Sunny
Total Time = 3h 47m 39s
Overall Rank = 10/89
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Ate my oatmeal, banana with PB, and drove to the race
Event warmup:

none. Had to stand in line for almost 30 min to get race packet. I did swim about 100 yard about 20 min before I started to feel the water.
Swim
  • 22m 42s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went great. Except when I went to reset my watch just prior to the start, it was dead. I started right on the line at the front of the wave. Sighted well, swam pretty straight, and just nailed the swim. Had the fastest swim out of everyone somehow! Kept it smooth and calm the whole time. Never red lined, and kept breathing under control. I started catching the younger wave that had a 3 min head start after teh first turn. I never saw anyone else in a blue swim cap, but I assumed I had been passed. There was one guy right behind me getting out of the water, but I had no idea I had the best swim time until I saw it online.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

everything went well. About a 200m uphill run to T1 with shitty gravel all over the road. I managed to run/shuffle uphill the whole way, had the suit off to my waist by the time I got to the bike. Sat down, stripped off the suit, got shoes and helmet on and was gone. No issues.

nothing, had the 4th fastest time
Bike
  • 2h 01m 52s
  • 38 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike. Kept it comfortably hard the whole way. The hills and wind were never-ending and tough. I kept it steady, though. Averaged 18.8 for the first lap, was at 19.0 after the 2nd lap, and ended up back at 18.8. Consistent, getting better, but still not up to the swim and run.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Timing sensors were off, so no time available. Off the bike easily enough, ran te bike to the rack, got racked easily. Shoes changed, hat and belt on, and was off, feeling good. No issues

nothing
Run
  • 1h 19m 56s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went great. Felt good off the bike. Managed the opening uphill mile, and just kept it going. I liked the mix of up and downhills, which allowed me to stretch the legs periodically which helped. Speed walked up the 2 big hills at mile 3 and 8, but other than that, I pushed it consistently and kept it just below the red line. Unfortunately, without a watch, I don't really know how steady it was or what my splits were. I wasn't focused on a specific pace, though, and just ran it by feel, and it apparetnly worked well. Finished strong, had plenty left in hte tank, too. This was as good as I've felt running as I have in a long time. It was certainly better than the last race a couple of weeks ago.

not a thing
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a bottle of water and packed up. Could've have kept running I was feeling so good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hills on the bike

Event comments:

I had done this race once before, and several other races put on by Endurance Sports Management, and they have always been great. Today, however was a different story. Transition area parking lot was terrible, with huge potholes, terrible pavement and loose gravel everywhere. They did warn us about this, but they could've at least swept the gravel. Also, on the long run up from the lake to T1, the pavement was better but there was still gravel and twigs everywhere that should've been swept. Packet pickup was slow, I had to wait 30 min to get stuff. Race was delayed by 20 min due to the log jam at packet pick up. Bike course was not well marked. I know 2 sprint racers who missed the turn to their finish adn rode an extra 10 miles. Post race spread was nonexistent. Had to walk the 200m back down the steep hill to the almost all the way to the lake to find a table with a box of oranges, 2 bananas left, a few granola bars, and trail mix. A guy at the finish line gave me a bottle of water. Never found any pizza, beer, gatorade, or anything else.

I'm not sure what was up with Kevin and the ESM team with this one, as I've never had a bad experience at one of their races before, but there were majors issues at the race today. Luckily, I had a great day, so it didn't bother me as much as it might have if I had raced poorly.

Last updated: 2016-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:42 | 1760 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 1/89
Performance: Good
Suit: full suit
Course: 2 loop rectabgle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:01:52 | 38 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 20/89
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2.5 loop with constant rolling hills. Never felt a helping win, other than a short downhill stretch on hwy 70. I know it had to be there more, but it never felt like it.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:56 | 9.3 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 14/89
Course: 4.65 miles out nad back through the park. Shaded, luckily, but very hilly. Nothing too bad, but constant rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-05-07 9:28 PM

Subject: Dickson Endurance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dickson Endurance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dickson Endurance Triathlon

Started by scubavol
Views: 907 Posts: 3

2013-05-14 2:32 PM scubavol

Dickson Endurance Triathlon

Started by dhwebb
Views: 929 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 7:35 PM dhwebb

Port Dickson International Triathlon - OKlympic Di

Started by stoweq
Views: 1468 Posts: 1

2008-07-02 8:00 PM stoweq

Port Dickson International Triathlon

Started by crab68
Views: 2390 Posts: 1

2006-07-28 7:31 PM crab68

Port Dickson International Triathlon

Started by kebwilson
Views: 2234 Posts: 1

2005-07-22 5:02 AM kebwilson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2016
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Defining "good fats" in an athlete's diet

date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?
date : May 24, 2011
author : AMSSM
What could be causing pain and soreness in my tailbone?

date : March 6, 2008
author : Diane1961
As triathlon gains in popularity, there will be more athletes like me: never participated in competitive sports, minimal race experience, and only recently taken up endurance sports.
date : July 9, 2007
author : AMSSM
The consensus is that caffeine does enhance performance and decreases perceived exertion in endurance exercise. There are no significant performance benefits in short, high-intensity exercise.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
Now, my question is, whether doing another simulated triathlon this weekend is a good idea or should I just rely on bricks to build my endurance and preparation level?
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.