General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for a 70.3, looking towards full. Seeking advice. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-12-02 11:43 AM

Subject: Signed up for a 70.3, looking towards full. Seeking advice.
Hi! I guess some background first. I'm 29 and male, and I've been cycling for about 5 years, racing for about 3. I'm 6' tall and weigh about 175. I've got two sprint tri's under my belt at about a 1:18, an Olympic at 2:44, two half marathons at 1:54 and 1:50 and a marathon finish in 4 flat. I'm not sure the times matter but I figure they might. I just signed up for HIM Muncie on July 9th and I'm pretty confident I can finish that strong. It's the only race I could find that worked for me in timing and geography. Earlier would have been nicer but

The part I'm less sure about is that I want to run a full IM next year as well. My goal has always been to do an IM in paradise so that I could be immobile on a beach. There's a race in Los Cabos that I think fits the bill but Oct 30 seems fairly short after July 9 to get that transition to happen. There's also one in Cozumel a month after, but I'm afraid of the last few long bikes and runs outside in November in Kentucky. It would be really heartbreaking to get sick less than a month out from the race.

The good news is that I feel like I'm in good shape, I just came off of off season strength training and I feel really good. I feel like I have plenty of time to plan and train, but I'm not feeling like I have all of the information I need. I was hoping that someone here with more experience than I have might be able to point out some things I need to think about with a plan like this, or maybe suggest something new. Any takers?

2015-12-02 1:05 PM
in reply to: crashtopher

Subject: RE: Signed up for a 70.3, looking towards full. Seeking advice.
A full 4 months after a half is not a short time period at all, I know a lot of people do the half 1 to 2 months before the full. Personally I did my half 3 months before the full and had no issues with either. If you look at a typical IM training calendar 1 month before the full is when you are going full bore into the training schedule (mine had 20+ hour weeks of training 1 month out), with several days doing back to back activities.

Use the half as a tune up and work through how you are going to run your day on the full. And have fun with it.
2015-12-02 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

You can use the half as a benchmark for the full - but you would be training primarily for the full instead of training for a half, recovering, starting training for the full.

Many people do a 70.3 in preparation for the 140.6. When i did the full i did do a 70.3 about 5 weeks before the full. I didn't really taper and just took one or two extra rest days and carried on with my training plan. Though it was not my first 70.3. I had done one as my A race two years before (i trained to do it again but sprained my ankle ten days out from the race) - so i was 

Both are a significant training commitment and if you want to just dedicate time to the half and train for that as a stand-alone goal race that's fine too. You may want to put off the full to the following year to do the race you want to do. It's not going anywhere. 

But what you propose is do-able, it's just a different training focus. 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-12-02 1:32 PM
2015-12-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #5154650

User image

Expert
I havedone two IMs. The first I did a half a little more than 4 months out and the second I did one about 8 weeks out (tore my calf that week though and could only do the swim/bike). Both timings worked well but we're different. The first time I could peak for the half and have a couple of weeks off before really ramping up the training for the IM. The second one it was kind of a train threw good hard weekend.
2015-12-02 2:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

What does your current training look like?  What were your highest mileage/yardage averages for training over your biggest 2 month training period.

I think 4 months is plenty of time for someone well versed in HIM training to transition to their first IM.  But if you are going to spend most of next year getting accustomed to swimming 6-8k per week, riding 100 mpw, and running 20-30 mpw (for HIM training)...then the transition to IM volume might be a bit harder.

The one thing to remember...IM isn't going anywhere.  Unless there is some pressing need to get one done next year then why not just wait a bit till you're a bit more sure what you can handle?

Edited by Jason N 2015-12-02 2:05 PM
2015-12-02 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
As the others have said this is totally doable. It is a bit of an awkward spread. Given the proximity of your races you would essentially do the half and continue building to the full. This is completely fine but you might get a little tired of the long rides and long runs from spring straight through Oct. It can be mentally tiring to wake up every Sat and Sun (or whatever) staring at hours in the saddle or on the MUP. If you think this is for you then go for it. Alternatively, 1) find an earlier 70.3 and do two somewhat separate builds, 2) find a later 70.3 and combine into one more condensed build, or 3) choose just one long course race.

2015-12-02 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
My response is going to be quite different from the others, and it'll revolve around the following question: What's the rush?

You're 29, and quite new to triathlon, and unless you are in this just to knock off the distances and then split the scene, you have a LOT of years in which to hone your chops and get good and ready for an IM that you can (a) truly enjoy, and (b) tackle quite competently. Doing Muncie will be a great start on the the path to 140.6, but you'll just be nudging at the edges of nutritional protocol. That aspect of IM training and performing is huge, and it requires an awful lot of trial and error to get your nutritional requirements dialed in --- far longer than experimenting with distance nutritional needs at Muncie, and then hoping to refine them successfully within 3 or 4 months.

My story is that I began tri in 2000 when I was 51, and didn't do my first (of two) irons until 2004 -- after 27 triathlons, of which 9 were half-irons. I had a fully wonderful first iron (Placid), and I attribute much of the success of the day to my overall pretty deep experience across the range of tri racing beforehand -- and especially those eight half-irons. (I had also done seven marathons and about a dozens half-marathons before IMLP.) But even with all of that under my belt, I still goofed up (not dramatically.....although it kind of felt that way at the time) my nutrition at IMLP -- and hate to think what might've happened had I not had a ton of "field-testing" behind me.

All that said, if you want to know what IM feels like as a way to determine how you want to plan your triathlon future, then that is quite vaild. I also understand that you feel you are in good (maybe even great?) shape right now, and that you should maybe strike while the iron (as it were) is hot, but I have to ask --- don't you feel you'll even be in better shape in 2/3/4/5 years from now? You'll certainly be vastly wiser and more experienced, and over the course of 140.6 miles......wisdom and experience can be your two best friends.

Best of fortune to you, and congrats on signing up for Muncie. It was my 7th half, back in '03, and a pretty nifty event -- even though not the best of days for me! :-o

Onwards!
2015-12-02 6:56 PM
in reply to: stevebradley

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Originally posted by stevebradley

My response is going to be quite different from the others, and it'll revolve around the following question: What's the rush?

You're 29, and quite new to triathlon, and unless you are in this just to knock off the distances and then split the scene, you have a LOT of years in which to hone your chops and get good and ready for an IM that you can (a) truly enjoy, and (b) tackle quite competently. Doing Muncie will be a great start on the the path to 140.6, but you'll just be nudging at the edges of nutritional protocol. That aspect of IM training and performing is huge, and it requires an awful lot of trial and error to get your nutritional requirements dialed in --- far longer than experimenting with distance nutritional needs at Muncie, and then hoping to refine them successfully within 3 or 4 months.

My story is that I began tri in 2000 when I was 51, and didn't do my first (of two) irons until 2004 -- after 27 triathlons, of which 9 were half-irons. I had a fully wonderful first iron (Placid), and I attribute much of the success of the day to my overall pretty deep experience across the range of tri racing beforehand -- and especially those eight half-irons. (I had also done seven marathons and about a dozens half-marathons before IMLP.) But even with all of that under my belt, I still goofed up (not dramatically.....although it kind of felt that way at the time) my nutrition at IMLP -- and hate to think what might've happened had I not had a ton of "field-testing" behind me.

All that said, if you want to know what IM feels like as a way to determine how you want to plan your triathlon future, then that is quite vaild. I also understand that you feel you are in good (maybe even great?) shape right now, and that you should maybe strike while the iron (as it were) is hot, but I have to ask --- don't you feel you'll even be in better shape in 2/3/4/5 years from now? You'll certainly be vastly wiser and more experienced, and over the course of 140.6 miles......wisdom and experience can be your two best friends.

Best of fortune to you, and congrats on signing up for Muncie. It was my 7th half, back in '03, and a pretty nifty event -- even though not the best of days for me! :-o

Onwards!

^^ ^^ ^^ wise words right here. I jumped right into the IM scene. Just had to get that distance. I got it but it was painful. Luckily I'm still hooked on the sport and will continue my journey however, lots of people get the distance and bounce. If your really into this sport i have to agree with the gentleman above and say this is the best advice you could get. Don't go thorough what i did to get the distance. Train .. work hard.. and get that IM with a solid feeling and truly embrace the journey.
2015-12-02 8:13 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by zombie2212

Onwards!

^^ ^^ ^^ wise words right here. I jumped right into the IM scene. Just had to get that distance. I got it but it was painful. Luckily I'm still hooked on the sport and will continue my journey however, lots of people get the distance and bounce. If your really into this sport i have to agree with the gentleman above and say this is the best advice you could get. Don't go thorough what i did to get the distance. Train .. work hard.. and get that IM with a solid feeling and truly embrace the journey.

FWIW, I was six years into triathlon before I tackled an IM. Everyone's reason/ path is different, but for me it was worth it. When I finally made the commitment, I was very motivated and had a lot more knowledge and experience going forward.
2015-12-03 9:16 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
You can do an IM whenever you want to. Maybe it is ideal to build up to it over several years but I know of people who have done an IM as their first triathlon ever. If training for an IM next fall is what gets you jazzed up, then by all means, do it. There is no harm in doing one early and there is no shame in waiting a few years.

As far as your question goes, the four month gap is way more than enough to do your HIM and then train for a full IM. Many people plan a HIM for about six weeks before their full and race very well. FWIW, this summer I raced a HIM on August 9, another one on August 16 and then a full IM two weeks later on August 30 and it turned out very well. Maybe not ideal prep but I was having a lackluster summer and wanted to try to race myself in to shape. It went great and I was very happy with the results.

I know you didn't ask, but others have offered training advice so I will offer mine. I would do an aggressive HIM focused training plan for Muncie, really making sure to hit every workout that you possibly can. After Muncie take a week off to recover and then jump in to the last 15-16 weeks of the IM training plan of your choice. For the most part, the people who write these plans really know what they are doing, so if you follow the plan diligently it should get you to the start line prepared to have a good. day. As someone else said, really, really work on the nutrition for IM race day. You can fake your way through the fueling for a HIM but messing up your fueling for IM leads to a disastrous day. I cannot overemphasize how important this is.

Good luck. Ask lots of questions. It can be very fun (and incredibly tiring).
2015-12-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: stevebradley

User image

Expert

Onwards!

Yes, I agree with all this, I was just answering the question as to whether the time difference of 4 months is okay. Yes it is.

I did my first tri in 2001, my first half IM in 2007, my first IM in 2010. No rush to get to the distance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Signed up for a 70.3, looking towards full. Seeking advice. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Looking for people to sign up for Full Vineman 2012 (3-for-2 deal)

Started by jxj
Views: 961 Posts: 3

2011-11-12 3:21 PM mulan1209

IMLP 2008 sign-ups

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 1364 Posts: 6

2007-05-07 1:55 PM TimmyMay

2008 Ironman Sign Ups

Started by jbillfsu
Views: 1840 Posts: 11

2007-02-24 9:57 AM KSH

I signed up for my first triathlon................any good advice.............I am looking at the 16

Started by newadventures
Views: 1342 Posts: 9

2006-06-08 7:59 PM newadventures

IMCDA 2006 Sign ups

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1258 Posts: 3

2005-08-16 9:48 PM PGoldberger