General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-12 7:50 AM

Subject: FTP
I know, it’s a question where a finite answer is not possible. I have been racing triathlon for about 2 years, and completed 1 - IM, 2 - 70.3’s, and several sprints. However, my first year, consisted of 9 months training, followed by VERY limited training for 6 months, injury - 2 surgeries: IT Band lengthening, miniscus trim. So, I really didn’t start to come alive again until August of this year. I have been training pretty hard since then, from 20:30 5k, to 18:30 - 18:45ish, FTP up from 215ish to 235 currently. With all of that said, over the next 6 months what is the best way to increase my FTP? What sort of work/recover ratio for intervals, how many tempo, intervals, etc should I be doing every week (while not totally neglecting swim/run). Is it realistic for me to think I can hit 300 by August? Side note, I recover quick, sedentary for 20 year prior, smoke, drink, etc., 38 YO male.

2018-01-12 8:41 AM
in reply to: Tmontgomery

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: FTP
It's a combination of things to raise FTP. First, you need to build a solid base. FTP work without that is going to be ineffective.

Here's 4 things you can do:
1. 1-2 long rides each week (to make sure you build on your base conditioning)

2. 3x10min FTP intervals - Warm up 10 minutes; do 3x10min at 92-95% of FTP with 5 minutes recovery between sets. Cool down for 20-30 minutes

3. 3x15min FTP intervals. Same as above, but with 8 minutes recovery. This is highly recommended to do the day before a rest day.

4. 2x20min FTP intervals. Warm up 20-30 minutes; do 2 x 20min at 88-92% of FTP. Concentrate on maintaining a steady W the entire interval. 5 minutes recovery between and then 20-30 minutes cool down (steady state).

It's impossible to know if you can hit 300W by August... if you're at 280W right now, then yes, possible, but with hard work. If you're at 180W now, then no it's not going to happen.
2018-01-12 9:02 AM
in reply to: #5234922

I sincerely appreciate your response. I noted all of the recommended training, was below FTP. So, the trick is longer intervals just below FTP? Maybe that’s where I am going wrong, I have been doing 4 work, 3 recovery, at 115 - 120%, typically 4 reps followed by 10 minutes at FTP. That’s just an example, varying work/recovery/percentage training. I do that a couple times a week with a tempo at 90%, and a longer aerobic.
2018-01-12 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Tmontgomery

I know, it’s a question where a finite answer is not possible. I have been racing triathlon for about 2 years, and completed 1 - IM, 2 - 70.3’s, and several sprints. However, my first year, consisted of 9 months training, followed by VERY limited training for 6 months, injury - 2 surgeries: IT Band lengthening, miniscus trim. So, I really didn’t start to come alive again until August of this year. I have been training pretty hard since then, from 20:30 5k, to 18:30 - 18:45ish, FTP up from 215ish to 235 currently. With all of that said, over the next 6 months what is the best way to increase my FTP? What sort of work/recover ratio for intervals, how many tempo, intervals, etc should I be doing every week (while not totally neglecting swim/run). Is it realistic for me to think I can hit 300 by August? Side note, I recover quick, sedentary for 20 year prior, smoke, drink, etc., 38 YO male.

Search for something called Jorge's winter training plan. It's a 15 or so week plan and most people see a good bump in FTP.

Also a few years ago there was a power mentor group here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... with some workouts that looked more into your current strengths and focused on your weakness. There is a LOT of stuff in that thread so it's a bit overwhelming but if your into this stuff, go nuts

235 to 300 is a big step but it sounds like you have a good engine.

Also, a smart rider can go faster on 260w than a less smart rider on 300 :-)

2018-01-12 10:23 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I was in that Power Mentor's group and those workouts were great and I'm still using them. What helped me raise my FTP was those 1-hour workouts where you do sets 2 to 4 minutes above FTP with 1-3 minutes recovery. Those "sweet spot" rides with 10 or more minutes at 90-95% of FTP were mentally tough. Those type rides I would save for the outdoors. What's nice about shorter intervals is you don't need TV etc. because things are changing so quickly, just need some sweet tunes on the radio.

Marq and the mentor group leaders were/are a wealth of information but even though that thread is long, there's some really good stuff in there I recommend any new riders looking to improve to scroll through it.
2018-01-12 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Tmontgomery I know, it’s a question where a finite answer is not possible. I have been racing triathlon for about 2 years, and completed 1 - IM, 2 - 70.3’s, and several sprints. However, my first year, consisted of 9 months training, followed by VERY limited training for 6 months, injury - 2 surgeries: IT Band lengthening, miniscus trim. So, I really didn’t start to come alive again until August of this year. I have been training pretty hard since then, from 20:30 5k, to 18:30 - 18:45ish, FTP up from 215ish to 235 currently. With all of that said, over the next 6 months what is the best way to increase my FTP? What sort of work/recover ratio for intervals, how many tempo, intervals, etc should I be doing every week (while not totally neglecting swim/run). Is it realistic for me to think I can hit 300 by August? Side note, I recover quick, sedentary for 20 year prior, smoke, drink, etc., 38 YO male.
Search for something called Jorge's winter training plan. It's a 15 or so week plan and most people see a good bump in FTP. Also a few years ago there was a power mentor group here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... with some workouts that looked more into your current strengths and focused on your weakness. There is a LOT of stuff in that thread so it's a bit overwhelming but if your into this stuff, go nuts 235 to 300 is a big step but it sounds like you have a good engine. Also, a smart rider can go faster on 260w than a less smart rider on 300 :-)

It's the Winter Training Plan in the Training Plans section. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=10919&memberlevel=1

Just to warn you, that plan is DAMN HARD, but really does provide significant gains.

2018-01-12 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by marcag

Search for something called Jorge's winter training plan. It's a 15 or so week plan and most people see a good bump in FTP.

Also a few years ago there was a power mentor group here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... with some workouts that looked more into your current strengths and focused on your weakness. There is a LOT of stuff in that thread so it's a bit overwhelming but if your into this stuff, go nuts

235 to 300 is a big step but it sounds like you have a good engine.

Also, a smart rider can go faster on 260w than a less smart rider on 300 :-)

I highly recommend Jorge's plan. I've cycled through the entire plan then repeated the last 5 weeks a couple times last year and achieved about 25% gain in my FTP (about 50 watts). The self torture is real man but the gains you make on the trainer using this plan shows when you ride outdoors.
2018-01-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #5234944

Thanks to everyone for their input, very much appreciated. Getting ready to test now, results forthcoming.
2018-01-13 11:02 PM

Given that you plan to continue with the other two sports and not dedicate yourself entirely to riding. . . I would suggest a lot of sweet spot training. If you're only riding 3-4 times a week, every ride should have a purpose, no garbage miles. It will allow you to make FTP gains but also not leave you too tired for the other two sports. Going from 235 to 300 would take a singular, multiple year focus, dropping the other two sports. The good news is that you don't need a 300w FTP to be successful in triathlon. So rather than focusing on a particular number, I would focus on putting the work and time in and see where it takes you.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FTP Rss Feed