Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 59m 13s
Overall Rank = 185/195
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 40/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate --- a banana; (2) Ensure; and a protein bar. Relaxed and sipped on a bottle of Gatorade.

Checked my bike set-up, and my transition bag to make sure I had everything. Headed out for the transition area -- just short walk from my hotel.

I was one of the first people to the transition area, and I got the prime (for me anyway) spot - the first one right out of the water.
Event warmup:

The walk from my hotel -- and I ran a little bit after I got my transition area set.

Got on my wetsuit and swam a few 100 meters out into the current - and somewhat of a break. There were 2-3 foot waves on Lake Geneva the morning of the race, with a little bit of a break and some intermittent white caps. WINDY!!!!

Tried to stay warm -- the race is known for being a little disorganized -- so I anticipated it not starting on time. It didn't -- stayed warm by running on the beach, then just waded in the water (72 degrees) to stay warm on a cool morning (55 degrees).
Swim
  • 47m 55s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was overall a good swim. It definitely took longer to go out and back in with the current and waves due to the wind. Didn't have any real problems with navigation, or other swimmers, or the waves -- just made swimming out a little harder with the current.
What would you do differently?:

Not much -- I just need to get faster in the water before September 9, 2007.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

A pretty good transition. Like I said, I had the first spot in transition right out of the water and it was also only about 20 feet from the bike out -- made for a good transition.

The only real problem I had was my wetsuit did get stuck on my left heel -- grabbed nutrition and got off.

The time got up there b/c I was a little disorganized (compared to my sprint and Oly transitions) b/c I double checked everything too make sure I was set; given it was my first 1/2.

I just need to continue to race so I get more confident I am not forgetting anything and the helmet, glasses, nutrition in pockets, etc. becomes more natural. AND, I need to practice getting out of my wetsuit!!
Bike
  • 3h 15m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I had a good bike ride. That is, other than the head wind -- that seemed to be a head wind on 3 out of 4 directions.

Nutrition was good -- I think I found a a nutrition plan that works for me -- Gatorade Endurance formula and PowerBars. The course was marked pretty good -- except some of the corners there were problems with controlling traffic -- not sure if it was the cars or the volunteers.

Also, I need to contact xLab about their straps on the Flatwing. I lost two tubes and a tire tool -- they just fell out of the strap.

There is one downhill near the end of the course that was great for really getting the speed up (I got over 40 mph), but I hadn't previewed the course well enough (and they didn't have it marked) that there was a 90 degree left turn at the bottom. No flat stretch just a left turn in the middle of a good decent. I came over a rise in the decent and there was a guy pointing with a flag -- turn left.

Fortunately, I was able to bleed off enough speed without locking up my brakes too much -- only skidded a little a couple of times (Wow, fish tailing at 30+ on 25 tires is a little spooky). I did get slowed down enough to make the turn -- kind of. I had to get my left foot out of the pedal and ride the corner wide (into the grass -- thankfully no rocks, etc.) and hold on for dear life -- but, I made the turn. I think the group behind me, however, had a few people fall.

Same thing went for the bike in for T2 -- at the bottom of a really steep hill that was impossible to keep the speed down on -- and to top it off there was sand in the road right at the entry. This area I had properly previewed, but it was still a little scary, but I made it without any complications.

I did get back to T2 about 15 minutes faster than I figured I would.

Not race on a cloudy, cold day. ;-) I still need to work on my flexibility and strength so I don't get so sore late in the bike.

Preview the course a little better, so turns like the one on the decent don't nearly ruin my race.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Pretty good T2. As with T1, I need to get a little faster -- practice. I spend some time making sure I haven't forgot anything instead of having confidence in my preparations.

That, and as close as the bike out was, the run out was far away.

Need to invest in some quick ties for my shoes -- I spend time tying my shoes, so I could save some time there.

As with T1, I spent a few extra moments making sure I didn't forget anything -- especially nutrition -- first 1/2 and all.

Just need to develop the habit.
Run
  • 2h 46m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs cramped up right out of T2 so I had to walk quite awhile in the 1-4 mile range. I did have to walk a few additional times, but after mile 4-4.5 I was able to maintain a 11' to 12' per mile pace.

I also had some all over tightness and discomfort throughout the first loop that kept my pace a little slower. But, the tightness and discomfort subsided during loop two after I found a spot to pee -- wow, that made things a little more comfortable and I was able to increase my pace.

Pee sooner!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off; ate some watermelon, a banana, and some orange slices. Walked the 1/4 to 1/2 mile back to the transition area and got my bike and walked back to my hotel. Stretched and washed up a little.

Hydrated throughout the afternoon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'M SLOW!! I need to build more run base and increase my pace so I can perform better on the run.

I also need to increase my speed in the water -- time to get to Master's.

On the bike I am pretty happy with my progress. I just need to increase my flexibilty so I don't stiffen up so much so I can maintain better pace throughout the ride.

Get to the weight room -- I know that not working on the strength training like I should have hurt my performance -- more strength would have been GREAT.

Last updated: 2006-01-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:55 | 1931 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Average
Suit: Instinct LongJohn
Course: An out and back, counterclockwise course. The bouys moved around in the current and wind so the course markings didn't stay straight. Fortunately, I noticed that the bouys didn't stay very straight, so I didn't follow them -- like some other competitors. I just sighted the last bouy (one advantage of doing the long event on the day) and swam straight to it keeping the other bouys on my left. I did the same thing coming back in -- I just aimed for the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:07
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:15:25 | 56 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Lots of turns. Only had a few real long straight aways were we could really get settled into aero position, and the wind was a gusting, headwind on everyone of them. Don't get me wrong -- I was able to be in aero most of the race, but there weren't any really long straight aways were one could get good and settled in.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:46:49 | 13.1 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Course: A two loop course that was very hilly. We had a couple of climbs that were 6-7% grade and about 1/3 of a mile long. And, we had to decend these same hills on the way back to the turn around right at the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-09-12 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peoria, Arizona
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon

Overall, I had a good race.  I was shooting for under 8 hours.  So, the 6:59 was great.

Not rocket fast on the grand scale (compared to the best in the world), but about an hour faster than my goal.

I finished the bike about 15 minutes faster than I figured I would, and riding that emotional and energy high I did the run about 30-45 minutes faster that I had figured I would be able to --- AND, that was after the first of the two 6.55 mile loops being about the pace I expected.  Yep, I negative split the run course, on the last 6.55 miles of a 70.3 mile race (getting the off the bike cramps to go completely away was great, or I'm not sure what the outcome would have been)!!!!!!  The negative split was a definite positive for the day, and gave me great confidence in my ability to race through discomfort, etc..

AND, ...

Its on to Ironman Wisconsin next year!!!!

Yep, I'm one of the insane people that registered for and sold out IM-Moo 2007 by 10:00 CDT.

Edited by SwmBkRn 2006-09-12 9:36 PM

2006-09-13 10:28 PM
in reply to: #538826

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon
Nice work Tim!  Congrats on the 1/2 IM AND signing up for the IM! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Rss Feed