Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 50/163
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Mid week race totally messes with my mind and my schedule. Had to leave work with a planned 1/2 day, but that doesn't stop me from having to deal with emergencies and getting out late. Tried to get to the pool to do 10x100, but only did 8x100. Forgot my wrist strap so I had no times. Felt off all day. Felt anxious, heavy, just not in sync with the world and I didn't like it. I was hungry and ate McDonald's fries with salt and got a cup of ice to put on my aero hydration bottle. Stomach arguing with me all day. Stopped for gas and a small coffee which helped. Got to the venue and felt like things were turning around. Picked up my packet and racked my bike. Open racking so I had a primo spot. Unfortunately saw that my race cap wasn't in my bag so I had to trudge across the entire park to get it and then go back to the truck for my stuff. Wasted energy and increased anxiety. Got to the water, which was warm. Felt constricted and that's a bad sign. Did a warm up, but had to stop a few times and wasn't right at all. I knew there was trouble lurking.
Event warmup:

Quick swim and then they got us out. I was in Wave 1, not with my AG, as I was deemed 'elite'. What a crock of shit. I should have asked to be put with my AG. Going off with the best was a bad idea. I did not have my wrist watch for my garmin so I did not wear anything into the swim. I felt naked.
Swim
  • 22m 26s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

And even though I tried to stay back, I was on the side and in the middle of the bunch until 1/2 way to buoy 1 (of 3) and then tried to go to the middle, got swam over, but took that pretty well and then I got kicked hard in the side and drank lake and panicked. That was it. I wasn't right. Tried to swim for 30 seconds and stopped. Flipped on my back, did the back stroke and sculled. And swam a bit but had to tread water. Breathing was out of control. A kayak came to me and I hung on it for several minutes (?3-4). Tried to get my breath back and calm down. Then tried to swim again and my side hurt. Made it to the other side and called another kayak. It hurt to breathe a bit and I wondered for a minute if I broke a rib but now I just think it's bruised and I'm a puss.
What would you do differently?:

oh, don't let me even start...
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Just tried to jog quickly up to the bike and get things done. Shoes on. Helmet on. Get the fuck out of transition.

not much
Bike
  • 30m 37s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

12 OA on the bike! Baby, I'm happy about that. I did not beat the 2 ALL AMERICANS in my AG, but what the hell. I pushed hard and that was what I had in me on the bike. NP=232; AP=224, IF=0.99

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

man, people are fast in T2! I've got to work on this.

Be more efficient and quicker, of course.
Run
  • 23m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

That run is hard. Doesn't seem like much of a hill but it hurts none the less.

Go faster, of course
Post race
Warm down:

http://www.iresultslive.com/?op=division&eid=3575&racename=Individu...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Anxiety. Bad preparation. Not enough training

Event comments:

Tom Wilkas is awesome! My performance was not.

Last updated: 2017-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:26 | 880 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 53/163
Performance: Bad
A new PW! Holy shit am I bad in the mix. In the open, much better, but I have a glass jaw. No HR monitor. Felt constricted by the wetsuit. Was warm with the lake being 76 degrees. I should have worn my LAVA pants only.
Suit: Helix Sleeveless
Course: Straight out for three buoys and across to the other side and 3 buoys back. Course was closer to perfect this year, unlike last year when it was long.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:37 | 10.5 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 12/163
Performance:
Feeling pretty down after that swim debaucle. Pushed hard again. I just could not catch my breath. It took 7 miles before I felt close to normal, but I never really came close to being right, until I started running. I had hoped to come as close to my FTP as I could during this part but I had mixed emotions. With my breathing difficulties, I felt like I had less power in my legs, but I was angry about the swim and just pushed anyway. First time that I felt dizzy on the bike. Was a bit worried on one of the hills that I might lose control as i was pushing hard. Good thing I didn't have anything in my stomach as it probably wouldn't have stayed there. No one passed me on the bike, but that was likely as I was in wave 1 and you would have to be pretty dam fast to catch me with a 3 minute head start.
Wind: None
Course: Big loop. 10.5 miles. Hills at 5/6/9. Flat/down during the first 4 miles and you can bank some time and catch your breath (usually).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:04 | 03.1 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 36/163
Performance: Average
No watch or times for splits since I didn't have my watch band for my Garmin.
Course: Out and back. 3 people passed me in the last half mile and none before that.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes