General Discussion Race Reports! » MWR Diego Garcia Mini Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MWR Diego Garcia Mini Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Diego Garcia, null
IO
MWR
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 31h 40m
Overall Rank = 2/40
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Splet in hotel downtown. Got up at 7:00 and talked to th wife on the phone. Ate a banana, oreo poptarts, and drank some coffee. Took 3 hammer legs tabs to buffer the lactic acid that I was going to make during the race.
Event warmup:

Bike a mile to the marina from the hotel. Tried toget in the water before the race but wasn't allowed until right befre the swim start. Made sure to get whole body under to prevent shock.
Swim
  • 02m 24s
  • 150 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started front inside right to get te best line. Great running div into the first waves and made my way around the buoyes. Got a small draft between the buoyes from a swimmer but passed him n the last section of the swim. Sun was in the eyes on the way out but was able to manage it on the 2ns and 3rd sections of the swim. Only drank 2 full waves of water.
What would you do differently?:

Stayed about 85-90% on the swim for effort. Happy coming out of thw ater fourth.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Got out of the water and made my way through the marina changing/restrooms. Dumped some water on my feet to get the sand off. I didn't really struggle with any area it just seemed to go slow. Took the bike and ran to the rode. Haven't practice a good running moun on the trek so I got up to speed slowly. Lost 1 spot out of T1 so started the bike leg in 5th.

get my head in the game, no specific error to point to.
Bike
  • 16m 33s
  • 6 miles
  • 21.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out onto the bike in 5th place but within the first mile was in 2nd. The way out was a strong 12-15 mph wind straight in the face, I was able to hold 20+mph in the whole outbound section and was slowly gaining on the race leader who was on the Frank Cable and packed him trek speed concept 9 series with him. On the second drink of gatorade at mile 1 I dropped my water bottle and didn't go back for it. This left me a bit thirsty for the remainder of the race but since it was so short i decided to suck it up. Once we flipped it he opened the 30 second lead to about 1 and a half minutes.

I lost the mental game and didn't push as hard on the bike for the last 1-1.5 miles of the bike. Don't drop water bottles. Trek 1.1 isnt a great race bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

No dismount line so I rode as close to my rack as I could, uclipped my left foot so i would be ready to hop off. Just before my rack my front tire hit sand and went sideways, almost causing me to wipe out. Got evrythign changed and socks and shoes on and was off.

Be on the lookout for soft sand.
Run
  • 10m 45s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs just didn't want to fire as I started the run, was barely holding onto a sub 7 minute pace with a 180bpm heartrate. Was down mentally still knowing that I couldn't close the 90 second deficit to the guy in first. At the turn I took a cup of water and saw the guy in 3rd about 20 seconds back. This was enough motivation to get me back in the game, picked up the pace by about 20 seconds per mile and finished 40 seconds ahead of the 3rd place guy. still 90 seconds behind the leader.

Get tougher mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Went over to the shade and let my HR recover, got up had some oranges and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not having a tri bike or clip on aerobars, losing the mental game, dropping my water bottle 1 mile into the bike, and not having an gu's.

Event comments:

Fun race in the middle of the British Indian Ocean Territory. Not many people get to race on the island. Very low key triathlon but amazing comroderie! Would do one every month if it was possible.

Last updated: 2016-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:24 | 150 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 4/40
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Swim was a clockwise swim from the north side of the marina to the south side swimming around the dock. The swim was advertised as 200m but was closer to 150m in length.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:16:33 | 06 miles | 21.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 2/40
Performance: Good
HR xxx, estimated power xxx watts https://www.strava.com/
Wind: Strong
Course: Course is a straight shot from th marina to the airport and back. 3 miles out and 3 miles back with 1 turn and a 10foot hill just after the turn.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:10:45 | 01.5 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 2/40
Performance: Below average
average HR xxxbpm 1st mile - 6:xx - xxxbpm .5 mile - 6:xx - xxxbpm https://www.strava.com/activities/
Course: Straight out and back from the marina to the back end of the village, .75 miles in each direction.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-07-10 5:40 AM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: MWR Diego Garcia Mini Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MWR Diego Garcia Mini Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Mini Triathlon

Started by ABumann
Views: 866 Posts: 1

2013-04-02 3:22 PM ABumann

US Army MWR Sprint Triathlon

Started by stacylparker
Views: 867 Posts: 1

2010-09-13 2:45 PM stacylparker

US Army MWR Sprint Triathlon

Started by hildekq
Views: 1154 Posts: 1

2010-09-12 4:23 PM hildekq

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon (Triathlon - Mini-Sprint)

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1956 Posts: 2

2009-09-21 3:27 PM Manatee Express

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - San Diego (Triathlon - Super Sprint)

Started by newbiedana
Views: 1842 Posts: 6

2007-10-30 4:01 PM milaminute
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 30, 2013
author : Ron
comments : 1
We have new 10 and 20 week training plans for the New Year! These mini sprint plans are very conservative and will get any person thinking of training for a triathlon ready to cross the finish-line.

date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.
date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.