General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Has A Flat, How Should I Manage? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-03 8:12 AM

Subject: Bike Has A Flat, How Should I Manage?
I've ridden bikes for years, but never really dealt with a flat. My tri bike has a flat on the rear tire, and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I will change the tube if I need too but what I'm asking is what do you generally do if you have a flat? Check to see if there is actually a puncture? Just replace the tube no questions asked? Other?

Thanks for any advice. I have a long ride coming up Saturday but I'll just ride my MTB if I can't get my tire fixed by then.

2016-06-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: manimal

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Bike Has A Flat, How Should I Manage?

take the tube out. put a bit of air in it to see where the leak is. check the tire to see if any glass/debris is lodged in it.  put in new tube. pump up.

2016-06-03 8:37 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

take the tube out. put a bit of air in it to see where the leak is. check the tire to see if any glass/debris is lodged in it.  put in new tube. pump up.

Thanks for the advice.
2016-06-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
here is a pretty good video from GCN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLO_HO0kEjs

Edited by DaveL 2016-06-03 8:39 AM
2016-06-03 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Really? YouTube has dozens of how to fix a flat videos. Watch one. Flat repair is a basic cycling skill. It took me 5 minutes to fix the front tire flat I had today. Always carry a tube and CO2 refill kit. 

2016-06-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I think the first post handled this question best.  If on a ride, check tire for debris and change tube.  If at home, spend more time and check tube and tire to identify cause.

2016-06-03 9:00 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Learning to change a flat is a essential to riding a road or tri bike. EVERYONE will flat on the road eventually, I usually get 2 to 5 a year. Just had my first one in my first tri of the year 2 weeks ago(glass).

After you have the tube out make sure you run your fingers thru the inside of the tire feeling for whatever punctured that tube, careful it will also puncture your finger.

3 basic ways to flat:

1 something went thru the tire and put a hole in the tube. (glass, bits of metal, thorns, etc...)
2 tube was not installed correctly and pinched between tire and rim, this will fail quickly after installing a new tube.
3 Pinch flat (snake bite): either not enough air in your tire or you just hit a pot hole really hard. flattens the tire enough to pinch the tube/tire between road and rim causing 2 small punctures. Looks like a snake bite.

Also sometimes you get defective tubes right out of the box, I've had a few of these that were leaking right at the valve stem.

look at online videos and practice, if that's not working for you a lot of shops will show you, or have classes on how to do it.
2016-06-03 9:19 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by mike761

Learning to change a flat is a essential to riding a road or tri bike. EVERYONE will flat on the road eventually, I usually get 2 to 5 a year. Just had my first one in my first tri of the year 2 weeks ago(glass).

After you have the tube out make sure you run your fingers thru the inside of the tire feeling for whatever punctured that tube, careful it will also puncture your finger.

3 basic ways to flat:

1 something went thru the tire and put a hole in the tube. (glass, bits of metal, thorns, etc...)
2 tube was not installed correctly and pinched between tire and rim, this will fail quickly after installing a new tube.
3 Pinch flat (snake bite): either not enough air in your tire or you just hit a pot hole really hard. flattens the tire enough to pinch the tube/tire between road and rim causing 2 small punctures. Looks like a snake bite.

Also sometimes you get defective tubes right out of the box, I've had a few of these that were leaking right at the valve stem.

look at online videos and practice, if that's not working for you a lot of shops will show you, or have classes on how to do it.

4) The wheel liner that covers the spoke nipples has slipped and the tube was punctured by a spoke end. Not that uncommon.
I agree with the others that say you NEED to learn how to do this and be good at it. Don't rely on a cell phone when you are on the road.
2016-06-03 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by dmiller5

Easiest way to check if there's anything stuck in the tire causing the flat is to run a cotton ball on the inside of it. If it snags on anything, then that's more that likely the cause of the flat.

Also, if you have been riding bikes for years, have you replaced the tires? They could be threadbare by now, which will definitely cause a blowout or a flat.

Edited by audiojan 2016-06-03 9:31 AM
2016-06-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

I'm pretty new to changing flats too, having done my first one less than 2 years ago. That one was on my daughter's bike and it was caused by improper installation (from the box store we bought it from). The tube had a twist in it, causing it to burst at the seem when it was inflated . Last year I think I had 6 or more flats. I added a set of Mr. Tuffy liners and that really helped. They are a strip that goes between the tire and the tube and are supposed to prevent things from getting to the tube.

The advice given thus far is good, but here's a few more things to consider if you're fixing a flat at home (versus on the side of the road)

Once the tire is off the rim, make sure there is no debris in it before replacing it or you will have another flat rather quickly. Instead of running your finger around the inside of it, use a cotton ball. The cotton will shred and stick to any debris.

When I am looking for leaks on a tube, I like to use Windex sprayed on it while it is inflated. The leak will start blowing bubbles. They make special soapy water for this, or you can use dish soap and water in a spray bottle too. The Windex dries pretty clean though, which is important if you are going to patch the leak instead of replacing the tube.

On my road bike (tri bike?) I have a set of Gator Skin tires that are supposed to be puncture resistant. They seem to be doing their job, though I probably just cursed the whole operation with that statement.

Hope this helps,

J White

2016-06-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Don't use windex... Yes, it dries fast and clean, but it also dries out the tube which may cause a flat.

Liners and puncture resistant tires like the Gatorskins are ok for training, but they are slow, so I wouldn't race on them. A few things that will help, make sure you're not riding worn out tires to start with... if you see a flat area at the crown of the tire, then it's getting worn out. If you see any cotton threads, then it's definitely way past its prime. Use good quality tubes (personally, I use Continental Race or Race Light) and do not over or under inflate the tires. Pressure is in relationship to tire width (so a 23mm tire will have higher pressure than a 25mm for example) and your weight. The lighter you are, the lower the pressure you need. You should inflate your tires before each and every ride.

2016-06-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Lots of good ideas so far that pretty much covers things.  I'd just add to not wait until you are on the side of the road to attempt your first flat repair.  Practice it a few times until you are somewhat proficient at home.  When my daughter first started tri training, I met her at her house for a ride.  Before we left I let the air out of her tire and told her to replace the tube.  She looked at me like what the ??  She had no idea where to even begin.  I made her do it herself and even though she fumbled about for quite some time, she did do it and I felt a lot better about her riding alone in the future.

2016-06-03 12:07 PM

User image

When people are telling you to figure out where the puncture is in the tube, they are leaving out an important piece of information. Unless you are just patching the tube, you are also doing that so you know where to check the tire so you don't get another flat immediately. Always line the valve stem up with a particular spot on the tire. For example, if you are riding Gatorskins, line the valve up with the G. That way, if you find the cut in the tube is at 4:00 relative to the valve stem, you know to make sure the tire is completely free of debris at 4:00 relative to the G on the tire.
2016-06-03 2:01 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Originally posted by happyscientist When people are telling you to figure out where the puncture is in the tube, they are leaving out an important piece of information. Unless you are just patching the tube, you are also doing that so you know where to check the tire so you don't get another flat immediately. Always line the valve stem up with a particular spot on the tire. For example, if you are riding Gatorskins, line the valve up with the G. That way, if you find the cut in the tube is at 4:00 relative to the valve stem, you know to make sure the tire is completely free of debris at 4:00 relative to the G on the tire.

^^^THIS^^^

Lots of times a tire can shift when removing the tube so it always helps to have a consistent point of reference.

2016-06-05 10:55 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Also check the rim strip. If the strip is damaged or out of place you will get repeated flats
2016-06-07 10:16 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by happyscientist When people are telling you to figure out where the puncture is in the tube, they are leaving out an important piece of information. Unless you are just patching the tube, you are also doing that so you know where to check the tire so you don't get another flat immediately. Always line the valve stem up with a particular spot on the tire. For example, if you are riding Gatorskins, line the valve up with the G. That way, if you find the cut in the tube is at 4:00 relative to the valve stem, you know to make sure the tire is completely free of debris at 4:00 relative to the G on the tire.

^^^THIS^^^

Lots of times a tire can shift when removing the tube so it always helps to have a consistent point of reference.

^^ This again just in case you didn't see it the first 2 times. So many people change the tube and get another flat because then did not keep the tire aligned and left something in it.

Another great thing to have is a tire patch. If you are out in the middle of nowhere and make a hole in your tire, all the tubes in the world won't help. Some folks use a dollar bill, but I carry one of these. They are temporary, but will usually get you home unless you ripped a huge hole in your tire.

http://www.parktool.com/product/emergency-tire-boot-tb-2

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Has A Flat, How Should I Manage? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone else having issues on long bike rides?

Started by Blastman
Views: 1516 Posts: 9

2014-03-04 7:00 AM Hot Runner

Having a hard time finding tri bike shoes

Started by gti123
Views: 1407 Posts: 13

2012-07-10 9:42 AM taylorz13

Does having a fancy tri bike put more pressure on me Pages: 1 2 3

Started by brreems
Views: 5850 Posts: 69

2012-07-10 7:11 PM mattramirez

Having trouble installing this bike computer

Started by Jtaylor
Views: 1076 Posts: 6

2009-05-15 11:33 PM TeamAngel

Having a really hard time spending my bike fund money

Started by jase714
Views: 2046 Posts: 21

2007-03-05 9:48 AM davidb
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Push-Up - Flat Bench strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?
date : July 5, 2005
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The company’s first two offerings are an aerodynamic hydration system and a saddle bag repair kit. PodiumQuest sets itself apart by paying attention to the little things.

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
My right foot is killing me (flat feet, wearing orthotics). I can no longer run on it and am forced to walk. After walking 10k, my foot felt like it was squeezed really hard.