GU every 30min with a salt stick cap. That is what I practiced so that's what I did.

Not much - felt great.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

Got a nice cramp coming off the bike - that was fun. T2 took a bit longer because I need to put on some Glide and sunscreen.
Run
  • 2h 41m 48s
  • 13.65 miles
  • 11m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay - this is where the problems all started. If you look at the final mileage above I entered 13.65, because that's what it was. After the race, Ironman posted an announcement admitting to changing the course because of a tragic accident that morning. I understand that, but to make the course .55mi longer is ridiculous. That distance could have been taken out of a out-n-back on the SE side past Rural Rd. That distance was .25 per lap. So, no excuse IM for not changing the distance.

With 92 degree heat, this run was a B!%@#! Just no way to cool down and no shade anywhere. I tried to keep up with fluid in-take, nutrition, and ice.

The course was flat, good number of aid stations, and volunteers were awesome! I was hurting on this run. Cramping was an issue. Jeremy caught up to me and we finished the race together.

Hydrate better - adapt to that type of heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished - got a burger and some fluids. Didn't barf so that's good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hydration

Event comments:

I give this race a "Average" rating for a few reasons. Some of those reasons are controllable and some are not. Moving all of the wet suit wearers to the end over .9 of a degree. Really? The temperature taken at race start ended up being 76. I know IM moves the "wet suit" people because they need to know who is not eligible for AG awards. Just seems like a pain.

Second, the distance on the run could have been easily adjusted by cutting out the SE corner just past Rural Rd. Everyone mentioned this after the race and IM admitted the issue but not the mistake. In my opinion, they used the tragedy that morning as an excuse (just see their Facebook page). I don't like that - it is disrespecting the five people that lost their lives. Own up to your mistake - don't blame that on an accident.

The heat is something that is not controllable obviously. If you sign-up for a race in Tempe in October - you take that chance. 10% of the people that started the race DNF'd. That should say something about the heat.

This is a good venue for a race - I said that when I did IMAZ there in 2013. People are great, volunteers were awesome, police and fire rocked, and the city of Tempe always puts on a good event.

Last updated: 2015-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:08 | 2112 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 89/144
Overall: 616/1180
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Single Loop
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:03 | 56 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/144
Overall: 435/1180
Wind: Strong
Course: Three Loops
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:41:48 | 13.65 miles | 11m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 92/144
Overall: 511/1180
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %4-5%
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-10-20 4:35 PM

Subject: Ironman Arizona 70.3
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by MikeB
Views: 10699 Posts: 60

2006-04-12 11:01 AM devotchkatata

Ironman 70.3 California

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 4108 Posts: 23

2006-03-21 10:25 AM dajeeman357

Ironman Arizona

Started by stinger
Views: 1681 Posts: 7

2005-07-09 10:57 PM cadreamer

Ironman Arizona Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madcow
Views: 6510 Posts: 53

2005-04-20 11:48 AM DB8

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7183 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 2
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.