General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Tri advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-11-13 8:02 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Winter Tri advice needed

I'm going to be doing the HITS Palms Springs 70.3 in December.  Average lows are in the 40's, and the water temp is likely to be in the 50's.  The swim is no big deal, just like swimming in the Pacific in the summer here in the SF area.  The advice I need is for the bike after that swim when the air temp will be lower 50's at best, but getting up to mid 60's by the end.  My current thinking is to wear a sleeved tri-top, throw on some arm warmers I can toss at the appropriate time, and a windproof vest I can take off and stuff in my shirt once it warms up enough.  The idea is to minimize time in T1 and T2 with clothing changes.  Make sense or do you have better suggestions?

2016-11-13 8:47 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Winter Tri advice needed
You have some good ideas and are correct that the bike wind chill may be a bit cool to start but after 20 minutes, should be fine. I find that my pain tolerance for temps in races, is that I can handle usually about 10 degrees colder with the same gear/covering due to the heat generated at 'race pace'. Early season races in Georgia, this is what I would add or consider:

Leave toe covers on my tri shoes (not full booties).
Consider throwing on thin running socks which is <10 seconds in T1.
If sub-50, cheap gardening gloves 1-2 sizes big, easy to slip on for wind chill and pitch at the first or second bottle drop zone, if they have one.
2016-11-17 10:07 PM
in reply to: Mc Q

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Thanks for the feedback and advice.  Fortunately we are having a cold snap right now that fairly closely mimics what I expect on race day, so tomorrow I'll be able to try this out.  I do have full finger gloves I was planning on wearing which should serve the same purpose as the gardening gloves you mention, and I've used them when temps have risen up into the 60's before with no issue.  I think for the test run tomorrow, I'll skip the getting wet first part and see how it is dry.  My top is a full zip so can choose to put that on in T1 without too much of a time loss if necessary.

2016-11-19 11:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My background is Norwegian so I'm probably not the best person to reply. At 50 degrees I'd just go, "Ugh, it's cold" and wear a single layer long sleeve jersey.

Where I live the temperature extremes are pretty high. It's amazing to think that between 60 and 120 degrees I don't have to make any changes to what I wear.

50 - 60 I usually have to have long sleeves.

40 - 50 I have to have a second layer and gloves.

32 - 40 I will probably not ride, but if I do I have two layers plus a wind breaker and something to cover my legs. Gloves obviously and it's nice to have shoe covers.

On rare occasion below 32 I wear my ski clothes.

We had a triathlon once where it was 31 degrees and slight snow. I came out of the pool. I did not get the message that you could change indoors. I think it was the fastest T1 I've ever had.
2016-11-20 12:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Similar temps at IM Calgary 70.3 this past summer. I had put a long-sleeved shirt at my T1 spot (actually a surf shirt with a partial front zipper--I like it for cool races and rides since it goes on well when I'm wet, fits snugly, has sun protection fabric, and I can pull down the zip and push up the sleeves when I get warm), but I was in a nice warm sunbeam in T1 and decided I didn't need it. It was 51 at the time according to my Garmin. I'm skinny and live most of the year in the tropics; you'd have to look hard to find someone wimpier about cold than I am. I was shivering for probably the first 12-15 miles of the bike (into a cold headwind) and cursing that decision! But I did survive and in fact did my best bike split, despite it being a hilly course at altitude with a net elevation gain. So, layers not strictly necessary above 50, if you don't mind a little shivering. Otherwise, I'd guess you'd be fine with just the arm warmers, unless it's super windy. But be forewarned that they can be hard to get on when you are wet. If the water is cold, that can affect your dexterity. Even with water in the low 60's, my hands are pretty much useless when I come out of the water (thank goodness they had wetsuit strippers at Calgary). I find the surf shirt a lot easier to handle.
2016-11-20 4:01 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

The race is close enough now that I can start looking at the extended forecasts.  I did, and wished I hadn't.  Weather.com calls for 43 degrees, Accuweather calls for 34 degrees.  I did my ride in 50 degree weather this morning and was fine with just full finger gloves and arm warmers, but if Accuweather turns out to be correct, T1 time becomes longer out of necessity as that'll mean layers.  This is the first race where I've had to worry about cold as opposed to hot weather and it is interesting.  During my ride today I found I took in a lot less water, probably too little, due to the cool temps.  Will have to be diligent in that respect come race day.  At least it isn't supposed to be raining

2016-11-20 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh--yep, 43 is a different animal, especially coming out of cold water. And 43 and raining just sucks. Have done the latter, but I have to admit that I switched to the du for that one. I had tried to do a practice swim and transition the day before in similar conditions, but it (really) took me 23 minutes to get out of the wetsuit (no strippers there) and onto the bike, and I still was shivering so hard I wasn't sure I could handle the bike safely. I would definitely go for the extra layers with temps in the 40's. In the mid to high 40's, I'd go with a merino wool pullover with a partial zip. Any lower and it would be an insulated jersey. One trick I found helps--keep your swim cap on till the last moment in transition (when you put on your helmet). Especially if you have a neoprene cap under your race cap for the swim, that will help keep you feeling warmer while you get the wetsuit off and bike stuff on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter Tri advice needed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winter Cycling Plan advice needed.

Started by leftrunner
Views: 1265 Posts: 8

2013-11-09 6:10 AM leftrunner

1st Sprint Tri need advice

Started by wdsae
Views: 884 Posts: 8

2006-04-13 7:24 PM mauisurfchick

FIRST TRI, NEED ADVICE...

Started by jamietemple
Views: 959 Posts: 11

2005-07-23 9:34 PM us50090

FIRST TRI, NEED ADVICE

Started by jamietemple
Views: 791 Posts: 1

2005-07-22 11:10 PM jamietemple

Need advice for first Tri on Sun.

Started by ridinfences
Views: 713 Posts: 4

2004-09-30 10:22 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?