General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathle/Biathle Championships In Sarasota Florida, October 21st Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-09 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Triathle/Biathle Championships In Sarasota Florida, October 21st
Wasnt sure if this should be posted here or in another title..so my apologies if I got it wrong....

The Biathle/Triathle champ's are occuring late October in Florida. These are "sub sports" of the Modern Pentathlon...the Biathle is Run/Swim/Run and the Triathle is a Swim/Run/Shoot. (The shooting is 10m air (or laser) pistol at 4" target and 5 hits must be made or 50seconds max before continuing onto the next portion)

The sport is open to all, and very popular with kids and younger teens. Though its an international event, it doesnt bar us normal civilians from competing as well.

If your interested, or live locally in Florida and want to give it a try just get hold of your national Pentathlon Association and they can give you the specifics. Most organizations are fairly small and very open to new competitors! Since they are doing a Run/Swim/Run (Basically an Aquathon) figured some of us triathletes would be interested?

Here is the email I got (From the Canadian Association):

Have you heard of the sports of Biathle or Triathle? Biathle is a sub-sport of Modern Pentathlon and is a Run-Swim-Run competition. Triathle, also a sub-sport of Modern Pentathlon, is a Shoot-Swim-Run competition. If you are interested in developing your Modern Pentathlon skills, how about a trip to Florida?

From Bob Noble, World Masters Champion, and one of Canada's top Modern Pentathlon Coaches:

I am trying to get as many Canadian athletes down to this event in Sarasota, Florida. It's close to home, inexpensive to fly there and if we get enough participants we can rent a house and a van and have a great time!

I will do all the legwork as far as entries and house renting, etc. All I need is promotion through your mail out and names of athletes interested. We can compete individually in both run/swim/run and run/swim/shoot, and we can put relays in as well.

I think it will be a great event, especially for some of our younger athletes, as there are all youth divisions represented.

Any questions email me about this (as soon as possible)."

Thanks,
Bob
[email protected]

(unnamed.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
unnamed.jpg (122KB - 9 downloads)

2016-09-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Triathle/Biathle Championships In Sarasota Florida, October 21st
Some links that may help if your interested:

GENERAL information on the event, how to register (if your American), rates on hotels if needed, etc: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Modern-Pentathlon/Features/2016/Septembe...

Pentathlon Canada (For Canadians): http://pentathloncanada.ca/

Anyone interested internationally that would want to search out how to register to go: http://www.uipmworld.org/

Edited by TheCrownsOwn 2016-09-09 10:13 AM
2016-09-10 10:03 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Hmmm, former military guy, can run, swim, and shoot OK, and gonna be in Florida that week already. Tell me about the laser pistols. Do you have to bring your own, or are they furnished by the organizers?
2016-09-10 11:34 AM
in reply to: #5198176

Sarasota, Florida
And the horse? Sounds like a lot of fun to watch.
2016-09-10 6:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would be VERY into a run/swim/run race (shooting and horses, not so much). Actually am a pretty good shot but chances for practice here (legally) would be nill. Unfortunately the Florida race date doesn't work for me, nor can I access the website. For some reason it says my ISP will not allow me to access the server. Run and swim are my strengths/passions; I put up with the bike. Do you have any other resources to find out about races, particularly in the Asia/Pacific region?

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-09-10 6:21 PM
2016-09-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by gary p

Hmmm, former military guy, can run, swim, and shoot OK, and gonna be in Florida that week already. Tell me about the laser pistols. Do you have to bring your own, or are they furnished by the organizers?

Typically for events like this they always provide the pistol because a)They are trying to garner interest in the sport and b)They are expensive and no one buys them unless they are a serious competitor and knows they are sticking with the sport. The air pistols are being phased out and opting for the new Laser pistols (That is a long and controversial story in and of itself...) So not everyone owns a laser pistol yet. They fire exactly the same as an air pistol...but no projectile.

If you want to do the triathle, the American contact is:
[email protected]

They can ensure there is a laser pistol reserved for your use at the competition.

Word of warning.. I thought I was a good shot with a .22 pistol...and then I tried Pentathlon...which was 3x800m running with 5 targets @ 10m or 50 seconds max inbetween... It was tough trying to aim with your heart beat racing.... but lots of fun!!

2016-09-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by runtim23

And the horse? Sounds like a lot of fun to watch.

The horse is part of the Modern Pentathlon, and not a biathle or triathle so no show jumping at this competition. But yeah...its amazing to see the caliber of equestrians at Modern Pentathlon events.

In Canada (I think America as well) the equestrian portion is "optional" for masters competitors (over the age of 30). So you can compete in a modern pentathlon for the Swimming, Fencing, and Run/Shoot combination while not having to compete in show jumping.

2016-09-12 8:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I would be VERY into a run/swim/run race (shooting and horses, not so much). Actually am a pretty good shot but chances for practice here (legally) would be nill. Unfortunately the Florida race date doesn't work for me, nor can I access the website. For some reason it says my ISP will not allow me to access the server. Run and swim are my strengths/passions; I put up with the bike. Do you have any other resources to find out about races, particularly in the Asia/Pacific region?

I'm not familiar with your region..but if you click on this link, it will give a map, and you just click on your region to find the National or Regional Federation where you are and you can contact them directly:

http://www.uipmworld.org/member-federations

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathle/Biathle Championships In Sarasota Florida, October 21st Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Inaugural Toughman Florida Half and Tough Kids Florida

Started by Ron
Views: 1572 Posts: 2

2015-02-20 8:49 AM cannedham1

Events in Florida in October 11 ?

Started by Tiesim
Views: 810 Posts: 5

2010-11-03 2:23 PM ditchdoc

IM Florida and the 70.3 Championships a week apart

Started by TriBodyboarder
Views: 1147 Posts: 8

2006-05-05 1:29 PM TriBodyboarder

Tri Shops in Sarasota, FL?

Started by Tri-Island
Views: 681 Posts: 2

2005-02-14 8:37 AM ASA22

Sunday Nov. 21st

Started by dfcovell
Views: 969 Posts: 15

2004-11-21 10:44 PM ChrisM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!