General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patch or Replace? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-23 12:09 PM

User image

Subject: Patch or Replace?
I had a hole in my tube on a training ride last weekend and I have a race tomorrow. We have patched the tire and I rode again on it later that day. I have a race tomorrow and my husband says that the patch is fine but I'm nervous about it. I had a rather disastrous race last time and would like to avoid another one. I do have a couple spare tubes. Because I'm 2 hours out of the city living at the lake, my husband picked up a new tube for me but I'm worried because it seems rather large. Should I replace the tube before tomorrow's sprint or should I ride on the patch? My instinct is to change the tube (although I'm worried because I don't have time to really put any test rides in to the new tube) but he insists the patch makes it "good as new" and it will be fine.

2016-07-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: dramaqueenjs

Subject: RE: Patch or Replace?
Depends if he used a glue patch of an instant patch. I got a flat at the beginning of spring and used a glue patch on it and haven't had a single issue since. Instant patches aren't nearly as good though.

If you're worrying about it, swap to a new tube and do a quick test ride beforehand as a warmup.
2016-07-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: dramaqueenjs

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Patch or Replace?

As a rule, I always replace tubes.  I carry a patch kit with me for mid-ride issues of course, but if I get a flat I pretty much replace the tube at my first opportunity. Training tubes are like $5 each, I look at them as "consumables". 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Patch or Replace? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patching a Wetsuit??

Started by tmkeesler
Views: 1027 Posts: 5

2012-07-11 8:35 AM audiojan

patching a wetsuit question

Started by tahrens
Views: 931 Posts: 2

2010-05-12 1:20 PM DanielG

Glueless patches?

Started by tjh
Views: 865 Posts: 7

2007-11-26 10:54 AM espressofish

Replacing Bike Shoes

Started by tboepple
Views: 812 Posts: 4

2005-06-11 8:41 AM Technikal

Patching tires

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 932 Posts: 10

2005-06-05 5:48 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 21, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.

date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
comments : 2
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.