General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim googles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-01 1:04 PM

Subject: Swim googles
Hi All,

I'm new to triathlon and just completed my first sprint. Somehow, I have found myself registered for a HIM in August (Timberman). My training is going well except I don't seem to be able to swim a fairly straight line. Need to improve this as much as possible in the next 3 weeks (gulp). Part of the problem is my googles (brand unknown, from COSTCO). They leak and fog up terribly so I can't really see anything. I want to try the Roka R1 goggles but there are so many different tints to choose from and not having had much experience in the sport, it makes it difficult to figure out which one to choose. My HIM swim will take place about 6:40 a.m. during the 3rd week of August. There may be sun, but I'm guessing it won't be too intense at that time of day. I could select googles for: direct sun; transitional light; morning light; low light, fog and mist. It seems like "morning light" would be the logical choice, but I want the best bang for my buck. Is there a type that would work well for all lighting conditions? Or, should I buy more than one pair. Thanks. Liz

2016-08-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: liz3668_1

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Swim googles
Oddly enough.....I just got two pair of R1's from Tri Sports (Roka was sold out of the shades I wanted). Look for the light orange-ish color for morning (and overall) visibility. I've used mine 3-4X now, and they're great. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, but the Aqua Shperes I've been using just keep leaking earlier and earlier.

I think the color you want (and I have) is light vermillion, but it's the light orange looking option. If you're a USAT member, you can save 15% through TriSports. if you're not, Thomas Gerlach (he's a member here) can save you 20% through them if you'll send him a note and request a code.

Good luck in your HIM.
2016-08-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: nc452010

Thank you!
2016-08-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: liz3668_1

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
My .02$ worth:
Don't get too hung up on brands. Though they might be great goggles, they might not be great goggles for YOU, which is pretty important.
Go to a store and start trying them on. All goggles come in open-able packages for just this reason. Put them on your face without the strap. If they stick, they fit you. If they don't, don't waste your time and money trying to make them work, you'll be disappointed.
As for tint, I use smoke for everything. I've never had a situation where they were too dark and I swim in ALL conditions. Even at night they work fine (and do you really want to see what's lurking below you?)
2016-08-02 10:55 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Originally posted by pwoolson

My .02$ worth:
Don't get too hung up on brands. Though they might be great goggles, they might not be great goggles for YOU, which is pretty important.
Go to a store and start trying them on. All goggles come in open-able packages for just this reason. Put them on your face without the strap. If they stick, they fit you. If they don't, don't waste your time and money trying to make them work, you'll be disappointed.
As for tint, I use smoke for everything. I've never had a situation where they were too dark and I swim in ALL conditions. Even at night they work fine (and do you really want to see what's lurking below you?)

I agree w/ trying them on first if you can. I only have one tint and its the mirrored one. I've been able to use them in all sorts of lighting w/ no issues. If I was going to have two pairs I would have one clear or lighter tint for indoors and keep my mirrored for outdoors.
2016-08-02 4:56 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Try them on.  Goggles are goggles if you ask me.  $20 vs $50 don't really change much.  If they fit and don't leak then great.

I use just a little Johnson and Johnson's baby soap on the inside of my goggles.  dab a bit.  rub it around.  Rinse it out.  Good for a few swims in the pool and easily a triathlon.

2016-08-04 9:02 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by siouxcityhawk

Try them on.  Goggles are goggles if you ask me.  $20 vs $50 don't really change much.  If they fit and don't leak then great.

I use just a little Johnson and Johnson's baby soap on the inside of my goggles.  dab a bit.  rub it around.  Rinse it out.  Good for a few swims in the pool and easily a triathlon.

Agree on both counts. I ended up with the larger Aqua Sphere Vista almost face mask style, Yes they look funny but I can wear them through any workout and they never leak...for me. Get one that will stay on your face without the strap briefly and it should be good to go.

I use J&J baby shampoo just a bit differently. I put a few drops in and rub it around. The leave it overnight to dry on. I then rinse it out the next day but don't rub. They are good to go for me 3 weeks swimming 4x/week. For an event I will do it a day or two in advance and get at least one swim in with them before the race.
2016-08-05 8:30 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I agree with the rest of the comments. Brands doesn't mean anything if they don't fit your face. I had a pair of Roka R1s in Light Vermillion (the pink color) that were, tint-wise, wonderful. The visibility, the clarity, everything was spot on. But even though they stuck on my face without the strap for awhile, once I actually got in the water, they leaked terribly. I payed them forward recently. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect goggle. Nothing sticks to my face. Just gotta keep trying.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim googles Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Perscription Swim Googles

Started by myred86
Views: 1069 Posts: 12

2011-06-13 7:47 PM dmauter

How to stop swimming google fog

Started by Franky45
Views: 4302 Posts: 15

2010-06-01 10:37 AM pdbman

Swim googles, How to get the best fit???

Started by mainerunner
Views: 1514 Posts: 12

2009-03-03 9:33 PM Max_O

Swim googles for sunny weather

Started by mcdelroy
Views: 995 Posts: 9

2008-04-14 11:26 AM idahodan

ORL HIM - Google Swim

Started by tydarby
Views: 891 Posts: 8

2006-01-14 9:17 AM Rogillio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 17, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
What if your workouts magically appeared in your calendar?

date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.