General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Angeles, California
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 9s
Overall Rank = 683/1358
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 110/242
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45. Bagel and some coffee. Gatorade and water. 1 banana 40 minutes prior to race.
Swim
  • 29m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've been on the verge of panic during previous ocean swims, but this was a breakthrough for me. Stayed calm throughout, paced myself well, and enjoyed every moment. This was a breeze by comparison. Warm, clean water was a plus, although the surf (4-6 feet) was difficult for some.
What would you do differently?:

I was pretty fast. Probably I left a bit too much in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

Winded coming up the beach in loose sand. Big T1 area with bikes racked for what seemed like miles. Went about my work fairly efficiently and pedaled out onto the course with good composure.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 54s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking has been my weakness. Although the time may look slow to some, this was a strong showing for me. I got passed by plenty of folks, but few of them blew by me. Felt vaguely proud that I managed to hold off a few guys with $3,000 bikes until well after the half way point.

Again, faster than normal for me, which proved short-sighted (see below). Still, nice to see some improvement.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Fumbled with my shoestrings for some reason. Had trouble focusing. Trip to the porta-potties cost me a minute or so.
Run
  • 57m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels came off. I manged to run 8:30 miles at the Santa Cruz Sentinel Tri last year. I've been running consistently this summer and set a 10K PR in June (43:56). Was secretly hoping to put in a sub 50 minute run, but the first big hill on Grand Ave took my breath away completely and knocked me for a loop. Walked and shuffled for the next two miles with a hot dagger sticking in my gut. Got my composure back slowly, and managed to jog the second half at a more respectable clip, but nothing like what I had hoped for.

It's pretty clear that I didn't leave myself enough gas for the run. Was probably over confident about what I could do based on the good stand-alone runs I've had this summer. Better get serious about brick training.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Out of gas early in the run. Drank and ate in good measure throughout the course, so I think it was something more than nutrition. Been very stressed and anxious for the last few weeks because of work. Maybe that took a toll?

Event comments:

Great traffic control. More help needed at the aid stations.

Last updated: 2006-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/242
Overall: 227/1358
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto Black Pearl (Full)
Course: Surf was up and swimmers were getting picked up and slammed in the breakers, much to the delight of spectators on the beach. Currents pulled some swimmers off course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:54 | 24.85 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Overall: 846/1358
Wind: Little
Course: What a blast! Having the streets of L.A. closed to traffic made for a great ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:38 | 06.21 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 875/1358
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-10 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-09-10 9:58 PM
in reply to: #535886

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Good report ! sounds like you know exactly what to do next time. I bet you'll kick butt in the next race knowing what you went through today ! Good luck !

Btw, where was this race exactly ?
2006-09-10 11:46 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Good race , Your swim and bike split are very good.
There was some nice surf this morning and it was fun to see the earlier waves gets trashed and tossed .
2006-09-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #535954

User image

Expert
Central New York
Thanks. I'm trying not to dwell on the run, which was a disappointment. Instead, I'm pleased that I swam without anxiety and that my bike time showed some improvement. As they say, two out of three ain't bad. I wish I'd showed a little more tenacity and toughness at the end, but I'm happy to be up and moving this morning with no stiffness/soreness.

Other LA Tri race reports?
2006-09-11 9:57 AM
in reply to: #536143

User image

Don't stress on the run -- it's a tough one! I downgraded from Oly to Sprint due to leg injury (CECS) and walked almost half the run (planned to walk, but still not satisfying; wish I could have really run it). It was still fun to be with all those people in Hollywood and downtown. And be really happy with your swim -- that was some surf, and a tough current in the wrong direction. By the time my wave left (we were last, wave 15), Clay Evans was on the megaphone saying we should be terrified. Actually, he said we deserved it for wimping out on the longer distance! Although I had a great FOP swim, it waas a tough entry, and I'd have been happy to swim longer, and earlier in the morning.
2006-09-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: #536218

User image

Expert
Central New York
Don't stress on the run -- it's a tough one! I downgraded from Oly to Sprint due to leg injury (CECS) and walked almost half the run (planned to walk, but still not satisfying; wish I could have really run it).

Yep, tough day overall, considering the size of the waves and strong currents during the swim and the hilly run course downtown.

It was still fun to be with all those people in Hollywood and downtown.

Yes, it was. Loved the experience of rolling down Hollywood Blvd and the Walk of Fame early in the AM without traffic.

Working on a race report, I hope? Love to know what others experienced out there.

Edited by Xan 2006-09-11 11:49 AM

2006-09-11 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan

Man you rocked the swim.  I am very impressed that you were able to maintain that run pace with the side pains.  Great job.

2006-09-11 2:12 PM

User image

If you panicked on earlier swims and stayed calm watching the pounders come in, then I gotta hand it to you!   Although they were not very powerful, they sure were intimidating!

Don't beat yourself up on the run, everyone told me the run is hard (and it is)..... great race report!!

2006-09-12 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
Wow. Great race! That swim was intimidating with the 6-7 foot waves. I just stood there in awe thinking, am I really going into that? But I did.

Next year I'll be with the 'big boys' in the Olympic distance?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Angeles Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed