General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-09-12 5:57 AM
in reply to: #535530

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Subject: RE: Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10
Morning everyone! Are we ready for Tuesday?

2006-09-12 6:03 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Good morning Michelle! I am SO READY for Tuesday...just trying to decide between swim or bike today. I've got a race Saturday, so I'm trying to front load my workouts and take a couple days off before the race.

Hey, I LOVE your new avatar!

And, reporting in, I fixed DH and I a recipe I had from eDiets last night which was yummy! Tonight might be harder because I have my book club dinner with the girls. We're going to an oriental place and I will eat mostly sushi I think with some hot & sour soup. Try to stay away from the kung pao chicken and desert tray. Spend my time talking more, eating less....

Wakey wakey...(or for our non-north americans, GOOD AFTERNOON/EVENING!)

Annabanana
2006-09-12 7:15 AM

Wisconsin
Nice job everyone, but I'm sorry to say that I am bowing out of the tri'umphant losers support group. For some reason, I have no motivation whatsoever, and it was all lost this past weekend. Thanks for the support of all of you and good luck with everything you all do!!
2006-09-12 7:19 AM
in reply to: #537406

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
lovetotri - 2006-09-12 7:15 AM

Nice job everyone, but I'm sorry to say that I am bowing out of the tri'umphant losers support group. For some reason, I have no motivation whatsoever, and it was all lost this past weekend. Thanks for the support of all of you and good luck with everything you all do!!

Hey! You know what, it is okay to give yourself permission to maintain for a while if your life is not set up for you to lose. That's different than giving up totally. If you had a bad weekend, dust off and move on. You are allowed to have bad days. If you can go from 200 bad days a year to 100, that's huge progress.
2006-09-12 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Today is Tuesday and I can't wait for Friday to get here so I can get this surgery "thing" over with.  I had a serious issue last night with hungar.  They have moved me up to about 900 cal a day and I am better but still having episodes of real hungar and I'm sure low blood sugar.  This pre-op diet is tough.  I want to get back to the pool but my coach says only walking for now since I will burn too many calories!!  So, that's where I am today!

Well, it looks like everyone is doing great and this group is really getting a strong start!  Thanks again to Kathy for this wonderful idea!!

2006-09-12 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Adam (lovetotri) - are you sure you don't want to keep hanging out with us for a while, it's not like the rest of us are perfect or anything (far from it!). We're all going to have up days and down days (and up weeks and down weeks, too!)? And when you're down it is so nice to have friends there to help get you through...

You don't have to make a quick decision, your motivation may return if you just hang in there a bit longer -- maybe change your goals a bit and give yourself permission to relax a little?

I certainly wish you all the best no matter what!

Edited by TBZ 2006-09-12 7:55 AM

2006-09-12 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
Happy Tuesday, everyone!

OLIVEVIEW- best wishes with your surgery, and it will be interesting to hear about your experiences with it.

LOVETOTRI- I know that we have probably all felt the way that you do right now, and will probably feel that way again... hang in there, be gentle on yourself, and don't feel as if you need to quit our group just because you are going through a tough time right now. Weakness is okay!

2006-09-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: #537453

User image

Master
oliveview - 2006-09-12 8:48 AM

Today is Tuesday and I can't wait for Friday to get here so I can get this surgery "thing" over with.  I had a serious issue last night with hungar.  They have moved me up to about 900 cal a day and I am better but still having episodes of real hungar and I'm sure low blood sugar.  This pre-op diet is tough.  I want to get back to the pool but my coach says only walking for now since I will burn too many calories!!  So, that's where I am today!

Well, it looks like everyone is doing great and this group is really getting a strong start!  Thanks again to Kathy for this wonderful idea!!

Hang in there Sherri! Between the stress of waiting for the surgery and that pre-op diet (900 calories, eek! I'd be starving, too!) I can imagine you are going crazy! Just a couple more days and you'll be on a new road!

What does the post surgery diet look like? Do the calories come up a bit?
2006-09-12 8:02 AM

Regular
I need to read the fine print more. You mean I have to keep doing this every day? I am ready for Day Two, though. Some highlights from yesterday, to brighten your day. First, the swim. Of course, I forgot my goggles and the chlorine level was high enough to bleach out my swim suit. And then there was the swim team practice for 12 year olds, who were occasionally shaking their heads and, understandably smiling, and their mother's looking on to make sure I was not some pervert (I'm sure the heavy breathing didn't help). Then there was the run. I took it outside, since it was a nice day. And I managed to continue my running pace for the entire time. Althoug to call it running would be a stretch. At one point, I came up to some pigeons on the sidewalk. I am sure that it was because I was moving so slowly that they didn't even move. I'm sure today will be better.

John
2006-09-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #537406

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

hey there everyone

i'm so NOT ready for tuesday... lol i feel tired and hungry... but at least the weather is great and i won't die tonight.. hopefully.. according to my plan i'm adding 3 minutes of running tonight and that means i have 3 minutes less to get my heartrate down and air in my lunges... we'll see how that'll work...

lovetotri... don't give up...  we all go through rough times and that's exactly what this group is for... of course it's more fun to tell the others how great things are going right now, but more important is that we're all here for one another when someone's going through times like you are right now...

so i hope to hear from you again here
~Kathie

2006-09-12 8:10 AM
in reply to: #537466

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hang in there Sherri! Between the stress of waiting for the surgery and that pre-op diet (900 calories, eek! I'd be starving, too!) I can imagine you are going crazy! Just a couple more days and you'll be on a new road! What does the post surgery diet look like? Do the calories come up a bit?

Oh, don't get me wrong...I am soooo excited about all of this!  It really is the first time that I have been hopeful in a really long time!!  I am just ready to get on with it!!  After surgery I will work my way up to about 1200 cal/day.  I do much better on that and can even work out!!  The first 2 weeks post-op will be walking and then I will be able to get back to swimming (yeah!)!

2006-09-12 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities
John,
Your description of your swim really made me smile - if I wasn't in the middle of an airport crowd, I probably would have been laughing outload!

Good luck with your training today!
2006-09-12 8:16 AM

Regular
Adam -

Good luck working through whatever is going on in your life right now. Try to remember that this is a support group, period. So if you get anything at all out of posting here, or even just reading the posts, I would evcourage you to stay involved. You never know how you might feel tomorrow.

John
2006-09-12 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
John, you have taken the first step on an amazing journey!  Your post made me LOL but a month or a year from now you aren't going to believe how far you've come and the courage that it just took to start.  It's all about starting...each and every day...starting everyday and going.  Each day you start is easier than the day before...courage builds on courage, strength on strength, success on success.  You have proven to us but more importantly to yourself, that you are a man of courage, strength and success.  Now just believe that today will be better!!
2006-09-12 8:26 AM
in reply to: #537477

User image

Master
jph35609 - 2006-09-12 9:02 AM

I need to read the fine print more. You mean I have to keep doing this every day? I am ready for Day Two, though. Some highlights from yesterday, to brighten your day. First, the swim. Of course, I forgot my goggles and the chlorine level was high enough to bleach out my swim suit. And then there was the swim team practice for 12 year olds, who were occasionally shaking their heads and, understandably smiling, and their mother's looking on to make sure I was not some pervert (I'm sure the heavy breathing didn't help). Then there was the run. I took it outside, since it was a nice day. And I managed to continue my running pace for the entire time. Althoug to call it running would be a stretch. At one point, I came up to some pigeons on the sidewalk. I am sure that it was because I was moving so slowly that they didn't even move. I'm sure today will be better.

John

Very funny, John! I feel the same way when I swim while the youth teams practice -- I feel like such a total dork! Unfortunately, I don't feel any less dorky when the masters swimmers are in the pool either -- talk about intimidation!

But we all start somewhere, right?! Pretty soon you'll be scaring the s*** outta the pigeons!
2006-09-12 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Good morning LOSERS! Rest day for me today, so I've got to watch the calories. My period just started too, so the chocolate and salty cravings are especially bad. The good news is  I usually drop a few pounds when my period is over (probably from water retention) so that will be good.

Sorry if its TMI for the guys- I know Joshua is used to it, though!

O- good luck with the surgery- 900 calories is very HARD! But your new life starts on Friday!

To all here- thanks for the inspires- as soon as my audit is over, I'll be able to spread the love around to a few more!

2006-09-12 8:46 AM

Regular
John:

Keep in there. During the winter, the oly pool in town belongs to the college. I'm not looking forward to the intimidation of college kids mistaking me for a pull buoy. I haven't even begun to run yet (just walking), I tried a little jog last night and it felt awful. Completely jarring, like I was trying to run with a packpack full of stuff on my back.

Todays plan: Some core training and a 55 minute ride on the trainer. I figure once I get my aerobic base up, I can start to work on spin, speed and power. Watching my weight bounce around the mid 330's is no fun. I'm planning on starting a food journal for a while and see where I'm adding the calories.

Looks like everyone is doing great.
2006-09-12 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
If you want a good food journal program, I've been using DietPower for about 3 years. It has a big food database and you can add your own stuff. Plus, it tracks your actual metabolism based on food+activity and weight. That for me encourages me to be complete in my logging, because if I am not, it shows my metabolism dropping to like 900 calories a day, and we all know we burn more than that!

Speaking of 900 cals a day - SHerri I am so excited for you! I'll be thinking of you on Friday, and looking forward to hearing all about it afterwards. Are you still planning to come to Orlando for the race 9/24? (seems like you were, I may be halucinating).

Everyone - this is for the long haul, good and bad...I won't begin to tell you about Sunday except to say 1/2 stick of butter in my serving of DHs homemade shrimp scampi and garlic bread...argh! At least we had wine instead of margaritas eh? Today is a new day...new opportunity for good choices.

ooops, DietPower is dietpower.com

Edited by annabananamc 2006-09-12 8:59 AM
2006-09-12 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Word on the kiddie swim team intimidation. Three years ago, I started adult swim lessons, and I could barely do a length. The swim team kids were sweet, but it's a downer hearing a kid say "nice job, lady" while lapping you with a kickboard. I prefer adult lap swim - I'm often the fastest one there.

My body is definitely sending me the "why aren't you feeding me?" signals really hard. Hopefully, after a week or so of fewer than 10 hours of cardio, it will realize it doesn't need to be fed so much.
2006-09-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: #537453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
Just hang in there a few more days. I've just had some surgery a few weeks ago and I know that the days before the surgery are the hardest because you are just sitting and waiting. While the recovery may be hard, at least you feel like your making some progress. I hope everything goes well.

Scott
2006-09-12 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Munich, Germany

yeah sherry good luck for the surgery!!

but i'm wondering how many calories you all eat, if you say you'd starve from a 900cal diet... i hardly ever eat over 800... i only come close to 1000 on workout days.... am i weird? and to answer the question... no.. i'm not trying to starve myself and i always eat when i'm hungry... just try to stay away from chips and chocolate... hmmmm... chocolate... *drool* lol  

2006-09-12 9:55 AM
in reply to: #537680

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
kathie - 2006-09-12 9:42 AM

yeah sherry good luck for the surgery!!

but i'm wondering how many calories you all eat, if you say you'd starve from a 900cal diet... i hardly ever eat over 800... i only come close to 1000 on workout days.... am i weird? and to answer the question... no.. i'm not trying to starve myself and i always eat when i'm hungry... just try to stay away from chips and chocolate... hmmmm... chocolate... *drool* lol  

Honestly, if you're not hungry eating that little, I'd check your math (using measuring cups and a food scale to check the serving sizes).
2006-09-12 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all-

Love the stories on the kiddie swim intimidation . . . brightened my otherwise dark (not just a figure of speech day).

So, I'm a little overwhelmed at work & under much stress, I'm hardly sleeping (some might say burning the candle at both ends...I'm a little too old for this little sleep), and my healthy eating has suffered a bit. I go to work this morning and within the first 30 minutes, we lose power. No storm, no nothing - just no power. Fine, I have to get my work done & I need to use the Internet to do it, and the wireless (without power) is not surprisingly down. I leave work.

I'm sitting here in a shopping mall food court (free wireless ) but unfortunately, between the stress and the alluring smell of fat, I have eaten all of my calories for today and possibly some for tomorrow, and it's not technically even lunch time yet.

Please send me some good vibes. I'm hoping to go to the gym later this afternoon for some strength training and maybe a spin on the bikes - although I'm dead tired and skipped yesterday for that.

Sorry for my pathetic ramble. Keep the funny stories coming.

ES
2006-09-12 10:07 AM

User image

Master
That was not a "pathetic ramble" ES! I couldn't spend 2 minutes in a food court right now, I know I'd give in and eat way too much junk! I'm sending you positive vibes right now!
2006-09-12 10:11 AM

Regular
ES,

The food court at a mall must be just outside the gates of hell. Maybe we should all have sponsors to call or something. Don't beat yourself up, it is what it is, tomorrow is a new day, (insert cliche here). Consider today an archealogical expedition into your past, with fries and a shake. Enjoy your workout later.

John

Edited by jph35609 2006-09-12 10:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri'umphant Losers - Support Thread starting 9/10 Rss Feed  

of 5