General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tires Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-18 3:49 PM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: Tires
Just curious what sort of strategy or set up some of you use for tires? If I buy a bike I'm looking at then I'll need to buy some pretty quickly.

I was told by the guy that did a fit appointment with me at the LBS that they'd run about $60/tire. It sounded kind of pricey to me, but I didn't really get any idea from him if we were talking about something high-end or average.

They'd be for a tri-bike (700 x 23).

Do you have a set you train with and another set for races? What brand/type, etc.?

2016-03-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tires

you want durability, puncture resistance, low rolling resistance and to a small degree aero

Different tires have their strengths and weakness.

The Continental GP4000S probably has the best mix of the 4

If you are willing to compromise one factor for the sake of the other there are alternatives but the 4000 is easily the best all rounder.

2016-03-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Originally posted by marcag you want durability, puncture resistance, low rolling resistance and to a small degree aero Different tires have their strengths and weakness. The Continental GP4000S probably has the best mix of the 4 If you are willing to compromise one factor for the sake of the other there are alternatives but the 4000 is easily the best all rounder.

I agree that they may not be the absolute fastest, but not only are they a good all around tire, but they also can be found for around $40 a tire online.  Sometimes cheaper, closer to $35 per tire if you can find a sale.

2016-03-18 5:02 PM
in reply to: #5172771

I'll also go in favor of the conti GP 4000s2 (S2 is just the newer version of the 4000S, I couldn't find the 4000S anywhere anymore).

One of the absolute lowest rolling resistance tires, especially if you put a set of latex tubes in them. Spendy tho. I think Pro Bike Kit has them for 40 each right now. I run them on my race wheels, but for everyday training I ride on gatorskins for the better puncture resistance.

If you do get the GP 4000s, make sure you put them on facing the right direction - the pattern is asymmetrical and there is an arrow on the side to indicate the proper direction of rotation (no idea if it actually makes a difference, but why mess with it, right?)
2016-03-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just an opinion of one.

Some of the roads I ride on are really safe if you ride way over on the shoulder where there's lots of debris. For that I use the Gatorskin Hardshell. For the "cleaner" roads I use the Grandprix 4000 S II. When I put the Gatorskins back on, it feels like I'm sticking to the pavement. It will calculate out to about 1/4 to 1/2 mph drop in average speed.

2016-03-19 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
while I'll echo the GP4000s(II) is probably the best set and forget tire out there, there are A LOT of tire choices at a lot of price points. Like Marc said, it depends on what you want. The tires I run on a training ride (which are gp4000s' btw) are vastly different than the tires I run when every second counts.

$60/tire is around the norm for what you'd expect to pay for decent tires at an LBS. Race tires are closer to $100(or more) per tire.

Do some research, in general you can look at tires as a triangle of choices.

__________fast___________

__durable_________cheap__

The closer you get to one side, the further away from the others you'll be.

2016-03-19 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by marti038

Just curious what sort of strategy or set up some of you use for tires? If I buy a bike I'm looking at then I'll need to buy some pretty quickly.

The best strategy depends on whether you have race wheels and also training wheels, or if you just use one set of wheels for everything. Then, it also depends a bit on what wheels you will be using. But, thinking this through is definitely worth it, there is some free speed to be gained.

Can you share more info about your situation?
2016-03-19 8:33 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks

I'm really just looking for an all around good tire for training. After reading the posts on this thread I think I'd buy a couple of gatorskins for now and buy a set of the 4000s in May just a few weeks before my first race of the season.

I don't have two sets of wheels, but changing the tires isn't that bad of a job.
2016-03-20 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

I'm really just looking for an all around good tire for training.

The best tires for training are the most durable and flat resistant ones, and widest tires that will safely fit your frame.

2016-03-20 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by marti038

Originally posted by DarkSpeedWorks

I'm really just looking for an all around good tire for training. After reading the posts on this thread I think I'd buy a couple of gatorskins for now and buy a set of the 4000s in May just a few weeks before my first race of the season.

I don't have two sets of wheels, but changing the tires isn't that bad of a job.

I have a set of Gatorskins on my road bike and I absolutely hate them! They are the roughest riding and slowest tires I've ever used! On my tri bike I have GP4000s and they are so much more comfortable and faster. I keep saying when I wear out the Gatorskins on my road bike I'm going to put on GP4000s on it but I don't think you can wear out the gatorskins!
2016-03-20 9:40 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Extreme Veteran
I finally managed to wear out a rear gatorskin, and LOVE the GP4000sii

Never going back!

So far only managed one puncture, which I doubt the gatorskin would have prevented anyways, a heavy duty staple at just the right angle :p

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tires Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tire Poll - Best alround race/train tire

Started by jspelay
Views: 2110 Posts: 22

2010-08-13 11:07 AM DanielG

Tire Question - tired of getting flats...

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 2270 Posts: 17

2008-04-14 9:45 PM Dream Chaser

flat tire / hole in tire - question

Started by Sluggo312
Views: 1030 Posts: 6

2008-03-06 8:41 AM devilwillride

Tires, tires, tires

Started by poolejr
Views: 1798 Posts: 15

2006-04-06 11:32 AM the bear

Tired of being tired/sick

Started by Tri Iowa
Views: 733 Posts: 4

2006-03-01 9:58 AM jszat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 0
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : January 1, 2008
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Ontherun
A general observation of how fatigue can be caused by so many different sources. Finding the true reason can be as simple as watching the sun rise.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 3
One procedure for changing a tire that you might learn from, but certainly don't want to follow precisely!