General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 2s
Overall Rank = 48/112
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast sandwich on the road, arrive early get transition set up, and wait! Kind bar 40 mins or so prior to race start, caffeinated Huma gel 15 mins prior.
Event warmup:

Short, maybe 10-12 min warmup slow jog just to get things moving. It likely wasn't enough to help get warmed up to speed but it did shake the tightness and soreness in my hip.
Run
  • 15m 11s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I nearly hit my target of 7:30 pace, a little slower thanks to the excessive wind.
What would you do differently?:

More warmup jogging, less hanging out in transition talking!
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Still newbie enough to leave my shoes out in transition and change them. At least I have tri shoes with only one velcro.

More transition practice :)
Bike
  • 38m 44s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Running first sapped enough energy out of the quads that my climbing was terrible. A couple times I was in the granniest of granny gears and still had to get out of the saddle once. Just seemed inexcuseable for me... Got passed by someone on flat pedals, someone on a 30 year old bike with toe cages, you name it.

Practice more hills. Seriously it seems obvious and yet I settle in to the same old routes around my house in training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

As always coming in to T2, despite having done brick work, the bike holds me up and I need two hands on it to run through transition. Using two hands to hold myself up, I haven't a free hand to undo the helmet or anything. Then add in needing tightly tied running shoes and, well, things are slow.

Really gotta visit the idea of locklaces. I said this last year and I'm saying it again.
Run
  • 24m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Was really feeling the heavy use of legs leading up to the final run. The first half mile or so out of transition is uphill. Same hill as the bikes, and wasn't nearly as noticeable on the bike as it was on foot. Looked at my watch for pace, 09:50 (avg. pace for the whole 3.1 was 7:49). took nearly two miles to settle in to a pace, and then we went up the hardest hill on the run course.

Still working on getting my speed back this early in the season after Half Marathon training over the winter.
More hill work on the run too, though I'm much better at running hills than biking them!
Post race
Warm down:

None really to speak of, was just happy to have finished without walking - either during the runs or on the bike!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two major things - one my multisport training over the winter was non-existent, I was solely focused on the HM distance. And haven't done any strength training at all. Two I didn't taper as well as I should have, ended up trying a long slow run that I pushed the pace on, and same with a race distance slow bike that I also pushed the pace on. Maybe like went 85% on both when I should have been like 70 or less.

Event comments:

Max Performance are very well organized in their races, and this was no exception. The volunteers were cheerful and helpful and the post race food (pulled pork in my case) was tasty. All in all well done!

Last updated: 2016-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:11 | 02 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 0/112
Performance: Good
Course: Slightly hilly out and back with a 180 turn at mile 1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:38:44 | 10 miles | 15.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 56/112
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Hilly and bumpy course, open to road traffic. Passing was difficult due to limited space and watching for road traffic. To note on the roads - the roads in the park, maybe a 3rd of the ride, are newly paved. The roads through the towns are rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:12 | 03.1 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 35/112
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly, windy loop run. very picturesque around the park, and over the dike next to the reservoir. The wind was ludicrous enough I was laughing going over the dike because I could hear people coming up to pass me from a ways away - from the sound of their race bib flapping in the wind!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-05-16 1:44 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon

2016-05-16 2:11 PM
in reply to: #5182065

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon

Great job!

2016-05-17 7:56 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon

Nice run(s).  I've always wondered how a duathlon would feel.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon

Started by tri_bob
Views: 787 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 5:54 PM tri_bob

New England Season Opener Sprint Duathlon

Started by lcapon
Views: 777 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 9:05 AM lcapon

New England Season Opener Sprint Triathlon

Started by littycm
Views: 1439 Posts: 3

2011-05-09 6:34 AM littycm

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 1604 Posts: 5

2011-05-09 8:50 AM Rudedog55

Started by FlyTheBlueSky
Views: 2201 Posts: 11

2011-05-09 10:46 AM running4beer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.

date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.