http://www.shorelinesharks.com/Events/Gulf_Beach_Half_Marathon.htm
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 38s
Overall Rank = 28/970
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/46
Pre-race routine:

My first race since my Ironman four weeks prior. I'm not sure I was fully recovered from the IM, and I certainly wasn't in top HM racing shape, having done very little running at HM speed the past few months. I was treating this race as a fitness test to see where I am for my marathon in three weeks. With an 8:00 race start and an hour drive to get there, I was up at 5:00 for a pb&j sandwich and cup of coffee. Got to the race in plenty of time for a one mile warm up jog and a couple of portapotty trips.
Event warmup:

One mile of light jogging with a few strides mixed in. I lined up near the front of the field 10 minutes before starting time. The race started right at 8:00.
Run
  • 1h 33m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first run-only race since April. Coming off a summer of Ironman training, I really had no idea where my HM fitness was. I knew I was not in PR shape (1:30). With a marathon in three weeks and a BQ time of 3:25, I was hoping to run this HM under 1:35 because that would tell me a 3:20 marathon was doable. So I set out to try to run a steady 7:15 pace and pick it up the last few miles if I could.

I felt good for the first 4-5 miles. The effort was sustainable, but I also knew I hadn't run any consistent HM miles in training so I was trying to stay in control. A couple of miles were a little fast, but nothing too crazy. I hit the turnaround at mile 6.5 feeling good. I started to get tired right on schedule around mile 8. I tried to pick up the effort but I could not. I was feeling good, but I just could not dial up the effort to that next gear, and my pace started to slip a little the last few miles. I was tired but I was not pushing myself into the suffer zone like I know I can. I was able to pick up the effort a little bit in the last mile, mostly to lose the guy I had been leap frogging the entire race (I beat him by 30 seconds). I was happy when I first saw the finish clock and it was at 1:33. I was tired and sore when I finished, but I actually felt pretty good, and very happy to know that a BQ marathon is very much in my wheelhouse.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. I just felt very rusty, but only racing will get rid of that. I am looking forward to some fast running in training to get my running legs back. All things considered, this was a pretty good race for me, being just three minutes off my PR from earlier this year when I was in peak running shape. I'll take the 1:33. Last year at this time I ran a 1:37, then a 3:26 marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

I sat on my butt and talked to some fellow racers, then went out for breakfast with DW and a friend who did the race. I ran 5 more miles later in the day to give me 19 for the day, because marathon training.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rustiness, Ironman training, warm temperatures.

Event comments:

A Shoreline Sharks race, and those are always well run and well organized. It's a race for runners. Not a huge party atmosphere nor a lot going on after the race. Show up, race, go home with a shirt and medal. I always do one or two of their races every year and am always satisfied.

Last updated: 2016-09-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:38 | 13.1 miles | 07m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/46
Overall: 28/970
Performance: Good
Course: The course is flat with a couple of inclines not significant enough to call hills. It's mostly an out and back course along the Connecticut shoreline, and part of it is right on the boardwalk. Roads were open to traffic and there was definitely some car dodging during the race, which I feel just adds to the fun. Not enough cars though to be much of an issue...just light Saturday morning traffic. Wind could be a major factor in this race, but there was no wind on this day.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-22 8:47 AM

User image

Subject: Gulf Beach Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gulf Coast Half Marathon- Mandeville

Started by rebersole2
Views: 934 Posts: 1

2015-10-18 1:24 PM rebersole2

Marathon Of The Palm Beaches - Half Marathon

Started by scottuf
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2010-10-29 2:03 PM scottuf

Gulf Coast Half Marathon

Started by lmihalcik
Views: 1197 Posts: 1

2010-04-11 11:57 AM lmihalcik

Marathon of the Palm Beaches Half Marathon

Started by IRONDOGUSA
Views: 827 Posts: 1

2007-12-02 7:52 PM IRONDOGUSA

Florida Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon

Started by Betsy
Views: 551 Posts: 5

2006-12-14 3:36 PM annabananamc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : June 15, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
I just ran the Boston Marathon under nine minute miles, can I run eight minute miles for my half Ironman training runs? Or should I go slower?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.