General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need suggestions for a tri suit or tri bibs for 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-04-14 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Need suggestions for a tri suit or tri bibs for 70.3?
Doing Raleigh 70.3 in June and want to buy a new suit. Haven't raced much in the last 5 years and need some new equipment. Been trying to study up on some of the new suits and now I see a new tri bib available. Thanks for any suggestions.

2016-04-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: skipg

User image

Subject: RE: Need suggestions for a tri suit or tri bibs for 70.3?

Originally posted by skipg Doing Raleigh 70.3 in June and want to buy a new suit. Haven't raced much in the last 5 years and need some new equipment. Been trying to study up on some of the new suits and now I see a new tri bib available. Thanks for any suggestions.

Been using De Soto Riviera tri bib for sprints to IM since 2013 and love them

2016-04-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #5177214

User image

Expert
Read a lot of good feedback on those so far. How bout a top for those. Any issues with a restroom break if needed?
2016-04-14 1:21 PM

User image

Durham, North Carolina
I have the shorts so I can't really answer your pit stop question, but I just wanted to say that I love my De Soto gear. Pretty sure they have an awesome satisfaction guarantee too, but I'm not positive on that.
2016-04-14 7:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by skipg Read a lot of good feedback on those so far. How bout a top for those. Any issues with a restroom break if needed?

Same issues as wearing cycling bibs, which I wear 99.999% of the time.  #1 no big deal, raise top lower bibs and do it.   #2, well that takes an act of Congress and two hangers    But I've never had this issue in 10+ years of racing 

I've used these in really hot races (Silverman) and I was worried they'd be too hot (two layers and all) but it really hasn't been an issue, especially since I wore a De Soto cooling top and will again at Cozumel.  But if it does get hot, or you need access, you can always quickly take the top off, take the shoulders off and let them hang down.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-14 7:16 PM
2016-04-14 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Another plug for Desoto, here. I have one Riviera 2 piece suit with a sleeveless top. I have another 2 piece Riviera suit with a sleeved top. The third suit is the liftfoil one-piece. They're all great. I wear them to train in (when it's warm enough), in lieu of dedicated cycling kits. The liftfoil is a PITA for restroom breaks, but it's basically a swim skin you can race in.

I have a champion systems one piece sleeved suit that I'll try out, soon. I wouldn't wear it in a half, just because of the bathroom thing. It's TIGHT and takes a little time to get into. If I was looking for one suit, my go-to would be the Riviera sleeveless.

Good luck.

2016-04-15 7:51 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What percentage of a Tri suit is look and style, how much is comfort, and how much is functionality?  

I ask because when friends got me to do a Sprtint Tri with them 7 years ago (on zero bike or swim training) I went to the sporting goods store the night before the race and bought some Speedo jammer swim trunks and an Under Armour compression shirt.  I raced in that the next morning and was better dressed than most of the people at the event.  Last year I switched from running to Triathlon and trained (even swimming and cycling this time) for a 70.3 race and did the race in the same jammer swim trunks and compression shirt as I used 7 years ago.  Again they got the job done and were better than what some people wore for the race.  I am doing my second 70.3 next month and as a self reward for all the work I am putting into preparation I made a $50 purchase and got a new Project Rudy Trisuit.  I got it because the price was right and assumed that a real trisuit would be more functional that what I had been using.  The truth is that I didn't give this purchase much more thought than I did my night before the race purchase 7 years ago.  My night before the race purchase was 90% based on look and style and 10% based on what I though might be functional.  The trisuit purchase was justified by saying it would be more functional but the truth is I didn't have a clue what would really be functional and what wouldn't be.  The trisuit does feel more comfortable than what I had been using but for all I know the Speedo Jammer Swim trunks may be more functional than project Rudy Trisuit.  

I guess the bottom line here is that when I see others asking for Trisuit recommendations and giving trisuit advise I want to know what their criterion is for Trisuits.  I have never given it much though before, but now that I have a trisuit and can compare it to what I was doing before I have a some intrest in the discussion and want to know if there is really a difference from wearing your Tri club's default two piece race kit or if by spending time to find the perfect Trisuit you can make a difference on how things go on race day.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-04-15 7:51 AM
2016-04-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

What percentage of a Tri suit is look and style, how much is comfort, and how much is functionality?  

Look and style-- your a grown man in spandex--- 0 %

Comfort 70%
Functionality 30%
2016-04-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by mike761

Look and style-- your a grown man in spandex--- 0 %

Comfort 70%
Functionality 30%

I won't buy it if I don't like the way it looks, but that is secondary for me. I have to like the pad #1 (you did 70.3 w/ nothing?!), and it has to fit good #2.
2016-04-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

If someone can do a half bike In just jammers more power to them and that is what they should use. I certainly couldn't and I've been riding for a long time. For me it's a mix between functionality and comfort, which when all is said and done for me is basically the same thing- i.e. Is it comfortable enough to do all three legs in. That's all I need to know
2016-04-15 10:54 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Lupy

...you did 70.3 w/ nothing?!.

Doesn't everyone?  :-)  

Yes...I do 3-1/2 hour training bike rides in the jammer swim suit and feel great.  I have seen photos of the bike fit and cycling gear the guys were using in the 80's it lead me to think that it is how you ride the bike that controls your comfort.  IF they were comfortable with what they had I figure anyone can be.  So..my thoughts are that if you are riding in a manner to causes discomfort then padding only covers the problem but doesn't fix it. :-)    

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-04-15 11:01 AM

2016-04-15 11:09 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Yes...I do 3-1/2 hour training bike rides in the jammer swim suit and feel great.  I have seen photos of the bike fit and cycling gear the guys were using in the 80's it lead me to think that it is how you ride the bike that controls your comfort.  IF they were comfortable with what they had I figure anyone can be.  So..my thoughts are that if you are riding in a manner to causes discomfort then padding only covers the problem but doesn't fix it. :-)    

You have edited quotes improperly-- I did not say any of that.

Edited by mike761 2016-04-15 11:09 AM
2016-04-15 11:18 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Durham, North Carolina

You have edited quotes improperly-- I did not say any of that.

I think he edited my quote from a list of quotes so it might seem that way.

I wish I could do that! I still haven't found a saddle that I can ride comfortably on without adding a pillow!
2016-04-15 5:07 PM

User image

Tri bibs have very thin pads.  And if you really want to do it like the OG guys you'd wear a speedo

Anyway, I guess pro tour riders and pro triathletes like Mirinda and Sanders must all have bad fits   

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-15 5:19 PM
2016-04-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

Tri bibs have very thin pads.  And if you really want to do it like the OG guys you'd wear a speedo

Anyway, I guess pro tour riders and pro triathletes like Mirinda and Sanders must all have bad fits   

Well...I am sure that Carfrae and Sanders are sacrificing a comfort in favor of time saving where ever they can with their respective fits.  Still their fits looks like a lazyboy sofa level of comfort compared to what some of the pioneer of the aero fit were experimenting with over three decades ago.

2016-04-19 10:29 AM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Well...I am sure that Carfrae and Sanders are sacrificing a comfort in favor of time saving where ever they can with their respective fits.  Still their fits looks like a lazyboy sofa level of comfort compared to what some of the pioneer of the aero fit were experimenting with over three decades ago.

Mmmkay. Quite amazing that you've done better with a pair of jammers and a vhs than what the most sophisticated and cutting edge guys at alpha mantis did with Lionel up in Canada, since he's uncomfortable and all. Quite amazing, really.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-04-19 10:30 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need suggestions for a tri suit or tri bibs for 70.3? Rss Feed