Ironman
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 54s
Overall Rank = 245/1250
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 9/58
Pre-race routine:

Drove the 4.5 hrs Syracuse, this time with Denise, which is always longer than it seems. Great to have a helper driver and she let me stretch out my back a bit. Love the girl for always pitching in and being my lovely sherpa. Wanted to get there for Friday race check in and do a practice swim, but I wrote down that it was at 2pm-unfortunately, it was at 12-oops. Did get to hear the course review and ask questions. It was hot and getting hotter. Went to the Crowne Plaza for check in in Syracuse, a short 8 miles away. Checked in with Bobby to see if dinner was possible, but we were exhausted and opted to chill and hit the hay right away. Drove the bike course to get a sense of the first 10 miles and then did a practice swim with Bobby. No seaweed at all this time which was a pleasant surprise.My fastest swim w/u EVER in sub 1:30 pace! Not sure where that came from, but I liked it. Checked the bike and covered it. To the hotel, room service pasta and reviewed the plan for the 857,538th time. Light dinner and to bed early. Put the premix into the bike bottle and in the fridge.
Event warmup:

Up T-2.5 hrs to race start @ 4:00. Race was to start at 6:45 with a rolling start but I wanted to be early and not rushed. Through the usual AM pre-race routine like clockwork. Coffee/shower/Boost/Pop Tart/RK treat/G2. Dress to be 'race ready'. Body mark. body glide. Collect bags and make sure I have everything and set out to venue-leave at 5:00am and plan to arrive by 5:20. Long walk to transition. Set up, sync both Garmins, drinks on the bike, air in the tires. Feeling good and relaxed. Check in with Bobby (#898). Our transition spots are super terrible, like mine was in 2016. Walk to water and do warm up and wait. 61 degrees air temp (but would end in the mid to upper 80's) and water was 70 degrees-perfect.
Swim
  • 37m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a self seeded rolling start with signs up and you just got in the long line and they let the athlete's in one at a time every few seconds. You could pick your line and theoretically the people around you would not likely be very much faster or slower. It worked great!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2787014076/1
What would you do differently?:

Get composed and try to swim a bit faster. No panic and no real push either leaves for an average swim at 37:32, which for me happens to be a 70.3 PR. 37:51 here in 2016 and prior to that 38:58 at Quassy HIM in 2013. Hit my goal of sub 38, so I was very happy.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

Wanted to be close to 4 minutes again and achieved it. Beat last time in 2016. All good at T1.

Zippo.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.10 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, it was a slow/steady fail. Held power well initially, through the early 10 miles and then felt sapped and couldn't hold 200 watts during the flats for very long at all. By mile 20, I was barely holding 170 watts and felt tired, thirsty and that the pace was hard. Clearly getting dehydrated and needed to drink much, much more and more salt early on with the coming heat. Pace continued to slow until the end and twinges of cramps started in my quads.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2787014076/3

Drink more, Eat salty foods/supplements. I've added front hydration and would take calories by semi-solids and just drink water and gatorade alternating.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Wanted to be close to 2 minutes and again, achieved this goal.

Nada.
Run
  • 2h 15m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, I melted and cramped up again. Actually wasn't certain I'd finish when the worst cramps hit at mile 12 and my calf locked up sideways and I almost fell over. Stopped for several minutes for that one. In fact, I had one 15 minute mile, one 12:00, two 11:00's and lots of bad 10+ min miles. Quad cramps were unbearable.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2787014076/5

Hydrate early and often. Must carry fluids on the run along with electrolytes in hot races. EPIC fail on my goal for the run which amounts to a huge fail for the race. Really thought I could go sub 2 hrs-HA!
Post race
Warm down:

Should have gone to the lake to cool my legs. No ice baths available. Felt ill and got to visit the med tent for the first time. They did give me fluids, but no IV and iced towels for my legs/head.

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman-70.3/syrac...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps and overheating in the setting of inadequate hydration/salt loading. Kept a pace that was too fast for the conditions too.

Event comments:

It remains a challenging course. Unfortunately, I heard it will be discontinued, so my notes will not help me or anyone else. Loved having my wife at the venue this time and it's always a HUGE treat to race with Bobby.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:32 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/58
Overall: 340/1250
Performance: Good
No HR monitor in the water for me-too constricting. Garmin says I have to work on straight lines. Didn't have any panic issues but started really slowly and I can't site at all, apparently. Doing some swimming for the day or even two days in a row seems to help. I like the 10x100yd workout.
Suit: Helix Sleeveless
Course: Long rectangle from Jamesville beach. Follow the buoys out and turn at the color change and head in. More like an out and back than a rectangle as the middle part is really short.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:55 | 56 miles | 19.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/58
Overall: 153/1250
Performance: Average
Tried to hold power of 195-205 AP-NP, but the hill sucked the energy out of me and the hotter it got, the slower I got. Ended at 170 AP and 188 NP. Yuck! Goal of 2:52 on the bike, so I was close but could have/should have done better with pacing and holding power late. Not enough 3-4 hr bikes in the prior 6-8 weeks with HIM/OLY power.
Wind: Little
Course: Flat for 5 miles, except one 200 ft hill at mile 3, and then 3 miles that will punch you in the gut at 6/7/8 (+230/200/140 ft), flat at 9 and then +100 at mile 10. Then you can hammer if you have any energy until mile 23 (+130), flat again all the way to 44/45 (+110/130) and 49 (+150). Speed limit sign late and had to stay under 20 mph or be DQ'd. Yes, there were timing mats checking.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:15:06 | 13.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/58
Overall: 245/1250
Performance: Bad
New course. This year, it had an additional early out/back but stopped short of the big hill so it was CLEARLY easier on paper. Plenty of aid stations and ice. Ending temps were in the upper 80's which did not bode well for me as I cramped into oblivion, again. No HR monitor this year as I didn't want to know that number and it worked pretty well the last time.
Course: Out and back-twice. Winding out of the park along the grass field and up a small hill, which I walked the second loop. We ran over several types of terrain-grass/dirt/gravel/pavement. Hit the road after leaving the park and go left and head on down the road. The slight hills become big hills by the second loop. None of them are much, but cumulatively, the hurt adds up.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %BIG
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes