BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 22
 
 
2016-12-28 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed

Mentor: Chris

Story:

Welcome to the Dominion! This will be year 4, and we have a dedicated group of returning members and are always ready to welcome new members as well. 2017 will be my 6th year of racing tri's. I have a training philosophy of balance and consistency. I coach part-time with a focus on beginner athletes at the Sprint and Olympic distances. This year I plan to compete in both the Georgia Endurance Series and Set-up Events South Carolina Triathlon Series. That will mean a 9 race commitment in total, including one Half Ironman. Add in a half marathon in February and a local 5k series and it means a very busy 2017 season for me!

I check the BT site and our group almost daily and try to reply to questions and topics within 24 hours. Many others within the group do so as well. If you're   looking to get started in this sport or improve your results at the Sprint and/or Olympic distance than this might be the group for you. All levels from 1st timers to seasoned ironman finishers are welcome!

 

What will make me a good mentor:

I have a true passion for this sport and for a healthy and active lifestyle.  I am willing and interested in helping anyone looking to get into triathlon or those already competing who want to step their game up and be more competitive.    Along with my racing experience, I am a Certified Fitness Trainer.  I don't claim to know it all, but I feel I have been doing this long enough and well enough to be able to answer questions and help others improve in the sport, get started in the sport, or just improve in the areas of health and fitness.

If you would like to join, please post a brief bio with your name, any endurance sport experience you may have, and what your goals are for 2017.

I look forward to some new faces as well as many returning members this year!





Edited by Dominion 2017-01-17 8:08 AM


2017-01-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: Dominion


1

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Hi Chris, I thought I would ask if you thought your group would be a good fit for me or if you could recommend another. I'm 55 and have not attempted anything athletic in quite awhile. I'm looking at Triathlon training as a more fun way to loose weight. I do have basic running, cycling and swimming skills. Thanks Roy
2017-01-01 5:34 PM
in reply to: 0


44
25
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Hi Chris, I would like to join the group. I've recently took interest in doing triathlons and plan to complete several sprint and possibly an Olympic triathlon this season.

Brief Bio: My name is Kurtis. I took up running during grad school around 3 or so years ago. To this point my background is mainly in running. I have completed several 5k and 10ks over the past 3 years. This past season I PR'd in the 10k by over 2 minutes with a time of 45:10. This past June I started to consider picking up triathlon so I bought a lower tier road bike so I could at least stay competitive in races. Over the next several months i focused on running and biking while I tried to find a local affordable pool option that i could use for swimming. In November, I got access to a pool and have been swimming 3 times a week since. Swimming is by far my weak point, as I have never really swam with my head under water until about a month ago. To illustrate this my friends talked me into doing my first sprint Triathlon in late October on a whim, with no swim training. The swim was a 200m swim in an indoor pool and I was 82nd of 92 people coming out of the water. I passed a ton of people on the bike and had the 18th best bike time. I continued to pass several people on the run (7th best run time) and finished in 16th place. Side note: I carried my helmet for the first mile and a half because i forgot to take it off in the 2nd transition and refused to take it back. I have improved with swimming over the last month but still have a long way to go.

Goals: I hope over the next year I can improve my swimming to a level that allow me to be more competitive. I also have some room to improve in cycling as I averaged about 18 mph during the race. By making these improvements I hope to be competitive in my age group.


Weight goals: I am 6'2, 190 lbs so I'm hoping to cut down 10-15 pounds before the season.

I hope to gain knowledge from the group, especially those who are more experienced. Also I believe being in a group will help hold me accountable to my training, so that I can accomplish my goals.

Edited by Time2TriHard 2017-01-01 5:38 PM
2017-01-01 8:37 PM
in reply to: Roys

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by Roys Hi Chris, I thought I would ask if you thought your group would be a good fit for me or if you could recommend another. I'm 55 and have not attempted anything athletic in quite awhile. I'm looking at Triathlon training as a more fun way to loose weight. I do have basic running, cycling and swimming skills. Thanks Roy

Hi Roy. Welcome to the group. I think you will be a great fit here. We have had several members over the past years start out exactly where you are. The key is to stick with it and remain consistent. If your just getting active again, remember the workouts should start out really easy. It's about creating good habits, not killing yourself. I'd encourage you to log all of your workouts here on the BT training log. That way myself and other group members can check on your progress, and offer any advice or encouragements. Feel free to ask any questions you have or bring up any topics you would like discussed. 

2017-01-01 9:04 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Hi Chris, I would like to join the group. I've recently took interest in doing triathlons and plan to complete several sprint and possibly an Olympic triathlon this season. Brief Bio: My name is Kurtis. I took up running during grad school around 3 or so years ago. To this point my background is mainly in running. I have completed several 5k and 10ks over the past 3 years. This past season I PR'd in the 10k by over 2 minutes with a time of 45:10. This past June I started to consider picking up triathlon so I bought a lower tier road bike so I could at least stay competitive in races. Over the next several months i focused on running and biking while I tried to find a local affordable pool option that i could use for swimming. In November, I got access to a pool and have been swimming 3 times a week since. Swimming is by far my weak point, as I have never really swam with my head under water until about a month ago. To illustrate this my friends talked me into doing my first sprint Triathlon in late October on a whim, with no swim training. The swim was a 200m swim in an indoor pool and I was 82nd of 92 people coming out of the water. I passed a ton of people on the bike and had the 18th best bike time. I continued to pass several people on the run (7th best run time) and finished in 16th place. Side note: I carried my helmet for the first mile and a half because i forgot to take it off in the 2nd transition and refused to take it back. I have improved with swimming over the last month but still have a long way to go. Goals: I hope over the next year I can improve my swimming to a level that allow me to be more competitive. I also have some room to improve in cycling as I averaged about 18 mph during the race. By making these improvements I hope to be competitive in my age group. Weight goals: I am 6'2, 190 lbs so I'm hoping to cut down 10-15 pounds before the season. I hope to gain knowledge from the group, especially those who are more experienced. Also I believe being in a group will help hold me accountable to my training, so that I can accomplish my goals.

Hi Kurtis, and welcome!

It sounds like you've gotten your first taste of triathlon and are now ready to take it to the next level! 

Good job on running through so many people in your race and coming all the way up to 16th. Usually good running and cycling gains can be had by just getting out there and putting in the training miles. Swimming is a little more technique oriented. Try to start logging your training on the BT training log and I will check in and see how you are doing. 

You mentioned doing a few sprints and maybe an olympic this year. Do you already have specific races in mind? I find a great motivator is to pick a race or two and get registered, that way you have that date set and know what you have to go to get ready between now and then.

 

 

2017-01-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: Dominion


44
25
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Yeah i plan to start logging my workouts starting tomorrow as I took today off after a 10 mile run on Saturday.

My first big event will be my first half marathon in march then I'm planning on doing the Boiler Sprint in West Lafayette, IN in April which consists of a 300m indoor swim which I like since I'm still not the most confident in the water. Unfortunately there really doesn't seem to be any master's class training groups in the area so I'm more or less teaching myself along with videos and I got a subscription to swim smooth. My biggest weakness is still breathing as I have a tendency to still breathe in water sometimes but I am getting better about it.

After my race i bought some clip on pedals and shoes for my bike so I look forward to seeing how that helps my ride. I also have been working on getting into a more aero position on the bike, before I was basically riding straight up so that should also help my speed.


2017-01-02 3:37 AM
in reply to: #5208205

User image

New user
60
2525
Watford
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Hi Chris,

I'd like to join again, and I think this will be my third year with you.
Just a reminder on background and goals.

I'm 46 and have been doing tri's for about 4 years. However I only do 2 or 3 a year. I'm aiming to increase this number in 2017, by adding in more 'b' races,
I've a wife and two kids so training time can be difficult to come by another thing I am to improve this year.

I've really enjoyed the spirit, encouragement and knowledge in this group.

Thanks - Tony.
2017-01-02 7:42 AM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Welcome back Tony! 

Three years and only 43 posts! You need to be more active.!!! 

Are you still in England? I'd be interested to here more about the racing over there.

2017-01-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Kurtis,

Wow, 10 mile run to close out 2016, Nice!

On the swimming, just keep at it. Try not to let it frustrate you. Remember that breathing while swimming is just like breathing on land. Try to keep that mindset...Breathe In, Breathe Out...Breathe In, Breathe Out. Be sure to fully exhale while your face is in the water, then just turn your head to the surface and take in the next breath. Try not to be holding your breath at any point. It's just breathe in, breathe out. There is a rhythm to it.

The clipless shoes and pedals are a very worthwhile upgrade. Get comfortable in them, but remember everybody falls at some point. Everybody! Even when you think you have it down, there will be that time when you just forget. Trust me on that one, but don't feel bad about it, it happens to everyone eventually.

2017-01-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image


62
2525
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Hi Chris,

I feel like this is the group for me. I'm brand new to triathlons, but not completely new to fitness. In July of 2015, I weighed 310 pounds and was eating and drinking whatever I wanted. I got sick of being that way, and at 31, I made a change. Cold turkey I switched my nutrition and joined my local gym. My focus was on lifting weights originally(which I still enjoy), but then I started running. After my first 5k, I was hooked. Since then I've run 8 or so 5ks, a trail 10k, a road 10k and in October I completed my first half marathon. I weighed 210 pounds and completed it in 1:59:38. Unfortunately since then, I've rebounded about 20 pounds.

That being said, I'm focused on dropping weight and getting into triathlons. I have rehashed my nutrition plan and am ready to start full on triathlon training just as soon as I get a membership to my indoor pool(couple weeks or so). I have 2 triathlons(one sprint and maybe a olympic, but I might make it a sprint too) in my sights this year for sure. May and June. If this seems like a story and a guy you can work with, I'd love to be in!
2017-01-02 12:25 PM
in reply to: joshwennes

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by joshwennes Hi Chris, I feel like this is the group for me. I'm brand new to triathlons, but not completely new to fitness. In July of 2015, I weighed 310 pounds and was eating and drinking whatever I wanted. I got sick of being that way, and at 31, I made a change. Cold turkey I switched my nutrition and joined my local gym. My focus was on lifting weights originally(which I still enjoy), but then I started running. After my first 5k, I was hooked. Since then I've run 8 or so 5ks, a trail 10k, a road 10k and in October I completed my first half marathon. I weighed 210 pounds and completed it in 1:59:38. Unfortunately since then, I've rebounded about 20 pounds. That being said, I'm focused on dropping weight and getting into triathlons. I have rehashed my nutrition plan and am ready to start full on triathlon training just as soon as I get a membership to my indoor pool(couple weeks or so). I have 2 triathlons(one sprint and maybe a olympic, but I might make it a sprint too) in my sights this year for sure. May and June. If this seems like a story and a guy you can work with, I'd love to be in!

Josh, you're in! Welcome!

Congrats on the weight loss and under 2 hours in your first HM!

Putting on a few pounds of winter weight is pretty common, I usually gain 10 or so myself. It should begin to come back down once you get into consistent tri training. The swimming will help with that too. Once you get that pool membership try to swim 2 or 3 times per week with at least 1500 yards per session. Also as I mentioned to the others if you use the BT training logs it will help me to be able to check in and see how things are going for you. That is purely optional of course but I do think it helps to receive that occasional encouragement and to be accountable to something other than just yourself.



2017-01-02 1:04 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image


62
2525
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
I have logged todays workout and plan to daily. I'm a bit of a gym rat, and nearly a certified personal trainer(taking my exam in the next month or so) so I hit the gym frequently. Nutrition is where I tend to struggle the most anymore.
2017-01-02 2:21 PM
in reply to: Dominion


44
25
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Yeah I was 7 miles short of a 500 mile year and was still feeling good at mile 7, so added a few extra miles.

Yeah still trying to find the rhythm. I'm making progress but its slower than I would like. I'll just keep plugging along and trying to make improvements as if I cant make it out of the water in a decent time, it doesn't matter how strong I am in the other disciplines. Swimming has been humbling, as I can run and bike for over an hour without a problem but swimming one lap and I'm gasping for air lol. I added today's run already and ill add tonight's swim later on tonight.

Previously I had been looking for a plan to follow for my training. In the past I've generally followed my own running plans or modified existing ones to my schedule. Two factors seem to make it hard for me to follow an existing plan, One is my upcoming half marathon that i doubt any sprint triathlon is going to recommend running enough miles to be ready for since you only need to run 5k in the sprint. The other is most generic plans assume a similar level in all three disciples. Starting at the beginning or even middle of a beginners plan would be drastically backtracking from what I already do. But on the other hand would pretty much fit where I am in swimming.

Currently I been doing the following:
Monday Run 4-5 miles/swim 500+m
Tuesday Bike on the trianer for an hour (dont have a power meter so not really sure how to track miles)
Wednesday: Run medium mileage 5-6 miles/swim 500+m
Thursday: Short run 3-4 miles (usually consist of some intervals)/bike 30 min on trainer
Friday: Bike 40 min on trainer/Swim 500+meters
Saturday: Long Run: upwards of 8 miles
Sunday: Optional swim day or off

I plan to increase the bike durations/distances when the weather warms up and i can get outside. Also I am increasing the swim distances as I improve.
Does this seem like an acceptable plan or does anyone have any recommendations on how to alter it?
2017-01-02 3:49 PM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Yeah I was 7 miles short of a 500 mile year and was still feeling good at mile 7, so added a few extra miles. Yeah still trying to find the rhythm. I'm making progress but its slower than I would like. I'll just keep plugging along and trying to make improvements as if I cant make it out of the water in a decent time, it doesn't matter how strong I am in the other disciplines. Swimming has been humbling, as I can run and bike for over an hour without a problem but swimming one lap and I'm gasping for air lol. I added today's run already and ill add tonight's swim later on tonight. Previously I had been looking for a plan to follow for my training. In the past I've generally followed my own running plans or modified existing ones to my schedule. Two factors seem to make it hard for me to follow an existing plan, One is my upcoming half marathon that i doubt any sprint triathlon is going to recommend running enough miles to be ready for since you only need to run 5k in the sprint. The other is most generic plans assume a similar level in all three disciples. Starting at the beginning or even middle of a beginners plan would be drastically backtracking from what I already do. But on the other hand would pretty much fit where I am in swimming. Currently I been doing the following: Monday Run 4-5 miles/swim 500+m Tuesday Bike on the trianer for an hour (dont have a power meter so not really sure how to track miles) Wednesday: Run medium mileage 5-6 miles/swim 500+m Thursday: Short run 3-4 miles (usually consist of some intervals)/bike 30 min on trainer Friday: Bike 40 min on trainer/Swim 500+meters Saturday: Long Run: upwards of 8 miles Sunday: Optional swim day or off I plan to increase the bike durations/distances when the weather warms up and i can get outside. Also I am increasing the swim distances as I improve. Does this seem like an acceptable plan or does anyone have any recommendations on how to alter it?

Here's the way I would approach it. (and this may get long)

You're running around 20 miles per week currently according to what you posted. That is plenty for a sprint triathlon. Now if your goals are to run a 16 minute 5k off the bike or something insane like that then obviously you would need to run a lot more, but for just starting out, 20 miles per week is plenty to get you to the finish line in a decent time. But, depending on how important your half marathon is to you, I would do 2 things. First I would add another run each week so that you get in 5 days of running. This run can be another short 3 miler or so. Second I would increase that Saturday long run to 10 or 11 miles between now and race day. Those 2 additions will get you to around 25 miles/week. If you already have the run base and ability that I think you do, an increase from 20 to 25 should not be too much to handle. You can even spread this increase out over 3 or 4 weeks if you feel you need to. Week 1 add the 5th day of running (3 miles), week 2 increase long run to 9, week 3 increase long run to 10. Remember a long run maxing at 10 to 11 miles is really all you need for a half marathon. If you can run 10 at the end of a week during a full training load, you can run 13.1 on race day coming off a nice taper.  Once you get past the HM then you can drop that long run back down if all you have upcoming are sprints and 5K's. If you do decide to do an olympic distance keep the long run at 7 or 8 miles. If it's just sprints, you can do well with just a 5 mile long run. Work on increasing your speed at the 5 mile distance and it will pay off with gains at 5k.

For the trainer you can use a standard wired bike computer, you would just need to move it to the rear wheel. This can be a pain if you only have 1 computer, but if all or most of your riding will be on the trainer for the next couple of winter months, then you could go ahead and make the switch to the rear wheel and plan to leave it there until outdoor riding weather comes around. Three sessions a week for now is fine. You may want to try to get the 30 minute ride up to 45 but it just depends on how much time you have available. During your rides try to mix in a few intervals, things like 3 minutes hard or 1 minute all out efforts. Slow it down and recover your heart rate after each.

Swimming 3 days per week is great. I would try to get a minimum of 1500 yards in each session though. It doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) swimming 1500 straight through. A basic 1500 yard session might look something like this:

Warm- up ( 400 yards)  2 X 50 , 2 X 100 , 1 X 200

Main Set: (1100 yards) 6 X 50 , 6 X 100, 1 X 200

Push hard on the main set 50's and 100's. Keep rest between each to 30 seconds or less.

Throw in another easy 2 X 50 as a cool down at the end and you have 1600 yards done!

Hope some of this helps or at least gives you some ideas. Overall your plan looks very good, these are just my recommendations. Let me know if you have any questions.

 

 

2017-01-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott


12

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Hey! I was interested in joining this group.

My name is Emily. I will be turning 30 in 10 days and have decided to jump start my 30's and train for a triathlon. I need to loose 100+ pounds, so this is mainly for weightloss and being able to enjoy the rest of my life. I have no experience with triathlons. I'm a newbie.

My boyfriend and his family are into centuries, so I've been biking with them for the past few years. The longest ride I've done is 22 miles in the north Georgia mountains. I have also picked up running and will run my first 5k in quite a while at the end of January with a few more planned throughout the spring.

My goals for 2017 are to complete at least 1 sprint triathlon. But I really want to do multiple. Weightloss. And to (finally) go clip less on my bike!

I'm really excited about this!
2017-01-02 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
178
100252525
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Scott here,

I"m back for another go round. I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now. I'm 35 years old, married with 2 children and live in Bay City, MI. Last year was supposed to be the year I attempted my first 1/2 iron distance race but was injured in the early stages of training and decided to wait at least another year.

Not sure if this is the year I'll make the jump. I find I have poor time management skills and can have a great week or two of training and then something happens that messes up my mojo and I fall off the training wagon for 4 weeks. I'm currently only signed up for one triathlon, it's the last race of my tri season so lots of room for more triathlons. Most likely will stay relatively local again with most of the races and stay with the sprint or Olympic distances this year.

I'm also signed up for 8k and 5k race combo on the same day for the St. Pats races. Finally have myself running again with hope of running about 4 days a week and riding 2x. Swimming is currently only slated at 1x per week but hope to up that number by mid February. I'm slowly working my way back into shape. I'm a good 20 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago so I'm watching my diet closer as well to get back into race shape. I'm considering having a more run focused season this year as my run times have slipped considerably since starting triathlons. Time will tell how my season shapes up. My indoor triathlon in March usually helps me catch the bug again and select my races for the season.

Welcome to the folks that are new, its a good group. I read every post, however find it difficult to find the time to reply to most. (queue the poor time management skills again)

Scott

Edited by scottjjmtri99 2017-01-02 6:49 PM


2017-01-02 8:26 PM
in reply to: Dominion


4

Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Chris

I think this may be a good group for me. My name is Matt and I live in Western North Carolina. I am 36 and will be attempting my first triathlon this year. I have already signed up for an Xterra event in June. I would like to do an Olympic distance later in the year if possible. I do have an athletic background but I've never been fast or had great endurance. The only part of the race I am not worried about is the biking portion. I have been mountain biking for a few years and rode my bike across the country last year. I have no swimming experience at all and I have not run longer than the length of a basketball court in a long long time.

I know the only way I will push myself to get back into good shape is by signing up for a race and making a commitment to it. I figure this group would be a great help with that.
2017-01-02 8:42 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99


44
25
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Chris,

I appreciate the advice. I have an aggressive but what i think is realistic goal for my half marathon of doing it in 1:40. If i stick to the plan i think I may run 24 or 25 miles in the 4 days this week. plan on doing 4 today, 6 Wednesday, 3 or 4 Thursday and 11 Saturday. I am a little hesitant to add a 5th running day because I have an on/off Achilles issue. By running 4 days a week and having three rest days it sometimes gets a little sore but have only had very minimal pain lately. Instead I have been just adding mileage to the days I already currently run. I could possibly try to add in a 5th day of a few miles to see how it goes though. Where would you recommend adding it in?

I definitely could add time to the bike just can get a little boring being stationary but that is just something I guess ill have to deal with. I'll have to look into how to attach the computer to the back wheel, I just got my first one for Christmas so ill look at that tomorrow. Maybe knowing my speed/distance on the bike will make it more interesting for me.

As I get better at swimming I plan to definitely add to my distance there.
2017-01-02 8:50 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image


541
50025
North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
In the words of Mater, I'm back fellow bad guys! Randy here, back for another season.

Me - I'm 48 years old, married, with two kids: a 7 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. While I played some sports in high school and then recreationally as an adult, I was never a gifted athlete. Whatever I contributed to a team came from lots of hard work and practice/repitition. I think it is that trait that has helped me the most in triathlon. I'm solidly in the middle of the pack and on a good day I might come close to cracking into the top 1/3 of the field at the sprint distance.

Background - I started off by doing 5Ks with my brothers a number of years back when my younger brother approached me about doing a sprint triathlon. I had to ask him what a triathlon was! LOL We live in separate states, so we weren't able to train together, but we did our best. As part of my research into triathlon, I discovered this site and got started with this group. I've been at this triathlon thing for 3 years now. I've done numerous sprints (maybe 10?) and 3 Olympic distance tris. My "racing season" consists of both straight running races (5K, 10K, and 1 half marathon) and triathlons, but I am interested in trying some other formats such as duathlon or aquabike.

Goals - For 2017, I am training for my first ever attempt at the half-Ironman distance. I plan to limit my racing to have fewer interruptions in my training. I think I raced too frequently in 2016 and it caused disruptions in my training that showed up in some of my results. I will most likely do 2 sprints, 1 Oly, and then my half-Ironman in September.

Looking forward to another great year with this group! Welcome to all of the new members. I'm here to tell you that you should never worry about asking any questions with this group. We have all been new at some point and you will find that the members are eager to share their knowledge and experiences with you. Good luck to everyone on a healthy, happy, and successful 2017!
2017-01-02 10:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
1541
100050025
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!
Chris, I would like to join the Dominion!

My name is Todd (41) and this will be my seventh year on BT and in the sport. I took up Swim, Bike, Run on Jan. 3, 2010 as a way to end a pack a day smoking habit that I had for over sixteen years (haven't touched 1 not even a puff since). I have been a Mentor through BT around 5 times and had great groups. Fear not because I am not here to try to coach because that is not what my groups were about. I considered myself a motivational cheerleader and still enjoy that role now. I am not a podium person and have no desire to be one, but certainly do not knock those who want to work for a podium. I am in this sport for a healthy lifestyle, to stay smoke free, but most of all the journey to the finish line.

I only did local runs / rides in 2016 as life and work prevented more. I have completed 1 Marathon (Houston), Approx 5 Half Marathons, 2 Half Ironman's (Racine & Galveston), an Olympic, numerous Sprints, and quit a few local running / cycling events.

I think I'd be good for this group as a cheerleader through inspires / post. If needed I can offer the simplest thoughts to help with things in the beginning.

As far as races this year it is all up in the air. I may go as short as some sprints or as long as an Ironman. I would say right now that I'm leaning towards completing all 3 Texas Half Ironman races (tried once but daughter had a surgery (tonsils and adenoids) that stopped it after #1). The full I'm considering is the new one I Fort Worth on 5/21, but I will not hurt myself to try and make it happen.

I just want to be a part of a group again to provide and receive support. I recently lost my Mother and Grandmother within 1 month of each other and as always this sport has grounded me and granted me peace in these difficult times.



Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2017-01-02 10:31 PM
2017-01-03 7:00 AM
in reply to: emsley05

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by emsley05 Hey! I was interested in joining this group. My name is Emily. I will be turning 30 in 10 days and have decided to jump start my 30's and train for a triathlon. I need to loose 100+ pounds, so this is mainly for weightloss and being able to enjoy the rest of my life. I have no experience with triathlons. I'm a newbie. My boyfriend and his family are into centuries, so I've been biking with them for the past few years. The longest ride I've done is 22 miles in the north Georgia mountains. I have also picked up running and will run my first 5k in quite a while at the end of January with a few more planned throughout the spring. My goals for 2017 are to complete at least 1 sprint triathlon. But I really want to do multiple. Weightloss. And to (finally) go clip less on my bike! I'm really excited about this!

Hi Emily, Welcome to the Dominion.

North GA is a beautiful area for cycling. Do you live in that area? I'm in Georgia as well but a little more south near Savannah.

It sounds like you already have some pretty good cycling experience. Good luck in your upcoming 5k. Let us know how it goes. This group likes race reports!



2017-01-03 7:07 AM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by scottjjmtri99 Scott here, I"m back for another go round. I've been doing triathlons for 3 years now. I'm 35 years old, married with 2 children and live in Bay City, MI. Last year was supposed to be the year I attempted my first 1/2 iron distance race but was injured in the early stages of training and decided to wait at least another year. Not sure if this is the year I'll make the jump. I find I have poor time management skills and can have a great week or two of training and then something happens that messes up my mojo and I fall off the training wagon for 4 weeks. I'm currently only signed up for one triathlon, it's the last race of my tri season so lots of room for more triathlons. Most likely will stay relatively local again with most of the races and stay with the sprint or Olympic distances this year. I'm also signed up for 8k and 5k race combo on the same day for the St. Pats races. Finally have myself running again with hope of running about 4 days a week and riding 2x. Swimming is currently only slated at 1x per week but hope to up that number by mid February. I'm slowly working my way back into shape. I'm a good 20 lbs heavier than I was 2 years ago so I'm watching my diet closer as well to get back into race shape. I'm considering having a more run focused season this year as my run times have slipped considerably since starting triathlons. Time will tell how my season shapes up. My indoor triathlon in March usually helps me catch the bug again and select my races for the season. Welcome to the folks that are new, its a good group. I read every post, however find it difficult to find the time to reply to most. (queue the poor time management skills again) Scott

Good to have you back Scott!

I know last year was a bit of a disappointment for you with the ankle injury you had to deal with. Hopefully you are running pain free and will find that mojo again. As I remember you were starting to make a name for yourself on the local area scene there in Michigan. Come back strong and reestablish that. Once you are in the full swing of training All 3 Disciplines (See what I did there ) that weight should fall off. I've got about 10 pounds to lose myself.

2017-01-03 7:17 AM
in reply to: balm426

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by balm426 Chris I think this may be a good group for me. My name is Matt and I live in Western North Carolina. I am 36 and will be attempting my first triathlon this year. I have already signed up for an Xterra event in June. I would like to do an Olympic distance later in the year if possible. I do have an athletic background but I've never been fast or had great endurance. The only part of the race I am not worried about is the biking portion. I have been mountain biking for a few years and rode my bike across the country last year. I have no swimming experience at all and I have not run longer than the length of a basketball court in a long long time. I know the only way I will push myself to get back into good shape is by signing up for a race and making a commitment to it. I figure this group would be a great help with that.

Hi Matt,

Did you do the RAAM last year or some other type of ride across the country? That sounds amazing. I wish I had the time to do something like that.

What area of western Carolina are you in? We try to make it up to the Maggie Valley / Waynesboro area every year or two.

Ease into the running slowly. Maybe just 2 or 3 short runs per week to get started. The key is to allow for adaptation without injury. Shin splints and joint pain/swelling can be fairly common when just starting out so don't push it. Start slow and be willing to take a few extra days off if you do have any issues start to develop.

As for the swimming, my advise it to get pair of goggles, some jammers and just get in the pool and get started. Swimming is an entirely different cardiovascular endurance than running or biking. It will take some work but consistency in the pool will pay off. Once you get your feet wet (literally) feel free to ask any questions you may have. Lots of good experience in this group.

2017-01-03 7:23 AM
in reply to: Time2TriHard

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by Time2TriHard Chris, I appreciate the advice. I have an aggressive but what i think is realistic goal for my half marathon of doing it in 1:40. If i stick to the plan i think I may run 24 or 25 miles in the 4 days this week. plan on doing 4 today, 6 Wednesday, 3 or 4 Thursday and 11 Saturday. I am a little hesitant to add a 5th running day because I have an on/off Achilles issue. By running 4 days a week and having three rest days it sometimes gets a little sore but have only had very minimal pain lately. Instead I have been just adding mileage to the days I already currently run. I could possibly try to add in a 5th day of a few miles to see how it goes though. Where would you recommend adding it in? I definitely could add time to the bike just can get a little boring being stationary but that is just something I guess ill have to deal with. I'll have to look into how to attach the computer to the back wheel, I just got my first one for Christmas so ill look at that tomorrow. Maybe knowing my speed/distance on the bike will make it more interesting for me. As I get better at swimming I plan to definitely add to my distance there.

Kurtis,

If you have a nagging injury (or potential injury) then by all means listen to your body and do what you think is best. Incidentally my goal for an upcoming half marathon is also 1:40. My race is February 4th, so I am running out of time!

If you haven't already, you could put a TV or computer in front of your trainer. Youtube has lots of cycling videos and things that you can watch for motivation while riding. CTXC are some of my favorites. They have several group ride videos of different lengths. And yes being able to see things like distance and average speed will help keep things much more interesting for you as well.

2017-01-03 7:29 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
1016
1000
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - OPEN!

Originally posted by rjchilds8 In the words of Mater, I'm back fellow bad guys! Randy here, back for another season. Me - I'm 48 years old, married, with two kids: a 7 year old girl and a 5 year old boy. While I played some sports in high school and then recreationally as an adult, I was never a gifted athlete. Whatever I contributed to a team came from lots of hard work and practice/repitition. I think it is that trait that has helped me the most in triathlon. I'm solidly in the middle of the pack and on a good day I might come close to cracking into the top 1/3 of the field at the sprint distance. Background - I started off by doing 5Ks with my brothers a number of years back when my younger brother approached me about doing a sprint triathlon. I had to ask him what a triathlon was! LOL We live in separate states, so we weren't able to train together, but we did our best. As part of my research into triathlon, I discovered this site and got started with this group. I've been at this triathlon thing for 3 years now. I've done numerous sprints (maybe 10?) and 3 Olympic distance tris. My "racing season" consists of both straight running races (5K, 10K, and 1 half marathon) and triathlons, but I am interested in trying some other formats such as duathlon or aquabike. Goals - For 2017, I am training for my first ever attempt at the half-Ironman distance. I plan to limit my racing to have fewer interruptions in my training. I think I raced too frequently in 2016 and it caused disruptions in my training that showed up in some of my results. I will most likely do 2 sprints, 1 Oly, and then my half-Ironman in September. Looking forward to another great year with this group! Welcome to all of the new members. I'm here to tell you that you should never worry about asking any questions with this group. We have all been new at some point and you will find that the members are eager to share their knowledge and experiences with you. Good luck to everyone on a healthy, happy, and successful 2017!

Welcome back Randy!

I can't wait to see what you can accomplish this year. What race are you doing for your half in September?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Dominon - Beginner Focused Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 22
 
 
RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76

Started by drfoodlove
Views: 33253 Posts: 1890

2018-07-17 6:28 PM Qua17

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 30043 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out
 
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
 
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
 
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 0
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
 
date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."