General Discussion Triathlon Talk » treadmill difficulty? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-11-20 9:08 AM

Subject: treadmill difficulty?
This is probably going to sound bizarre, but here goes.
Anyone ever feel that the treadmill is harder physically than just running outside? I have almost always heard that treadmill running is easier. Now that it is cold where I live, I have transitioned indoors for some runs. My outdoor pace is right around 8:30. The last 2 indoor runs, I was lucky to do 9:00, and it started to feel like 10K pace at around 4 miles. I typically run 6.
Any thoughts on this? Maybe I am just losing my mind too
Thanks!
Barry

2015-11-20 9:21 AM
in reply to: Burchib

Subject: RE: treadmill difficulty?
I'm the same way. An 8:30 pace "feels" easier outside than on the treadmill.
I mostly attribute it to the mental aspect though. There are things to see outside, people to talk to, things that take your mind off the details of the running. On the treadmill it seems like i'm more focused on each step, my form, etc.
2015-11-20 11:06 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Burchib

This is probably going to sound bizarre, but here goes.
Anyone ever feel that the treadmill is harder physically than just running outside? I have almost always heard that treadmill running is easier. Now that it is cold where I live, I have transitioned indoors for some runs. My outdoor pace is right around 8:30. The last 2 indoor runs, I was lucky to do 9:00, and it started to feel like 10K pace at around 4 miles. I typically run 6.
Any thoughts on this? Maybe I am just losing my mind too
Thanks!
Barry

The mental aspect of running on a treadmill makes it feel very hard.

Also it tends to be much hotter running on a tread mill, 70° room with no fans on while on the tread mill. Is much hotter than 70° outside with a breeze in your face.
2015-11-20 12:36 PM
in reply to: mike761

Thanks guys,
Makes sense. I just thought it was odd, since over the years, I have read stuff like setting the incline at 1 to 2% to simulate how much harder outdoor running is, so I was having trouble wrapping my mind around why I thought the dreadmill was harder.

I guess I better do a mental adjustment too. I hate that thing after a summer of being outside. Almost depressing.
2015-11-20 1:23 PM

I normally set it to 0.5% incline if I'm just doing a straight run.
But try different programs to mix it up and keep things interesting.
For example: do intervals of 1 min 10k pace, 1 min 5k pace for X number of miles.
Or do "hills: like this:
6 intervals of:
2x(30 seconds at 2%, then 30 seconds rest)
2x(30 seconds at 4%, then 30 seconds rest)
2x(30 seconds at 0%, then 30 seconds rest)
Extra 30 seconds rest at the end of each interval
Speed is at race pace
2015-11-20 1:30 PM

User image

Pro

I find treddy running a bit easier than outside- but then again, there's nothing truly flat where I run.

A grade of 1.5% set on the 'mill seems to make them about equivalent in HR /Pace, but the lack of any undulations and surface inconsistencies makes the 'mill easier.  That said- I find the treddy great for:

1.  Avoiding inclement or dangerous weather

2.  when you're injured, and don't want to find yourself 5 miles from home and have something start hurting too much,

and, my favorite usage:

3.  Interval workouts.  You set the speed/pace on the machine, and it forces you to run exactly at that pace.  So, you don't overcook your first sets, and you must keep up without fading or slacking off.  

and, those are my treddy thoughts of the day.

2015-11-20 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Make sure the treadmill is calibrated. It may be going faster than indicated.
2015-11-20 3:13 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Treadmills for me are easier than outside. In fact my current gym, I was convinced that the grade was sloping downward so filled my water bottle up but the bubble held center. It turns out my old treadmill was sloped slightly up!

Also, paces can feel a little different across machines. But outdoors is awlays tougher to me cause there's more hills, humidity and junk in the air. I discovered running through gravel or concrete dust next to a construction site is the worst. Made me feel like I was going to die.
2015-11-20 3:40 PM
in reply to: runtim23

Once again, thanks for the input everyone. I will make note of the suggested workouts too and try them. Thanks!
2015-11-21 7:28 PM

User image

Setting the incline at 1-2% might make it seem more like outdoor running to your body-- if you usually run uphill. It's actually a myth that it makes it seem more like outdoor running in general. It will feel more difficult than flat running outside.
2016-04-22 2:45 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Originally posted by morey000

I find treddy running a bit easier than outside- but then again, there's nothing truly flat where I run.

A grade of 1.5% set on the 'mill seems to make them about equivalent in HR /Pace, but the lack of any undulations and surface inconsistencies makes the 'mill easier.  That said- I find the treddy great for:

1.  Avoiding inclement or dangerous weather

2.  when you're injured, and don't want to find yourself 5 miles from home and have something start hurting too much,

and, my favorite usage:

3.  Interval workouts.  You set the speed/pace on the machine, and it forces you to run exactly at that pace.  So, you don't overcook your first sets, and you must keep up without fading or slacking off.  

and, those are my treddy thoughts of the day.

Valid points but the problem is that during a workout you want your first rep to be the slowest and your last to be your fastest and mostly go by feel. The treadmill kinda takes this out of the equation because you're forcing yourself to run at a determined pace.

I think the best way to use a treadmill is to either go by feel or by HR. If you're doing a recovery run, don't worry about the pace, just run easy. If you're doing a tempo run, go by what feels like your tempo pace outside or use a HR monitor and try to run in the same HR zone as you would outside. Same for intervals.

2016-04-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: #5152965

User image

Morey000, good points about treadmill usage. I would add (4) great for random hill work.
Goran007, my training program specifies all interval laps be run at the same pace, so treadmill settings are perfect for this.
2016-06-06 10:06 AM

User image

, British Columbia
Treadmill for me always was best solution seeing I m not like running outside ) .5 months ago I moved and have not near the gym..Early I was running 5-6 mils 3 times a week in gym Think to buy home machines one of this ,want treadmill and something more
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » treadmill difficulty? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Difficulties getting back on the horse...

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 996 Posts: 3

2008-04-15 11:23 AM Scout

The difficulties of running outside! Pages: 1 2

Started by CalFly
Views: 1793 Posts: 29

2007-01-17 9:53 AM jcagg90

IM & HIM course difficulty ratings?

Started by Rencor
Views: 1247 Posts: 22

2006-09-27 7:47 PM ccuff

new areobars difficulty

Started by vicvroom
Views: 1347 Posts: 9

2006-03-24 8:32 AM crab68

Difficulty in breathing when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 10117 Posts: 11

2004-03-23 7:04 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 1
Here are some guidelines and four treadmill workouts to maximize your winter run training while embracing the time indoors.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Here are our most popular questions for training during the off season. Everything from treadmills to heart rate monitors to core strength.
date : January 14, 2008
author : AMSSM
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 2
When we do or don’t use the treadmill is not so much the issue as to how we use it. When is it appropriate to use a treadmill for your workouts?
date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 4
How important is it to train on the actual road vs. treadmill and on a real bike vs. spinning classes?

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : October 30, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Off season training, nutrition, faster run, strength training, treadmill and more.

date : May 3, 2005
author : smeeko
Have you ever wondered about the benefits and drawbacks of treadmill running?