General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tough decision...need advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-07-26 7:27 PM


2

Subject: Tough decision...need advice?
This is my first time actually writing on this website, any for that matter, but didn’t know where else to ask so sorry if there is another post or this is wrong place. I have been training for IM Lou this coming Oct since January. The past two weeks I have started to get, what I think/diagnosed, peroneal tendonitis. My outside left ankle feels week and starts to feel uncomfortable when I run. Don’t fee it at all when I bike. It doesn’t hurt when I stand on it or move it around only when I push off on my stride. I have toughed it out for the end of June but can feel it getting worse. I have an ortho appointment this coming Monday but I already know what he is going to say, stay off of it. I have read that tendonitis can take a month or so to heal which would really suck. Here lies my dilemma. I purchased the Ironman insurance. Do I try and get a refund or stay off of it for a month and then hopefully it heals so I can at least run the race. I am a person that wants to be competitive in a race, goal was to break 10, so it would kill me to do it and be totally out of shape for the race.. any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.


2018-07-27 7:48 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Veteran
427
10010010010025
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Ok, I'm nowhere near as fast as your stated goal so take my advice with a grain of salt.

My philosophy when it comes to injury is to never rush the healing process. Don't sacrifice the short term for the long term. You have the insurance so that was a smart move. Races will always be there; heal up and get strong. Live to fight another day!

Not sure if you have done a full IM or not, but if you have then you know it's already a "stressful" day. Why make it even more stressful if you get re-injured and, possibly, DNF? How would you feel if you were halfway done with the marathon and all of a sudden your foot acts up and you have to run/walk to the finish? Would you be devastated? Would you just chalk it up as a risk that you took and not let it bother you? Be honest with yourself when answering these questions and you will know what path to take.
2018-07-27 8:35 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image


127
10025
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Wait to talk to your doctor, but rest until then. October 14th is still a long way away. When would you have to withdraw with the insurance? I'm sure you still have some time. Personally I have had tendon issues in the past and some go away quickly. Some slowly. I think the best thing to do is wait for your doctor to evaluate it. You might know he's going to say stay off it, but you don't know how long. I'm sure a little extra swimming wouldn't hurt any triathlete's training
2018-07-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?

Getting an assessment from the doctor is a great idea to know for sure what's going on.  On the optimistic side, hopefully some PT or ART (if you have someone in your area) could make your injury happy again fairly quickly and you'd still be able to do your race.  Best wishes to you!

2018-08-04 1:22 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Veteran
2297
2000100100252525
Great White North
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Refund?
2018-08-04 6:26 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image


127
10025
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Any update on what the doctor said? Hoping for the best for you.


2018-08-04 10:49 AM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Champion
7595
50002000500252525
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?

If you have to stay off it for a week or even two, it isn't a huge deal, providing you can come back and do some decent running in mid to late August.  Assuming you are currently on track, you won't lose much fitness in 1-2 weeks, and you can add bike training and even pool running.  (Pool running is about as exciting as mowing the lawn but it helps a lot to maintain fitness when you are injured.

Laying off longer than two weeks, this close to race day (and presumably you've got some long runs scheduled during this period), and I'd be worried, unless you have a huge reserve of run experience.  If sub-10 is a the whole point of the race for you (rather than just "It'd be nice..."), I'd reconsider doing the race.

I've done an IM without proper run fitness going in.  It sucks.

2018-08-04 8:11 PM
in reply to: #5246984


2

Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Well got an xray, nothing there then got an mri and he said it for sure looks like tendonitis. Said to stay off for a week ( it would be two weeks after that) and it should go away enough to see if I can run on it. Said if it doesn’t then we can do a cortisone shot.Gave me some strong anti inflammatory to help things go away until then. Besides that he said everything looks normal. I have my normal bike and swim regime, a little more than usual since no running, still going so I’m going to give it until next Monday and if it continues to hurt I’ll ask for the refund back with a doctors note. As far as running experience I would say running is the strongest discipline of the three. I have been training since last November on the run, done a couple half marathons but I know that the full after that bike is going to be a type of pain that is out of this world so I just don’t want to suffer for hours by not running enough. Thank you for al the advice I really appreciate the help guys!
2018-08-04 8:55 PM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Regular
309
100100100
Euless, Texas
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?
Yes, stay off of it until at least your doctor appt.

I never saw a doctor, but had the same thing with my ankle. Toughed it out for a couple of runs, but it hurt so badly I could barely walk. Stopped running for almost 2 months (which absolutely killed me, but at least I could still bike) and it's better now.

No need to push it. And if it's your 1st 140.6, it's great to have a time goal, but I wouldn't pull out of the race just because you don't think you can meet that goal. If you're injury free but not in quite as good of shape as you had planned, at least you can still do it and see what you'll need to work on for the next race.
2018-08-04 9:24 PM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Champion
7595
50002000500252525
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?

Ah this is your first IM.  I'd definitely go, then, unless Doc says you'll just hurt yourself.

Time goal is great and I totally encourage that sort of ambition, but anything can happen in the face of the unknown that is your first IM.  Enjoy the day, pay attention, and even if you don't get the time goal, you will have learned a lot.

2018-08-05 3:58 PM
in reply to: Shox1174

User image

Master
3127
2000100010025
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?

Try some deep water aqua-jogging while you take your break from the running.  I've usually found that helpful when dealing with running-induced "itis" conditions of the leg.  Good luck!



2018-08-06 11:05 PM
in reply to: SevenZulu

User image

Champion
7595
50002000500252525
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Tough decision...need advice?

I agree with ^^ this ^^^.

Water running can maintain a lot of run fitness.  The one thing to watch out for is that while it will maintain a lot of aerobic fitness, and even motion-specific endurance for running (if you do it well), you will be losing resistance to the pounding and the severe eccentric loading that your legs take during running.  It can actually be a two-edged sword because your legs might feel pretty great in your first runs back on the road (that's one edge, the good one), so that you don't realize that you are exceeding the ability of your muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc., to deal with the pounding (that's the other edge, the one that cuts).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tough decision...need advice? Rss Feed