General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 21 Day Fix Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-10-25 11:59 AM

User image

Subject: 21 Day Fix
Anyone try this while training? I am in week two of training as well as on my second week of 21 Day Fix. Overall finding it is giving me a lot of plant based nutrition. Hardest part so far is the protein category since we eat a vegetarian diet and most weeks I'm closer to vegan.

Autumn aka Fixie

2015-10-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: #5148818

User image

Subject: RE: 21 Day Fix
I tried it earlier this year and had some success. I think it's best for people like myself who struggle with portion control. I was shocked the first time I put an actual serving of rice on my plate. Apparently my normal serving was actually 4 servings!
2015-10-25 8:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by fixie Anyone try this while training? I am in week two of training as well as on my second week of 21 Day Fix. Overall finding it is giving me a lot of plant based nutrition. Hardest part so far is the protein category since we eat a vegetarian diet and most weeks I'm closer to vegan. Autumn aka Fixie

why are you having trouble with protein?

ETA: just looked up 21 day fix...........there are many ways to eat healthy that don't involve what I would consider a gimmick.  If you want some tips on how to eat a healthy, non-restrictive vegan diet and train let me know.

Edited by dmiller5 2015-10-25 8:53 PM
2015-10-25 10:50 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by fixie Anyone try this while training? I am in week two of training as well as on my second week of 21 Day Fix. Overall finding it is giving me a lot of plant based nutrition. Hardest part so far is the protein category since we eat a vegetarian diet and most weeks I'm closer to vegan. Autumn aka Fixie

ETA: just looked up 21 day fix...........there are many ways to eat healthy that don't involve what I would consider a gimmick.  If you want some tips on how to eat a healthy, non-restrictive vegan diet and train let me know.

Curious which parts you see as the gimmick...the containers?

They have been really great for many friends of mine who have done it that have trouble with portion control, which is the whole point of the "fix"
2015-10-25 11:15 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not a big fan of the 21 day fix, it tends to be pitched as a short term fix by all the beach body people I know, who repeatedly go on it to "fix" their diet "mistakes", and it's kind of an expensive system for portion control.

Can get similar enough "portion control" advice from elsewhere too eg:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide

That said, we tend to need to increase our calories more than the average person because of our activity levels.

All that said, if using the containers motivates you, and you can't use other portion control methods effectively, or approximate calorie intake for a bit til it's more intuitive, and don't mind the price tag, there's nothing inherently wrong with it, and may work well for some people.
2015-10-25 11:47 PM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I agree, the palm, fist, thumb guidelines are pretty good.

Bottom line is that if it works for someone, I'm not going to criticize it.

2015-10-26 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

a quick google turned up this

Want amazing results in 21 days?

You need 21 Day Fix.
Losing weight has never been
faster—or simpler.

and that's a gimmick.  LOSE WEIGHT IN 21 DAYS AND ITS EASY.  Anyone selling you a program and saying that it is quick, easy, and its for a specific period of time should be suspect.  Diet is a lifestyle thing, not a lark you do for 3 weeks to lose weight.   Weight loss doesn't mean you're eating a healthy diet either.  I could lose weight eating big macs, and I can gain weight eating a vegan diet.

2015-10-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

molto veloce mama
I got nervous at first looking at the containers and counting out 8 cashews. I am on day 11 right now and have found it hard to eat all the food!

Originally posted by Toefuzz

I tried it earlier this year and had some success. I think it's best for people like myself who struggle with portion control. I was shocked the first time I put an actual serving of rice on my plate. Apparently my normal serving was actually 4 servings!
2015-10-26 10:21 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
I am currently on day 11 and down 4 pounds overall, with 2% BF lost, and finding it stupidly easy to stick to (other than not being able to eat enough protein. I don't want to eat tempeh ever ever again). So, here is my initial review:

I don't disagree that it is marketed in a gimmicky quick fix way. It absolutely is. Apparently there are infomercials and 'for three easy payments of $19.99" and all of that. I don't watch TV (well, I watch Hulu on occasion) and live in a bit of a media bubble on purpose. I heard about it from a co-worker of mine who was starting the 21 Day Fix through her gym. I did some research and thought "what the hell, I'll do it" but didn't want to spend $$$ to get one of the various starter kits. I found the containers online for $20, the workouts free on Vimeo, and everything else I needed to know about it was online or in the app (also free). So, other than buying the protein powder I already buy, my total spend was $20. Just like P90X (which I have done too!) which is marketed in similarly gimmicky ways, so far what I've seen of the 21 Day Fix program is pretty solid. My gluts are still in pain from leg day yesterday and pilates this morning, and I'm not hungry at all. 20 pounds lost in 21 days is not cool, but even there those folks didn't get those results in 21 days....they cycled through the program several times.

My mantra for many things is "idea-execution-reinforcement". I LOVE to swim around in the idea of different ways of eating (name it I have probably done it: vegan, raw, paleo, macrobiotic, juicing, green smoothie, weight watchers, nutrisystem, intermittent fasting, etc.), but I am always on the looking for tools and programs that look at making the execution and reinforcement of those ideas more realistic. Portion control is a bigger issue for me than even calorie counting. I can enter the calories, but if the portion is twice as big as it really should be (thanks, guesstimating), then the data is bad. I have tons of measuring cups and food scales and special pasta strainers and all of that. These 21 Day Fix containers (even tho I know they are just color coded versions of stuff I already own), are working for me so far. Its really easy to track and plan what I eat during the day with the app without freaking myself out over the details. Both the containers and the app are helping me execute eating a moderate, clean diet with balance. Again, just 11 days in...so reinforcement over time remains to be seen.

Edited by autumn 2015-10-26 10:24 AM
2015-10-26 10:22 AM
in reply to: autumn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

2015-10-26 10:32 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
I get 5 servings of protein a day (protein container is RED and about the side of a deck of cards). The only official vegan protein sources that are in the protein category are protein powder (I use Vega, not the branded stuff that comes with 21F), tofu, and tempeh. I have added in my home made seitan (yes, gluten), and have even had eggs (not vegan, I know) a couple of times since starting the plan.

Most days I have two smoothies with one serving of protein powder each. This helps a lot but mornings and evenings are tough. One tempeh paddy is two servings of protein. Block of tofu end up being closer to three. I have a hard time eating that much tempeh or tofu.

Beans and legumes are considered starches (YELLOW container). Yesterday I had lentils and rice with dinner, but those both came out of my allocation of YELLOW for the day. Also, I love my YELLOWS. I start my day with a cup of oatmeal which is two yellows, and save the other two for evening (usually brown rice, rice and beans or lentils, or quinoa).

2015-10-26 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

this is why I have trouble buying into these systems.  they confuse the issue.

broccoli is 33% protein.  Beans are 20% protein, rice is 8% protein, potatoes are similar.

We don't need to worry about protein.  If you are eating enough calories of whole, plant foods I can almost assure you that you are getting PLENTY of protein.  Don't sweat the colored boxes, and just eat the good ol healthy stuff!

There is no need to pound in tofu, or tempeh, or animal products.  Find the foods you like and eat them.  That oatmeal you love is 12% protein, and 1 cup dry has all the iron you need in a day!

Edited by dmiller5 2015-10-26 10:41 AM
2015-10-26 10:49 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
I don't disagree, but I also am feeling pretty darned good eating with these artificial constrains. Glad to know there is another vegetarian/vegan here. I don't want to pound down the soy products either. Last night I didn't and -2 on my protein, but knew I had gotten some from the lentils and oatmeal. I am trying to stick to the plan as it was designed to see how it goes, but I may eventually sub a high protein starches or veggies for one of my proteins.

broccoli is 33% protein.  Beans are 20% protein, rice is 8% protein, potatoes are similar.

We don't need to worry about protein.  If you are eating enough calories of whole, plant foods I can almost assure you that you are getting PLENTY of protein.  Don't sweat the colored boxes, and just eat the good ol healthy stuff!

There is no need to pound in tofu, or tempeh, or animal products.  Find the foods you like and eat them.  That oatmeal you love is 12% protein, and 1 cup dry has all the iron you need in a day!

Edited by autumn 2015-10-26 10:50 AM
2015-10-26 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by autumn I don't disagree, but I also am feeling pretty darned good eating with these artificial constrains. Glad to know there is another vegetarian/vegan here. I don't want to pound down the soy products either. Last night I didn't and -2 on my protein, but knew I had gotten some from the lentils and oatmeal. I am trying to stick to the plan as it was designed to see how it goes, but I may eventually sub a high protein starches or veggies for one of my proteins.

I'd say, if you enjoy using your containers for portion sizes, go for it!  Using your common sense about adding some potatoes instead of a block of tofu (yuck) is probably the way to go

veggie power!

2015-10-26 11:06 AM

Originally posted by autumn

I am currently on day 11 and down 4 pounds overall, with 2% BF lost, and finding it stupidly easy to stick to (other than not being able to eat enough protein. I don't want to eat tempeh ever ever again). So, here is my initial review:

I don't disagree that it is marketed in a gimmicky quick fix way. It absolutely is. Apparently there are infomercials and 'for three easy payments of $19.99" and all of that. I don't watch TV (well, I watch Hulu on occasion) and live in a bit of a media bubble on purpose. I heard about it from a co-worker of mine who was starting the 21 Day Fix through her gym. I did some research and thought "what the hell, I'll do it" but didn't want to spend $$$ to get one of the various starter kits. I found the containers online for $20, the workouts free on Vimeo, and everything else I needed to know about it was online or in the app (also free). So, other than buying the protein powder I already buy, my total spend was $20. Just like P90X (which I have done too!) which is marketed in similarly gimmicky ways, so far what I've seen of the 21 Day Fix program is pretty solid. My gluts are still in pain from leg day yesterday and pilates this morning, and I'm not hungry at all. 20 pounds lost in 21 days is not cool, but even there those folks didn't get those results in 21 days....they cycled through the program several times.

My mantra for many things is "idea-execution-reinforcement". I LOVE to swim around in the idea of different ways of eating (name it I have probably done it: vegan, raw, paleo, macrobiotic, juicing, green smoothie, weight watchers, nutrisystem, intermittent fasting, etc.), but I am always on the looking for tools and programs that look at making the execution and reinforcement of those ideas more realistic. Portion control is a bigger issue for me than even calorie counting. I can enter the calories, but if the portion is twice as big as it really should be (thanks, guesstimating), then the data is bad. I have tons of measuring cups and food scales and special pasta strainers and all of that. These 21 Day Fix containers (even tho I know they are just color coded versions of stuff I already own), are working for me so far. Its really easy to track and plan what I eat during the day with the app without freaking myself out over the details. Both the containers and the app are helping me execute eating a moderate, clean diet with balance. Again, just 11 days in...so reinforcement over time remains to be seen.

I have no experience with this plan, but I've done a few of the Beach Body programs (P90X a few times, Body Beast, and random videos from the Insanity and X2/X3 series), and I find them to be pretty thorough, efficient workouts. Sure, there's nothing there that you can't find online, but for some (myself included), following a structured plan keeps me focused and on track.

I don't like to use words like "better" or "worse," because my opinion is, unless it's unsafe, it's "better" if it draws you in and motivates you to do something healthy...after that, it's just a matter of finding the right "fit" for your own lifestyle. In my case, P90X get me off the couch, changed my bad eating habits long enough to make them a routine, and led me to "more challenging" exercise, including triathlon. I still do a round of P90X every year after my season ends, planning on starting it 11/1 to keep me fit over the Winter, since endurance sports burn up a LOT of the mass I manage to build every Winter.

The results I had with both P90X and Body Beast were pretty much on par with what they claim...if you push hard though all the workouts, stick with the diet plan, and complete the entire program, you will see some pretty amazing results, especially if you're starting from a "couch potato" background. Most of the dramatic results are in the first month, for most people, so a 21 day diet shake up should probably show some gains.

As far as the 21 day program goes, I don't doubt that it can get some impressive, short term results. Beyond that, it really is a matter of altering your lifestyle and diet, but if it gets the ball rolling, it's served its purpose.

2015-10-26 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Yeah, these systems can definitely confuse people.  I also don't care for them, because they don't teach people how to eat healthy long term.  But, what works great for one person (emotionally and from a lifestyle standpoint, as well as from a physiological standpoint), doesn't work for everyone.  Instead of trying to force a specific solution, it tends to work better to start with a set of principles and goals, then be a bit flexible in the execution to arrive at the goals using the principles.  Where I'm going with this is for the OP, using a system like this may be the best thing for her right now, but there needs to be an exit strategy for transitioning to a more sustainable diet long term.  Some people can benefit emotionally from the boost that a relatively extreme diet can provide short term.  The emotional boost can help them find the motivation to adopt a good long term solution.

I also agree that it's fairly easy to get enough protein from plant sources once you learn which plants contain it, and you get things dialed in.

2015-10-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I didn't realize what 21 Day Fix was, googled it, and now have a better understanding of why these funny little colored cubes recently invaded the office fridge! Guess my boss is Fixing.
I am not a vegetarian, but I eat lots of meatless meals. I can't imagine classifying all my lentils and beans as starch rather than protein. I'd have a tough time with it, too! Glad you're finding some success with it.
2015-10-26 2:34 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's straight up MLM (multi level marketing).  What drives me bat $hit crazy is how somebody that was morbidly obese lost tons of weight.  Kudos!  However, you can't say you are coach unless you go through training and certifications.  That is what I see in this area.  I know first hand and I will challenge them.  Minus all the pills\sups you took, tell me how you lost weight?

2015-10-26 2:42 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

molto veloce mama
They are invading here too!

I thought I liked tempeh okay but last night I was ready to feed it to the dogs (okay, I fed it to my dogs). I think after this first cycle, and after I've gone through the tofu and tempeh I purchased already, I may just say that my staple veggie proteins (black beans, lentils, quinoa, chick peas) all count as a RED instead of a YELLOW. I do want stick to it as flawlessly as possible the first pass of 21 days, and then tweak it..

Originally posted by Atlantia

I didn't realize what 21 Day Fix was, googled it, and now have a better understanding of why these funny little colored cubes recently invaded the office fridge! Guess my boss is Fixing.
I am not a vegetarian, but I eat lots of meatless meals. I can't imagine classifying all my lentils and beans as starch rather than protein. I'd have a tough time with it, too! Glad you're finding some success with it.
2015-10-26 3:07 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
I totally agree. My biggest issue (and one that exists in my family), is that we eat VERY healthy food...we just eat too much of it. Any plan that folds in easy portion control works well for me (execution). It just has to be easy to translate to real life over time, to your point (reinforcement). My HDL is 98, but my weight and BMI are showing the love of good food in a not great way.

As to the psychological aspect - YES. In the past 20 years I have done everything from juice cleanses to Nutrisystem and everything in between. Psychologically 21DF is working well for me. As I plan my day, I am focused on what I CAN eat versus what I'm missing out on (I get X number of REDs, GREENs, BLUEs...container colors, folks, not ludes). The containers are also more than just a measurement tool. They force you into eat clean, whole food. There is no container for a beer and a Big Mac. There IS a container for broccoli and rice and apples. Again, focus is in the affirmative instead of the negative. This works for me.

The other psychological part of this that works well is the duration. I know this goes against everything all of us have read (diets are bad, lifestyle changes are key). Well, my tendency is to do the all-in-lifestyle-revamp...over and over again. "I am going totally raw vegan for life!" and on month 3 I have cooked rice. "I am going macrobiotic" and then I have a donut. I mess up my 'lifestyle' and am deflated and go off the tracks royally. I go ALL in and then derail at the slightest imperfection. If nothing else, I have that self-awareness - my perfectionism can be great, but not here. This DIET has me focus on portion control and a 30 minutes workout each day for 21 days. Time enough to create new habits, but not daunting either.

The other thing I am happy about is that 21DF has me eating nutrient dense food and I am NOT HUNGRY. Even with fiber loaded plans like Nutrisystem, I was STILL hungry. This gives me the portion control but not through pre-packaged astronaut food. I am eating, fresh, local, whole, and feel awesome. Meals with the family are also much easier since I can make rice, beans, and steam veggies and the whole family can eat the same thing (I just have to measure it out with my cute color coded Tupperware).

And meanwhile, I am doing a course on self-sabotage and reading Thrive, so I have an exit strategy. I am still keeping my YELLOW container tho!

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Yeah, these systems can definitely confuse people.  I also don't care for them, because they don't teach people how to eat healthy long term.  But, what works great for one person (emotionally and from a lifestyle standpoint, as well as from a physiological standpoint), doesn't work for everyone.  Instead of trying to force a specific solution, it tends to work better to start with a set of principles and goals, then be a bit flexible in the execution to arrive at the goals using the principles.  Where I'm going with this is for the OP, using a system like this may be the best thing for her right now, but there needs to be an exit strategy for transitioning to a more sustainable diet long term.  Some people can benefit emotionally from the boost that a relatively extreme diet can provide short term.  The emotional boost can help them find the motivation to adopt a good long term solution.

I also agree that it's fairly easy to get enough protein from plant sources once you learn which plants contain it, and you get things dialed in.

Edited by autumn 2015-10-26 3:09 PM
2015-10-26 9:51 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I fully support you Autumn... 21 Day fix is a system to get eating under control and not a gimmick. Don't feel like you need to defend yourself or your decisions.

2015-10-27 6:26 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Thanks Suzanne - Was originally looking for input from folks who have used it while training, but I can do it and let others know how it works out (for better or worse).

Originally posted by AdventureBear

I fully support you Autumn... 21 Day fix is a system to get eating under control and not a gimmick. Don't feel like you need to defend yourself or your decisions.
2015-10-27 2:06 PM

User image

I had tremendous success with the diet side of the 21 Day Fix, going from from 232 to 170 lbs in 14 months. Most of that was in the first 7 months; I was at 178 after 210 days. Dramatic picture here if you want to see my actual results: http://i.imgur.com/RbLVzFLl.jpg?1

Simultaneously, I went from a completely out of shape couch potato who would get winded walking a long flight of stairs to finishing 11th in my age group in in the 400M freestyle at the United States Masters Swimming Summer National Championship.

I did the 21 day fix exercise plan for exactly 1 day, decided it wasn't for me. Started riding my bike, then transitioned to swimming. I average 40k yards of intense training a month now. For those who already have their own exercise plan, I recommend something called Portion Fix which is the diet part only and saves you a little money. ( https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_gear/portion-control/porti... )

Yes, the container system of 21 Day Fix/Portion Fix is overly-simplified. That's exactly the point. If you're vegan, you have to do some complicated work-arounds for the protein. For those of us who aren't, it's a easy way to control not only portion size, but also the relative proportions of the various food groups that make up your daily diet. The simplicity is exactly why it works for so many people.

The "get slim in 21 days" hook is mostly marketing fluff, but the truth is the average over-weight american who follows this program strictly for 21 days will see a big difference in their weight and size in that time. And once you get it and have some success, you want to keep going with successive cycles. They coach maintenance when you get to you're desired weight. It's not the perfect diet, but the vast majority of Americans would be substantially healthier eating a 21 Day Fix maintenance diet than what they eat now.

I blogged about my experience at https://210dayfix.wordpress.com/. The 21 Day Fix stuff is mostly front end loaded, so you might want to start at the beginning ( https://210dayfix.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/the-start/) and work your way forward chronologically. FWIW, I am not a Beach Body Coach or in any way affiliated with or compensated by Beach Body. I certainly don't agree with everything they pitch (i.e. the expensive "Shake Ology" which I never used, yet still managed to have great success). I'm just a regular guy who finally found something that worked for short and long term, and helped me get in the best physical shape I've been in since my early 20's.

Edited by gary p 2015-10-27 2:13 PM
2015-10-27 6:16 PM

User image

broccoli is 33% protein....

Speaking of confusing the issue, broccoli is only about 3% protein by weight. You'd need to eat about 2.5 lbs of broccoli to get the total protein you'd get in 1/4 lb of chicken breast meat.
2015-10-27 6:31 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

molto veloce mama
Originally posted by gary p

I had tremendous success with the diet side of the 21 Day Fix, going from from 232 to 170 lbs in 14 months. Most of that was in the first 7 months; I was at 178 after 210 days. Dramatic picture here if you want to see my actual results: http://i.imgur.com/RbLVzFLl.jpg?1

Thank you for sharing your story! This is what I was looking for - someone who has chosen this method of portion control/diet composition and all while training. So far I feel good, even now that I am adding in tri training, but would like to stick to this for the foreseeable future IF it can be done while training. Have had several affirmations of that today which is awesome.

I do agree with dmiller5. Even if the exact % is off, the principle remains true - we underestimate how much protein is in veggies and other foods.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 21 Day Fix Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Team 3 - Monkey Madness - Check In 2-21

Started by brad1407
Views: 1442 Posts: 15

2007-03-04 7:16 AM TKDJen

Team Skinny 2 - Feb 21 weigh-in Pages: 1 2

Started by gaiaserver
Views: 2468 Posts: 32

2007-02-26 3:34 PM rjba2000

The Good, The Bad and The Skinny Weigh In Here-12/21 Pages: 1 2

Started by willow
Views: 2094 Posts: 34

2006-12-26 8:10 PM TriConvert

tritans, trilean, A, & B group weigh in - 8-21

Started by autumn
Views: 918 Posts: 11

2006-09-01 3:01 AM kathie

1/21 Week Two Weigh In- Post Here your weight Pages: 1 2 3

Started by KathyG
Views: 4459 Posts: 56

2005-01-24 8:52 AM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : March 19, 2009
author : AMSSM
Would getting the veins fixed have any potential triathlon performance implications? Is there anything else I should be doing for them when I swim/bike/run?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?