EnviroSports
61.7F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 20s
Overall Rank = 309/960
Age Group = M40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 40/112
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana, drank two sugar-free RedBulls, and chased the mess down with four Tylenol and four Tums. Tried to figure out where I could have last rites performed.
Event warmup:

Walked the March of Doom about seven blocks from registration to the Ferry boarding plaform and enjoyed the boat ride to Alcatraz with Nate, Alison, BT Jeubank, and her friend Mark.

Apparently there was an eight year old girl in the event, which sort of destroyed my sense of machismo about this whole thing, but I figured that if I found her during the swim I could try to kick her goggles off or something, which would be far better than having her beat my time. I'm not man enough to look at the race results and see if she beat me. I can't handle the truth.
Swim
  • 48m 20s
  • 2414 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

It's pretty amazing to swim and see the Bay Bridge on one side, the Golden Gate Bridge on the other, Alcatraz behind you, and San Francisco ahead. That's just cool.
What would you do differently?:

Now that I've done this beast, I'll know better where to sight and where to swim. I have a wicked neck rash, so it would make some sense to break down and use body glide. I couldn't figure out the start, but it looked like people just jumped off the boat and started swimming for SF. As one of the last people off the boat, I started at the back and did a lot of passing. Never passed.
Post race
Warm down:

Came out of the water and Dad was right at the finish line snapping pictures. In the bleachers, Nancy had set up the chauffeur from the Four Seasons with silver thermos bottles of hot chocolate. Coupled with mini-marshmallows, little chocolate kisses, and brandy, it was a pretty elegant way to finish the race. Picked up finisher's shirts, piled into the limo, and headed to a great restaurant for shrimp and crab Louie. That's the way to do this....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience with this specific event. That and the fact that I only have one gear when I'm swimming, and it's 2 minutes per 100 meters.

Event comments:

This was a wonderful experience! It's a little accomplishment to swim from Alcatraz to San Francisco, and I'm pleased and proud. I thought it would be much colder, with rougher water, but the day was just perfect. Nice to make a new friend in BT Jeubank, who has an absolutely delightful personality, and a wicked strong swim!

Last updated: 2005-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:20 | 2414 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 40/112
Overall: 309/960
Performance: Good
I swim like a slow swiss watch. I predicted a 45 minute swim, and with the bonus swimming t deal with the tides, I'm convinced that I was right on it.
Suit: Ironmonkey Full
Course: After a jump from the Ferry behind Alcatraz, it was a nice turn around the island, and then basically straight back to Aquatic Park. I missed the messsage that the tide was still coming in, so I counted on currents that were actually going the other drection.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 62F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-16 5:42 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim

2006-09-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #543449

User image

Napa
Subject: RE: Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim

Sounds like you had a good experience.  I really liked the race, especially the weather.  I did practice crossing in August that was choppy, cold, and miserable.  I hated it and almost bailed on Sharkfest.  Glad I am cheapskate and wanted to get my money's worth,  I really enjoyed the day.

I want to make another crossing next year either with Sharkfest or the South End Rowing Club (my coworker says it's a better organized event).

2006-09-19 1:35 PM
in reply to: #543449

User image

Subject: RE: Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim
Awesome!  Fun swim, isn't it? 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim Rss Feed