Lifetime Fitness
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 40s
Overall Rank = 191/380
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at about 6:15 am to get marked and chipped. Set up transition area and chatted with my bike rack neighbors to kill time. Ate some dry cereal (thinking that I forgot my Baker's Breakfast Cookie at home, even though I actually didn't) and an orange. My mind was apparently fuzzy that day, because I *forgot* to put my race number on my race number belt. Duh! That added time to T2, of course.
Event warmup:

Walked around a lot to try to stay loose while waiting for my 10:30 start time (pros started at 8:05). About 20 minutes before race time, I got in the water and swam 150 yards or so, and stretched a bit.
Swim
  • 12m 46s
  • 700 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was pretty happy with this swim, especially since I did not wear a wetsuit. The water was really nice at 77.5 degrees F, and I was worried I'd overheat if I wore mine. I was really quite comfortable through this swim and passed a bunch of people.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim a little harder. I always say that, but then hold back a bit because I don't want to use up too much energy too early. I seriously need to figure out how to keep my goggles from fogging so badly, though.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

I'm really not sure why this transition took so long when I didn't even have to take a wetsuit off! I guess because the transition area was soooo huge. ??

Run faster in and out of transition. I'm always too worried about slipping.
Bike
  • 54m 32s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

During this ride, I was trying to see how long I could use the third chain ring because I knew the course was pretty flat. My cadence ended up being a little low because of this, and I ended up feeling it in my legs pretty badly by the end. I knew they would be more brick-like than normal for the run. I did actually pass a few people, which is always encouraging, including the woman I was using as my pace setter in the first part of the course.

Keep trying to figure out the right mix of gears and when to shift. I suppose this comes with time and experience. I have to concentrate on spinning at 95 rpm for the last few miles of the bike so quads are looser for the run
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Well, since I somehow managed to forget to put my race number on my race number belt when setting up my T area, I had to do it during this transition. That and the large size of the T area made for a pretty long transition.

Uh, the number belt thing...
Run
  • 33m 53s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

So given that it was approaching noon and getting hot by the time I started running, and that I was not spinning properly on the bike, this actually isn't a terrible run for me. (haha how sad! :) This is my third race, and I finally actually passed a few people on the run. (!)

Keep working on speed, of course, but otherwise, not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down ended up being walking because it took me almost 15 minutes of walking around to find my fiance and sister!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat due to late start time, and my usual slow running

Event comments:

Obviously this race is very popular. I'm really glad I did this race since this is the one I was watching on TV last year when I said, "Hey, I could do that!", but I'm not sure I'll do it next year. The organization was great given the size of the race, no doubt, but with 2,500 racers, and the spectators, vendors, tv crews, etc, it's kind of chaotic. I also personally had a tough time getting to Minneapolis the day before to get my race packet (which was mandatory), and wasn't crazy about having to kill 2.5 hours waiting for my start time (although it was cool watching the pros). So, maybe I'm just a smaller race kind of girl. Who knows; maybe I'll change my mind--we'll see! Either way, it was a good experience!

(Note, the 191/380 ranking is for females completing the sprint course. In my age group I was 45/89. Solidly MOP, I guess.)

Last updated: 2004-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:46 | 700 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/380
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangular course that was well marked and easy to follow.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:32 | 15 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Overall: 165/380
Wind: Some
Course: Scenic course aloong the river and had many, many volunteers controlling traffic. It was pretty flat overall, but had quite a few turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:53 | 03 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 298/380
Course: Nearly totally flat loop around Lake Nokomis. Very nice and scenic. Path was very crowded, but had plenty of water stations and volunteers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-20 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lifetime Fitness Triathlon

2004-07-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #38974

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Triathlon
Way to go Kelly!
I didn't think it was that hot.. Oh hang on though I wasn't running

Ian
2004-07-20 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Awesome job!  You really smoked the swim!
2004-07-20 11:50 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Wooo! It *was* a bit crowded, busy, and I didn't like waiting, but seeing the pro's going through was awsome.

I think I'd do this again next year, but I'll do the olympic distance next time. Get an earlier start, and I think push myself some more.

What is the distance on the swim? They said .4 mile, which is about 650m, so that's what I put. I've seen from 600-750 in a couple places.

Sorry didn't get to meet up with anyone, but it was nuts at the finish. :D

Great job!

-Chris
2004-07-20 12:13 PM
in reply to: #39024

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
650m and 700yds aren't too far apart, I don't think. I just took the 5280 feet in a mile and divided it by 3 to get yards, and then multipled that by 0.4.

5280 / 3 * 0.4 = 704 yds

I've heard everything from 2.8 to 3.1 for the run too, so I just used 3.0. Who knows!

Kelly
2004-07-20 3:29 PM

Mississauga, Ont
Good for you . Congrat. on a good race

2004-07-24 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Great job...I watched that race on TV...how fun to do a big race like that...congratulations.
Donna
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Triathlon Rss Feed