BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2016-02-03 8:31 AM
in reply to: slides

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Hello! If you don't mind I'd like to join your group. I completed my third 70.3 last year and currently training for my first 140.6. Other than the pool breaking down this week and possibly missing all three swim workouts everything seems to be going well. Here's my info:

NAME: Monty / HelmoAlkou

STORY:  Swimming background, childhood into early 30's; Started running for weight loss in my early 40's (dropped 45 lbs.); Picked up cycling to do triathlon in mid 40's; Turning 50 this June!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married 22 years, my son is 21, and my daughter is 18.

WORK: I'm a power plant operator so lots of shift work. My normal shift is seven days on then seven days off, rinse and repeat.  So yeah, I work every other week. But the 12 hour shifts make training consistency difficult.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Four weeks into the 20 week Full Ironman plan on BT.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3, and TriWaco Olympic course.  Filled the rest of year with misc runs/rides for fun.

2016 RACES:  Ironman Texas 140.6 North American Championship on May 14th.  After that I'll look into others.

GOALS:  Finish my first 140.6 this year.  Stay injury free!  Keep nutrition in check while training.

2016-02-03 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by slides Last year I kept getting shin pain even got x-rays and the doctor though he saw bone swelling. So took some time off and did a big run 1x every week or two weeks that seems to keep the pain at bay. I haven't even been running hard only a max of 2 miles per a run 2-3x a week for the last 4 weeks. I will try Icying and stretch like crazy to see if that helps. I have 28 weeks of training left so this is a bad time to get set back.

Better to have it 28 weeks out versus 2 weeks out    You have plenty of time to deal with it now and let your bike and swim maintain your fitness if you take some run time off.  Is it in both legs?   Just make sure its not a stress fracture.  I've had a stress fracture and the pain is much more localized than shin splints.  The one and only time I had shin splints was in high school.  Wrapping the legs before running (we didn't have compression socks in the 1970s   ) and icing after eventually took care of it.

2016-02-03 9:25 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Pro

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Hello! If you don't mind I'd like to join your group. I completed my third 70.3 last year and currently training for my first 140.6. Other than the pool breaking down this week and possibly missing all three swim workouts everything seems to be going well. Here's my info:

NAME: Monty / HelmoAlkou

STORY:  Swimming background, childhood into early 30's; Started running for weight loss in my early 40's (dropped 45 lbs.); Picked up cycling to do triathlon in mid 40's; Turning 50 this June!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married 22 years, my son is 21, and my daughter is 18.

WORK: I'm a power plant operator so lots of shift work. My normal shift is seven days on then seven days off, rinse and repeat.  So yeah, I work every other week. But the 12 hour shifts make training consistency difficult.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Four weeks into the 20 week Full Ironman plan on BT.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3, and TriWaco Olympic course.  Filled the rest of year with misc runs/rides for fun.

2016 RACES:  Ironman Texas 140.6 North American Championship on May 14th.  After that I'll look into others.

GOALS:  Finish my first 140.6 this year.  Stay injury free!  Keep nutrition in check while training.

Welcome Monty!  Hopefully we can answer any questions you have on your way to your first IM

2016-02-03 10:58 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Fairly certain its not a stress fracture. Walking on flat ground is fine but when I go up steps pushing off of my toes I feel a slight pain like a 2-3 out of 10 scale.

Ill wrap it, ice it and stretch like crazy to try and get things moving again.....starting to feel my age but im only 26 years old :-(, am I allowed to say "im too young for this sh*$" haha.

2016-02-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #5165025

If this group is still open, I would love to join.

My Journey:
Over the last few years I allowed my weight to get over 240lbs (6'0") and I was generally unhappy with how I was feeling and looking. So, I latched on to a trainer and began to lose weight with strength training and jogging for cardio. From March to September, I lost over 40 lbs. going from 230 to 186 and I ran my first 5k. Given my complete disdain for running, my wife was thoroughly impressed. After that, a co-worker convinced me that with my swimming background (competitive high school swimmer), I should be able to train for a HIM with "no problem." So, I pulled back on the strength training and got into the pool as well as found a great deal on a used road bike. I'm slowly working through the 0 to 1650 in the pool and since the weather has turned in Missouri, I've been riding on a trainer, mostly. I have ridden on the road twice and successfully stayed upright during the second ride (Yay, clips). I'm still trying to increase the amount of time I can stay in the saddle without crying and that has been about an hour. Running has turned into a strength. I can complete a 5k on any day and completed a 10k run a couple of weeks ago which tells me that I just need to keep building the miles. However, I'm using the Gipis app to add some speed workouts.

My goal is to survive the Ironman New Orleans 70.3 race on April 17. I've turned down several opportunities to do some other things that I really love in order to stay focused on training for New Orleans, so I am fully committed but need some guidance to get me there and since this is my first, I'm terrified!
2016-02-03 11:29 AM
in reply to: #5165164

Forgot the personal details. My bad!

Name: Josh
Occupation: Network/Systems Administrator for a software company
Experience: novice. High school swimmer, intermediate runner, beginner cyclist.
Family: Married. Empty nester. two step sons (19, 23), one phenomenally brilliant and beautiful granddaughter. Two dogs.

2016-02-03 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmattix

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jmattix Forgot the personal details. My bad! Name: Josh Occupation: Network/Systems Administrator for a software company Location: Springfield, Mo Age: 38 Experience: novice. High school swimmer, intermediate runner, beginner cyclist. Family: Married. Empty nester. two step sons (19, 23), one phenomenally brilliant and beautiful granddaughter. Two dogs.

Welcome Josh!   Check out the Half Ironman plans here on BT for some guidance to alleviate that fear!    And ask us questions!!

2016-02-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Originally posted by slides

Fairly certain its not a stress fracture. Walking on flat ground is fine but when I go up steps pushing off of my toes I feel a slight pain like a 2-3 out of 10 scale.

Ill wrap it, ice it and stretch like crazy to try and get things moving again.....starting to feel my age but im only 26 years old :-(, am I allowed to say "im too young for this sh*$" haha.

Hi, I have dealt with shin splints a couple of years ago. This little trick helped me out quite a bit, Take a styrofoam cup, fill with water and freeze them.Take 1 out when frozen, take and rub gently on the affected area and as the ice melts you can just peel back the styrofoam from the cup to expose more ice.

Compression sleeves help too. I use to wear them at work under my work pants. LOL. it helped!!!!

Edited by CarlG 2016-02-03 1:44 PM
2016-02-05 2:29 PM
in reply to: CarlG

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Hi, I have dealt with shin splints a couple of years ago. This little trick helped me out quite a bit, Take a styrofoam cup, fill with water and freeze them.Take 1 out when frozen, take and rub gently on the affected area and as the ice melts you can just peel back the styrofoam from the cup to expose more ice.

Compression sleeves help too. I use to wear them at work under my work pants. LOL. it helped!!!!

I was able to run yesterday did 2.25 miles with incrementally faster speeds up to 8 mph for the last .25 miles. While running there is pain but not "bad" pain, its a 2 on a scale of 1-10. Finished running with a 5 min walk for cool down, then I did about 15 min of stretching then more once I got home along with ice.

Today it seems to be ok, still a bit tender but I have been icing it at work periodically for 10 min at a time. I still haven't broken out the compression socks but will be doing that this weekend.
2016-02-07 3:08 PM

User image

Hi my name is Bennett Tyson and I would like to join this group if it is still possible. Here is a little about myself and my racing history. I am 24 years old a Registered Nurse that works in the Major OR at a hospital in Northern Indiana. I got into triathlon in 2013 after a friend introduced me to the sport. I have done mostly sprint and olympic distance races up to this point and have been improving my times each year. I am apart of a triathlon club in my area as well. Last year I PR'd my Olympic distance race at Age Group Nationals in Milwaukee with a time of 2:21:02 and my fastest sprint time last summer of 1:06:09. This year I am moving up in distances and already signed up for 70.3 Steelhead in Michigan and the Rev 3 Half at Cedar Point. I'm looking for good discussions and help as I move to the longer distances. I would like to do a full ironman next year and my ultimate goal is to do Kona Ironman someday I currently have a Fuji 2.0 entry level triathlon bike and an older Specialized S-works road bike in my inventory. I'm thinking of buying an aero wheel set and a power meter this year or upgrading my tri bike, but I am also saving to buy a house this year. Looking forward to the discussions, Bennett Tyson
2016-02-07 5:06 PM
in reply to: btyson

User image

Pro

Originally posted by btyson Hi my name is Bennett Tyson and I would like to join this group if it is still possible. Here is a little about myself and my racing history. I am 24 years old a Registered Nurse that works in the Major OR at a hospital in Northern Indiana. I got into triathlon in 2013 after a friend introduced me to the sport. I have done mostly sprint and olympic distance races up to this point and have been improving my times each year. I am apart of a triathlon club in my area as well. Last year I PR'd my Olympic distance race at Age Group Nationals in Milwaukee with a time of 2:21:02 and my fastest sprint time last summer of 1:06:09. This year I am moving up in distances and already signed up for 70.3 Steelhead in Michigan and the Rev 3 Half at Cedar Point. I'm looking for good discussions and help as I move to the longer distances. I would like to do a full ironman next year and my ultimate goal is to do Kona Ironman someday I currently have a Fuji 2.0 entry level triathlon bike and an older Specialized S-works road bike in my inventory. I'm thinking of buying an aero wheel set and a power meter this year or upgrading my tri bike, but I am also saving to buy a house this year. Looking forward to the discussions, Bennett Tyson

Welcome Bennett!  Start firing away with questions....

2016-02-08 12:31 PM

Hey,

I know I am late to the ball game, but would love to join if still able.

Josh here, 25 year old recently married aspiring triathlete. Have completed 2 sprints, an HM and various 5k/10ks since wrapping up my college years. Signed up for my first HIM this summer and am looking to gain from the experience of others.

Athletic Background: High School swimmer(sprinter), 6 years of coaching swimming and as I mentioned above very casual endurance events post college.

Currently riding a Mid 80s Univega Frame I fixed up with the help of a co-op. Rides okay, but interested in purchasing a newer entry level bike at some point, but my wife keeps telling me things like our wedding, and now buying a house are more important than my bike needs, so for the time being I'll keep struggling to learn how to effectively use downtube shifters.

Swimming and Running are my strengths, but apart from spin class know very little about biking. Received a Garmin FR 920xt as a groomsmen gift for my wedding so this will be my first time training focusing on HR zones and really logging my activity. Hoping to learn a lot more about that as well.

Outside of training and work I love beer, whiskey, and college football.

Looking forward to it.

Josh-Nashville, TN
2016-02-08 2:13 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Training Plans - RE: Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by slides What are you guys using for training plans? I'm looking for a 20 week plan to start this weekend. Training perks seem to have a lot but minimal review of the plans themselves.

Oops.. didn't mean to hit reply.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-02-08 2:14 PM
2016-02-08 8:17 PM

User image

Hello everyone, I have a few questions to start. I have heard many people in triathlon rave about power meters and the benefits for triathletes, especially in longer races where preserving energy is imperative. My question is what type of power meter do you all use (if you do) and whether you think they are a benefit. I have looked into the garmin pedal power meters due to their ability to easily switch between bikes. I am scheduled for two Half IM's this summer and would like to do a full IM next summer. i'm just balking at the cost of investing into a monitor such as that. Also, I am looking to upgrade my wheels hopefully soon from my stock Fuji Aloha 2.0 wheels? Is the cost of new race wheels worth it or not? I am planning on getting a bike fit at a performance bike shop near me this spring as well. Thanks for any input y'all have, cheers Bennett
2016-02-09 7:49 AM
in reply to: Jbaxter3

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jbaxter3 Hey, I know I am late to the ball game, but would love to join if still able. Josh here, 25 year old recently married aspiring triathlete. Have completed 2 sprints, an HM and various 5k/10ks since wrapping up my college years. Signed up for my first HIM this summer and am looking to gain from the experience of others. Athletic Background: High School swimmer(sprinter), 6 years of coaching swimming and as I mentioned above very casual endurance events post college. Currently riding a Mid 80s Univega Frame I fixed up with the help of a co-op. Rides okay, but interested in purchasing a newer entry level bike at some point, but my wife keeps telling me things like our wedding, and now buying a house are more important than my bike needs, so for the time being I'll keep struggling to learn how to effectively use downtube shifters. Swimming and Running are my strengths, but apart from spin class know very little about biking. Received a Garmin FR 920xt as a groomsmen gift for my wedding so this will be my first time training focusing on HR zones and really logging my activity. Hoping to learn a lot more about that as well. Outside of training and work I love beer, whiskey, and college football. Looking forward to it. Josh-Nashville, TN

Welcome Josh!  Buying a house is more important that buying a new tri bike?     Your swim background will serve you well

2016-02-09 7:54 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by btyson Hello everyone, I have a few questions to start. I have heard many people in triathlon rave about power meters and the benefits for triathletes, especially in longer races where preserving energy is imperative. My question is what type of power meter do you all use (if you do) and whether you think they are a benefit. I have looked into the garmin pedal power meters due to their ability to easily switch between bikes. I am scheduled for two Half IM's this summer and would like to do a full IM next summer. i'm just balking at the cost of investing into a monitor such as that. Also, I am looking to upgrade my wheels hopefully soon from my stock Fuji Aloha 2.0 wheels? Is the cost of new race wheels worth it or not? I am planning on getting a bike fit at a performance bike shop near me this spring as well. Thanks for any input y'all have, cheers Bennett

Look through our mentor thread a few pages back and I discuss the advantages of training and racing with power.  I currently have a hub-based Powertap Pro powermeter.  It is laced on to a training wheel and I put a wheel cover on it for Ironman races - so that addresses your question about the value of buying race wheels versus having a power meter to guide your Ironman/half ironman racing.  I want to start using my Zipp Super 9 disk for racing again (it has sat in a corner for a couple of years since I want to use the wheel with a power meter) so I will likely be buying a Powertap P1 power meter (pedal based) so that I can still have power while racing.  Also, check out dcrainmaker.com for power meter reviews

Edited by Birkierunner 2016-02-09 8:49 AM

2016-02-09 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Jbaxter3 ...purchasing a newer entry level bike at some point, but my wife keeps telling me things like our wedding, and now buying a house are more important than my bike needs...  

Welcome Josh!  Buying a house is more important that buying a new tri bike?     Your swim background will serve you well 

You should have bought the bike before you got married! (I'm married 22 yrs) Just pulling your chain. 

2016-02-09 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by btyson Hello everyone, I have a few questions to start. I have heard many people in triathlon rave about power meters and the benefits for triathletes, especially in longer races where preserving energy is imperative. My question is what type of power meter do you all use (if you do) and whether you think they are a benefit. I have looked into the garmin pedal power meters due to their ability to easily switch between bikes. I am scheduled for two Half IM's this summer and would like to do a full IM next summer. i'm just balking at the cost of investing into a monitor such as that. Also, I am looking to upgrade my wheels hopefully soon from my stock Fuji Aloha 2.0 wheels? Is the cost of new race wheels worth it or not? I am planning on getting a bike fit at a performance bike shop near me this spring as well. Thanks for any input y'all have, cheers Bennett

Look through our mentor thread a few pages back and I discuss the advantages of training and racing with power.  I currently have a hub-based Powertap Pro powermeter.  It is laced on to a training wheel and I put a wheel cover on it for Ironman races - so that addresses your question about the value of buying race wheels versus having a power meter to guide your Ironman/half ironman racing.  I want to start using my Zipp Super 9 disk for racing again (it has sat in a corner for a couple of years since I want to use the wheel with a power meter) so I will likely be buying a Powertap P1 power meter (pedal based) so that I can still have power while racing.  Also, check out dcrainmaker.com for power meter reviews 

I came REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a crank arm power meter a few months ago. I've done a lot of research on them and understand the benefits but I just can't seem to justify the cost for me personally. But, I finally got a pro bike fit done and well worth the money! Big time! 

I do have a question about wheels though. I've decided to rent a pair of ZIPPs for my IM in May from racedaywheels.com. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts?

2016-02-09 11:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

I came REALLY close to pulling the trigger on a crank arm power meter a few months ago. I've done a lot of research on them and understand the benefits but I just can't seem to justify the cost for me personally. But, I finally got a pro bike fit done and well worth the money! Big time! 

I do have a question about wheels though. I've decided to rent a pair of ZIPPs for my IM in May from racedaywheels.com. Anyone have experience with this or any thoughts?

I use crank based PM on both road and tri bike. One of the better investments I have made. At the time, their were still issues with the pedal based PM. If I could do it right now, would probably go with the Powertap P1 pedals. Just for the flexibility of switching easily between bikes.

Have not used racedaywheels.com but I bet if you did a search on BT or ST you can find people who have. I did buy used set of HED 60/90 from bigracewheels.ca a couple years ago. They were used for one season and still under warranty. Wheels showed up in great condition and very positive experience all around. My take was that unlike car rentals, I imagine that triathletes cannot be too hard on wheels for just racing.

2016-02-09 11:32 AM

I totally agree, lol I get jealous every time I see my co-worker whose single head out on his new Cervelo, but I'm continually hounding the classifieds and keeping an ear to the ground at local tri-clubs just hoping for a miracle. I know the bike doesn't make the man, but I think brifters would definitely help!
2016-02-10 8:05 AM

User image

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by Jbaxter3

I totally agree, lol I get jealous every time I see my co-worker whose single head out on his new Cervelo, but I'm continually hounding the classifieds and keeping an ear to the ground at local tri-clubs just hoping for a miracle. I know the bike doesn't make the man, but I think brifters would definitely help!

I was content with keeping my road bike (fuji gran fondo) for one more race season but ended up getting a use tri bike (specialized transition) for a very good deal since it came with 50mm HED race tubular. Craiglist is the way to go. Denver CO has a ton of used tri gear on craiglist so if thats not too far of a drive and since gas is cheap it could almost be worth it to score a good deal on a tri bike :-)

Wife still gives me sh*t for my new tri bike.....ahhh she doesn't understand that i NEED it HA!

Edited by slides 2016-02-10 8:08 AM

2016-02-10 10:26 AM

Yea I am on the lookout constantly, unfortunately I am 6'4" so the quantity of used bikes in my size range is a lot smaller, and it also makes me hesitant to buy over the computer because of the size gaps. I have been fitted and can ride everything from a 58" to 61" bike comfortably depending on the brand. Nevertheless I will continue the hunt diligently, who knows I keep reading articles about how downtube shifters will make me more of a man haha.
2016-02-10 12:23 PM

User image

Originally posted by slides

Originally posted by Jbaxter3

I was content with keeping my road bike (fuji gran fondo) for one more race season but ended up getting a use tri bike (specialized transition) for a very good deal since it came with 50mm HED race tubular. Craiglist is the way to go. Denver CO has a ton of used tri gear on craiglist so if thats not too far of a drive and since gas is cheap it could almost be worth it to score a good deal on a tri bike :-)

Wife still gives me sh*t for my new tri bike.....ahhh she doesn't understand that i NEED it HA!

A little trick I have learned. If you get new bike, make sure it's the same color as old bike. Takes my wife a good 6 months to realize that I bought new one. Also helps that I leave for most of my rides before anyone wakes up. About the only time my family sees bike is at races, when I load onto the car.

I know she sneaks new shoes into the house, while I'm at work so I guess we are even. What's the saying, dishonesty is the cornerstone of a good marriage.
2016-02-11 1:05 PM
in reply to: StevenC

User image

I'd like to join the group too I appreciate you staying open longer since I'm a little late in the game

NAME: Barbara

STORY: Grew up swimming until college. Started running in college when the gym membership got too expensive Decided during residency that marathons sounded like a good idea. I completed 5 slow marathons and did a sprint triathlon where I liked having a little edge from the swimming. I did my first 70.3 last year for my 40th birthday.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 7 years. One 4 year old daughter who is in swim lessons. When she got her first bike she told me that since she could swim, run and now she had a bike that she could race too and then we could cheer for her

WORK: I'm a full time pediatric endocrinologist. I hate mornings workouts but I also dislike taking time from my family more. My husband leaves for work by 6am and gets home late due to a long commute so I am limited to garage workouts in the morning. I definitely skimp on swim workouts. This time around I am trying to take Sundays off so that I can spend more time with the family.

CURRENT TRAINING: Started training last week for Couer d' alene 70.3 using the Iron Fit book.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: St Patrick's day half marathon, Black Diamond 70.3

2016 RACES: Couer d' alene 70.3

GOALS: Get faster on the bike, stay injury free- I had a lot of hip/back problems that slowed me down last year and lingered into this year, focus on nutrition
2016-02-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Pro

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 I'd like to join the group too I appreciate you staying open longer since I'm a little late in the game NAME: Barbara STORY: Grew up swimming until college. Started running in college when the gym membership got too expensive Decided during residency that marathons sounded like a good idea. I completed 5 slow marathons and did a sprint triathlon where I liked having a little edge from the swimming. I did my first 70.3 last year for my 40th birthday. FAMILY STATUS: Married 7 years. One 4 year old daughter who is in swim lessons. When she got her first bike she told me that since she could swim, run and now she had a bike that she could race too and then we could cheer for her WORK: I'm a full time pediatric endocrinologist. I hate mornings workouts but I also dislike taking time from my family more. My husband leaves for work by 6am and gets home late due to a long commute so I am limited to garage workouts in the morning. I definitely skimp on swim workouts. This time around I am trying to take Sundays off so that I can spend more time with the family. CURRENT TRAINING: Started training last week for Couer d' alene 70.3 using the Iron Fit book. LAST YEAR'S RACES: St Patrick's day half marathon, Black Diamond 70.3 2016 RACES: Couer d' alene 70.3 GOALS: Get faster on the bike, stay injury free- I had a lot of hip/back problems that slowed me down last year and lingered into this year, focus on nutrition

Welcome to the group Barbara!  Another member with a good swim background.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
Views: 1047 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31