General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse Approval Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-12-02 4:25 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

Regular
Corona
Subject: RE: Spouse Approval
My wife and I started competing together so the support system was built in from the get go. She has known of my desire to do an IM before the kids' lives take over ours for years. When the opportunity presented itself and we talked about training schedules and overall cost involved she was into it. I was nervous about a fade in support as time went on but it never happened. We communicated about workouts and expectations constantly. She kept me accountable and focused on the end goal. I am a lucky man to have the wife I do.

I also started working my long runs and rides into "Hey, why don't you meet me in San Diego (about 90 miles away from me) and we will spend the day at the beach" or "I'll run down to XYZ Store and you pick me up there and we will do our grocery shopping". Even the kids got into it. They would drive by and cheer me on or my son would ride his bike with me on my runs between 5-10 miles.

By the time race day for IMAZ came around last year my 2 kids (5 & 3) helped me with my bike, my gear, check in, and anything else you can think of. They took ownership of the experience and loved it. They picked up that I was training for something big and we included them in it and they enjoyed every minute of it. I'm all about not taking time away from family time especially when logging those big weeks and training during "your time" not "their time", but also look at including them in the process. I think it helped in my case and my kids still talk about it.

2016-12-02 8:30 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Personally, I wouldn't sign up for an IM without my wife's support or approval. Training for an IM takes a lot of time and money and I wouldn't feel right about committing to a race without her "blessing."
2016-12-03 7:15 AM

, Wisconsin
Heck, I don't sign up for a Sprint without my wife's approval. Actually, she supports me 100%, but still need to make sure the date/location is going to fit into our overall schedule.
2016-12-03 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
No. I wouldn't go there.

I wouldn't have enjoyed doing an Ironman as much if my wife, kids, parents, friends weren't on board to support me through training and race day. If you get the approval, I would go for it, and afterward I'd recommend taking a break from the longer stuff for a bit. Commit to trying some different things that don't take up as much of your time and/ or can be done as a family. Paddleboarding and Yoga (though not at the same time) are two things that I've discovered since doing an IM that I really enjoy!
2016-12-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: #5206560

Well, you all are very fortunate. My wife has watched as I've trained over the last couple years, but we've come to an impasse. I'm ready to sign up for IM next year, but she is against it. She thinks I'll hurt myself. She's run multiple marathons, and supported me through my HIM and first marathon this year, and apparently draws the line there. I'm still intending to do it, but it has become an elephant in the room of which we do not talk of. I'm hoping over the next month I can get her on board, but a tough time indeed.

Wish me luck.
2016-12-07 2:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Haha spot on. Worked for me

2016-12-12 1:03 PM
in reply to: linkslefty

User image

My wife dragged me into this whole stupid thing.
2016-12-13 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5206805

Sarasota, Florida
Well my wife calculates all of my free time as belonging to her, so i obviously do a lot without approval. I dont feel the need to spend four hours a day plus all hours of the weekend. I think my feeling of fulfillment of an hour or two a day with a day on the weekend is reasonable but i also plan a weekend trip every couple of months to just disappear for a day or two. I don't feel like im living life to be stuck by their side all the time, especially since my wife isnt active. I'd go crazy but an IM with a full time job would be too much for me and my family. If i were to do it, it would be a once in a life time thing and i would miss them for those months of training.
2016-12-13 8:37 PM

User image

No. Something that would affect both our lives that much, I'd definitely make sure she was on board.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse Approval Rss Feed  

of 2