https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6o1X_8J-IMsTVp4OGFXQVNlb00/view
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 53s
Overall Rank = 33/77
Age Group = F30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Had normal breakfast smoothie and drank most of a water bottle with electrolytes on the way over. Probably too much liquid, but I was able to get rid of most of it before the race.
Event warmup:

Jeff and I actually did a substantial warm-up, running a little over a mile on trails near the race start. Then I stretched and bounced around a bit.
Run
  • 27m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was awesome. I knew I was in shape to run a PR 5K this fall, but I didn't think this would be the one, since I haven't kept up a particularly rigorous workout regimen lately - in fact, this was only my third workout of the week and the second one was a casual bike ride. I warmed up well, though, and went out pretty hard. Jeff stayed just behind me and paced me by calling out the splits on his iPhone. I knew I had to stay under 9:00/mile pace in order to get a PR - I assumed I'd die a little during the third mile. We started out at a 8:30 pace and gradually slowed to around an 8:50 pace. I felt like it was at the top of what I could maintain while keeping my breathing and heart rate in control, but still manageable. Just around the second mile marker, though, everything tightened up a bit and it got harder to run. I was still able to push through and even increase speed slightly, but my breathing gradually got out of control. When we turned down the hill for the last third of a mile, I felt like I was having trouble keeping myself from wheezing (that same kind of wheeze that plagued the end of my runs last summer). By the last tenth of a mile, the wheeze was not just audible but really loud. I turned the corner toward the finish chute and absolutely cranked it (my running gait was suddenly gazelle-like) to sprint through the finish. Afterward, I had to walk around for several minutes before my throat relaxed and the wheeze wasn't audible (took a good three or four minutes before it was gone). We got some food and water then walked around the site for fifteen or twenty minutes until awards happened to cool down. I felt like I needed a lot of cool down time. Physically, I felt pretty good after the finish - and the sprint felt good as well - I was just concerned about the breathing issues.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It went beautifully. I just need to start training at closer to that race pace, at least occasionally. A heart rate monitor would help with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for fifteen or twenty minutes. Ate some David Bradley chocolate (!), a few munchkins, and half a bagel with cream cheese. Didn't drink enough water (and only one water station on the course, so possibly under-hydrated by the finish).

My lower back was really bothering me that afternoon and over the next few days. At my weekly chiropractor appointment, Dr. Aryn said that I hyperextended it, probably from leaning back slightly while pushing to run so hard. He said I need to focus on keeping my hips under me while sprinting to prevent this.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training volume has decreased and I don't think even my fast running pace is normally this fast. But it's a lifetime PR, so this is pretty nit picky.

Event comments:

This was a well-run local race with a great community feel. The atmosphere after the race was picnic-like, so I didn't mind hanging around waiting for awards and raffles. I wish I'd won one of those pie raffles, though!

Last updated: 2016-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:53 | 03.11 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 33/77
Performance: Good
Course: Course on paved roads through slightly rolling local neighborhoods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-11-01 11:17 AM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Tomm May 5k

2016-11-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5203646

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Tomm May 5k
Way to go nice PR! Missed this race this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tomm May 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Get Fit in May 5K

Started by peregrinesgirl
Views: 617 Posts: 1

2011-05-21 1:35 PM peregrinesgirl

Tomm May 5k

Started by colesdad
Views: 999 Posts: 4

2009-10-20 7:50 PM Sammeg

GunnAllen Financial May Classic 5K

Started by F150TPA
Views: 919 Posts: 11

2006-05-08 9:21 AM Lucy

Xmas in May 5k

Started by chuckwagon
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2006-05-02 10:56 PM chuckwagon

4th Annual Sun Bowl 5k Run & Walk 5k Run

Started by Lasersaw
Views: 1848 Posts: 1

2005-12-31 9:19 PM Lasersaw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.
date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.