General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-22 3:17 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: Racine 70.3
Anyone have the scoop on Ironman Racine? I hear the swim was cancelled and bike shortened?

2016-08-22 7:58 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Racine 70.3

Bad weather moved in so they cancelled the swim.  They delayed the start time and shortened the bike to 30 miles.  The run was unchanged.  I had several friends that went up there...some of them raced and some bagged it.  I think the ones bagging it were hoping for a deferral or discount on another race but I haven't heard if they had any luck with that.

2016-12-12 2:56 PM

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Minus last year's weather, how would this race be for someone's first 70.3? Looking for a half which is within driving distance. Torn between this or Muncie.

Thanks.
2016-12-12 3:02 PM
in reply to: Bocrunning

User image

Franklin, TN

I've heard nothing but good things about Muncie.  I would go there if deciding between the 2.  I think Muncie is non-wetsuit if that makes a difference.  I've done Chattanooga 70.3 twice so I'm thinking I might do Muncie or Ohio this year if I do a HIM.

2016-12-12 5:47 PM
in reply to: #5196191

User image

I have not raced Racine, but I raced Muncie this year. It is a non-wet suit swim, not too bad of a hilly bike, but consistent rolling hills for the run. The run was much more challenging than I expected.

The other concern with Muncie is the heat. It was rather humid the day of the race, but they do a fantastic job. Probably the best athlete food I have ever had. The race is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so book your hotel early if you decide to do it.

Good luck.
2016-12-13 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Bocrunning

Minus last year's weather, how would this race be for someone's first 70.3? Looking for a half which is within driving distance. Torn between this or Muncie.

Thanks.

What about Steelhead 70.3 in Benton Harbor, Michigan? It has to be within a few hours of you.

Having done Racine and Steelhead, I would take Steelhead.

Racine is a bigger town, and more spectators.
Both swims are in Lake Michigan, and can be a lamb or a lion, depending on the day.
Steelhead wins the bike portion hands down. Both are fairly flat (look at the elevation charts), but Steelhead is more country/scenic, and Racine has problems with their bike course, about 30 miles of it is very rough, beat up pavement.
Run - Both are fairly flat.

My 2 cents

2016-12-13 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
I've done all 3 - Racine, Steelhead, Muncie - and Steelhead just edges out Racine since I enjoyed the bike course more. The Steelhead run is not too bad (a run up to the Whirlpool campus where you do 2 loops), but there is a monster hill that could catch you off guard. As much as Muncie was easy to get to and well organized, the bike was soooooo boring to me.
2016-12-13 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
It is a great first race 70.3 IMO, actually its predecessor, The Spirit of Racine was my first triathlon ever. Things that can be a little more challenging if you don't have experience:

- Swim always has the potentially to be cold as lake can role over. It can be 65 and drop to 55 but has never been non-wetsuit.
- Bike course is very bump but flat and fast overall
- Run is relatively flat and should be a little more bearable than muncie

Bonus, it is a little easier to find a hotel within reasonable driving distance of race site.
2016-12-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jeff B

User image

Temperance, Michigan
Thanks for all the feedback! Will have to checkout Steelhead also.
2016-12-13 4:27 PM
in reply to: FurnaceM3

Originally posted by FurnaceM3
As much as Muncie was easy to get to and well organized, the bike was soooooo boring to me.

I can echo that. It's certainly not an exciting bike course. Although, it is a closed course....or has been.
Which is nice.

I'd love to do Steelhead. It's in my favorite part of Michigan. What can I say. I'm from St. Louis. We don't call Michigan "St. Louis' Air Conditioner" for nothing.

But, I bailed in 2015 in favor of Muncie since it was my first 70.3 and I figured it had the least chance of being cancelled. Lake Michigan can get REALLY wild. And not wild like "wow, fun waves, where's my surfboard?"....more like "wow, waves....scary rip tides and nasty undertow" and depending on which way the wind is blowing, it can be glacially cold

Muncie minuses:
-boring bike
-meh run
-lake swim with return leg right into the rising sun (hopefully, as opposed to clouds where the sun should be)
-meh food afterwards. Didn't care. I'd already scoped out a White Castle for the ride home

Muncie plusses:
-fantastic volunteers....I'm sure they're all good....but anybody who did it in 2015 will long remember "the girl with the megaphone" at the run aid station
-fantastic parking volunteers....don't be "that guy" who stops to let someone out so they don't have to walk from the parking....they were ON IT. With limited ingress, they weren't having it. Which is good. They really did a great job with mitigating snarls
-meh run...I guess. "People" say it's "hilly". A few longer slight inclines, but nothing at all that bothered a duffer like me
-lake swim was dead calm, plenty of elbow room as far as I needed
-cheap hotels 20 minutes away
2016-12-13 4:48 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

I just registered for Ironman Ohio 70.3, which is in Delaware, Ohio, just north of Columbus, Ohio. Might be an option for you also. I started a thread asking about it, got positive reviews.

2016-12-21 3:13 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

I just registered for Ironman Ohio 70.3, which is in Delaware, Ohio, just north of Columbus, Ohio. Might be an option for you also. I started a thread asking about it, got positive reviews.

I've done Racine 3x and Ohio last year (never done Muncie or Steelhead). Everyone complains of the roads in Racine, but I think the Ohio roads were worse. They are VERY rural, a lot of 1 lane roads, but hardly any traffic. Swim in Lake Michigan is a gamble, but the water is clean and clear, which is nice (plus you KNOW it going to be wetsuit legal). Ohio was a well put on race, but a harder run that Racine I think (although Racine does have those 2 short little hills each lap which kill you). Ohio is a 2 transition race as well (which didn't matter to me, but might to some people).

One knock I had against Ohio is the run course. It's a "lollipop" with 2 loops, so you don't get to come back by the finish line halfway and have your people see you, they only see you at the beginning and end. That's the reason why I love Kansas' run course, you could see your people multiple times per lap easily.

If your concerned about a race being shortened, I Muncie has been shortened at least once due to heat, so you never know what your going to get. With Wisconsin 70.3 being in Madison in June, I wonder what it will do for the registration numbers in Racine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racine 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Racine 70.3 world championship qualifying

Started by dunham06
Views: 1164 Posts: 2

2011-06-14 12:56 PM TUEFELHUNDEN

Racine 70.3

Started by dunham06
Views: 3697 Posts: 19

2010-11-01 3:53 PM 1stTimeTri

Racine 70.3 registration

Started by tmoran80
Views: 1024 Posts: 1

2010-09-23 4:59 PM tmoran80

Which race? Sttelhead or Racine 70.3

Started by leftrunner
Views: 935 Posts: 5

2010-09-17 6:22 AM jlpete98

Racine 70.3 - Beware!

Started by TommySnark
Views: 1302 Posts: 3

2010-03-05 9:26 AM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Seht
comments : 8
My race from obesity to Vineman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.