General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling faint after swimming in the lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-02 3:29 PM

Subject: Feeling faint after swimming in the lake
Hi everyone

Can anyone help/advise on the issue below please?

I have been swimming in a lake for 750-1000m a few times now. . It hasn’t been particularly cold and I haven’t felt particularly fatigued. However I do feel really faint and nauseous straight afterwards. I’ve never felt like this after pool swims.

My amateur 2 theories are

My balance may be upset as the water is murky and I have no reference points such as the lines in the pool or the pool end?

Could it be to do with the fact I’m wearing a swim hat and water is no escaping from my ears? I don’t normally wear one in the pool

Other?

I hope someone can help as there’s no way I could jump on a bike for my triathalon until at leat 20 mins after the swim.

Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards

Andy

2018-05-02 3:32 PM
in reply to: ARBoyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Feeling faint after swimming in the lake
Depends on how cold the water is, could be initial stages if hypothermia.

Had that happen to me in the summer in an open pool that had rain the night before. Bit chilly when I got it. Got used to it. Got done and then I was dizzy, nauseous and somewhat disoriented for a few hours.
2018-05-02 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Cold water in the ears triggers vertigo in a lot of people. Choppy water and a horizon that appears to move can also contribute to a kind of woozy feeling, like being carsick. If you're only getting these symptoms while swimming (not while doing other workouts, which would probably be a sign of illness), then it's probably vertigo. A swim cap should actually help a bit, but what would really be effective are earplugs--the silicon kind that you warm up in your hands and then mold to your ears work well. Without the plugs I would be unable to make it through T1 and onto my bike without falling over multiple times after a cold-water swim!
2018-05-02 7:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
In addition to the info already offered, may I ask if you are wearing a wet suit? That can cause issues...

To help with the possibility of it being the (cold) water in the ears leading to vertigo, - earplugs !
2018-05-04 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
My 3 cents:
1. I recall my first OWS race and thought I something was really wrong with me as I was very out of breath and had trouble breathing in the first 200 yards of the race. As it turned out, my pacing was BAD and I was way over-extended and going too fast.

2. I did an HIM a few years ago at altitude with a water temperature of 61°F. I did not overdue it this time, but when I tried to stand to run out of the water I was really dizzy, and with the rocks in the water, I could not keep my balance and had to pretty much float in, pulling myself along the bottom with my hands. I was still dizzy for a while once I got out of the water but was fine once I got to my bike.

3. Somehow over a period of 9 years my wetsuit "shrunk" . When I got a new wetsuit that was properly sized I realized how much the old wetsuit was compressing my chest, making it difficult to breath. Having a properly sized wetsuit made OWS much easier and more enjoyable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feeling faint after swimming in the lake Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming Technique Tips for Triathlon Swims - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 1304 Posts: 2

2018-04-29 1:38 PM tazrocky

Recovered Felt Bike - Columbus Ohio

Started by aalbury
Views: 543 Posts: 3

2018-01-21 12:47 PM alicefoeller

Felt Bayonet aerobar extension clamp

Started by clydecat
Views: 1933 Posts: 3