General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with breathing during swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-23 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
PA
Subject: Help with breathing during swim
As I start doing more and more swim routines (starting from scratch as I have never been a swimmer), I can't help but notice that I have serious work to do on my breathing technique during freestyle swimming. After about 100M, I can't seem to catch my breath and I end up alternating between breast stroke and freestyle to help myself regain composure. Any advice for ways to improve? Have any of you ever used a swim snorkle?

Thanks!

2004-07-23 10:25 AM
in reply to: #39798

Champion
Subject: RE: Help with breathing during swim

I'm strictly a left-side breather.  I used to try and get by breathing on every 4th stroke, but during a race I found I wasn't getting enough oxygen to maintain my pace.  I've since switched to breathing on each pair instead, and it's much better.  I find that during training, it takes me about 12 laps of the pool or around 300 meters before I've gotten settled into a rhythm.  I need to start out at a slower pace and try and build from there after about 1/4 mile.  If I go out too quickly, I find I go anaerobic and have difficulty recovering, as well as displaying the same symptoms you mentioned.  Try slowing the initial pace down to something you can handle.  You might want to do swims in a negative-split fashion, i.e., going faster towards the end instead.

Max

2004-07-23 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

I am also a left side only breather. Both side breathing is ideal if you can. I also breathe on every stroke. It helps me keep a rhythm going and I don't get so panicky because I'm running out of breath. It's best for breathing to build a rhythm. You need to feel as comfortable breathing in the water as you are breathing out of it. That usually means slowing down. I know that this may sound countertuitive to racing but you will never be fast if you don't get a good breathing rhythm down. Relax. Slow down. And get a breathing rhythm you feel comfortable with. Try just practicing breathing. It is extremely diffuclt to breathe while swimming. Our lungs are used to getting an exchange of O2 for CO2 frequently, multiple times every 10 seconds. But when you're swimming you're holding the CO2 in much longer than normal, and that can wreak havoc with your breathing system. So it's important to perfect water breathing before you start racing or going fast. It's ok to go slow at first. The best thing about swimming is that you can gradually get faster much more rapidly than other sports. Keep at it. And Good luck.

Ovetta.

Ovetta.

2004-07-23 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
I know that this may sound countertuitive to racing but you will never be fast if you don't get a good breathing rhythm down. Relax. Slow down. And get a breathing rhythm you feel comfortable with. Try just practicing breathing.

I agree with Ovetta....just take your time, find your pace and rhythym....

remember the swim isn't about going balls to the walls and a super fast stroke..it's about efficiency in the water, using as few strokes as possible to pull yourself through....

2004-07-23 2:48 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Some drills I do are to just swim across the pool (25 meters) without breathing or breathing once. Getting used to doing more with less. I've found that I don't breathe as often now, every six to eight strokes is the norm for me when doing 200's and 400's. This may not be the right way, but it has worked for me.
2004-07-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #39838

User image

Veteran
PA
Thanks for the advice. I suspected that breathing on both sides may be easier, but I'm sure that will take plenty of practice getting used to. I'll try to slow down and see how it goes.

2004-07-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #39952

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis, MO
Subject: Breathing is easier if...
1) you pick a cadence that allows you to not go anaerobic(sp?)

2) KEY: you begin breathing out right after you return your face to the water. Some coaches have students hum or try to whistle underwater. The goal of this is to COMPLETELY empty your lungs before it is time for the next breath. If you don't, CO2 will gradually build up in parts of your lungs. It is your body's reaction to this buildup that leaves you feeling out of breath - not the lack of O2.

3) What works in workouts does not always work on race day. I have been working on bi-lat breathing since Feb. and when the gun goes off I breathe left only. When I ask my coach about this he says "do whatever keeps you comfortable" during the race. The bi-lat training has helped in sighting as from time to time I can sneak a breath to the right to verify my line to the next buoy.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Edited by Tri-Wog StL 2004-07-23 4:16 PM
2004-07-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: #39959

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Breathing is easier if...
Funny thing about my left-side breathing.....afterwards my left ear is completely clogged w/ water and almost painful and I had to resort to a 'swimmers ear' medication. That has helped me to bilaterally breathe as much as possible!

Tony
2004-07-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: #39959

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Breathing is easier if...
Paul, good tip on the humming and totally releasing the air from your lungs. I tried it this morn and swam furthur than ever, did not feel out of breath, and kept a good rhythm.

Thanks!

Tony
"I take the road less traveled"
2004-07-25 11:37 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
I have struggled with the same thing, and the more I swim, one salient fact sticks with me. You will not win a tri in the swim, but you can lose it. Train the way you plan to race. Race day will not be the day to try new breathing techniques. Now that I know this, I've found a few things that work for me:
1) I breathe only on my right side, and typically on every right-stroke. This is actually ok!
2) I've had to learn to control my starting speed. By concentrating on form for the first 100 yards (or so), I can now finish 500 without feeling out of breath. Less is definitely more here; less speed = MUCH more distance.
3) The pull buoy has worked well for helping my arm stroke, and the kickboard has helped some for improving my kick. I've found that an occasional workout with these items helps quite a bit, but I purposely try to do more drills without any supporting items, so that I don't come to rely on them for technique. Technique is much more valuable during the swim, than say on the bike.
4) Water is a serious resistance factor: slow, aerobic-type swims will help your endurance for all three disciplines. Biking or running into the wind is tough, but swimming through water is really tough!

When I first started serious swim-workouts, I wanted OUT of that water! I'd try to speed through my workouts, and I went from 25 yards to 50, and I'd have to rest for a minute or more. Now, I just try to keep a good form, and I don't worry about the people next to me, and I can do 500 without too much problem. I still resort to the backstroke a little bit, but I'm MUCH closer to my goal. In fact, I will start pushing the distance for the next couple of weeks, with an end goal of 750.

Good luck - keep working on technique, and the rest will fall into place soon enough.
2004-07-26 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
PA
Thanks again for all the great advice to my post! I tried a few things over the weekend and found that slowing things down was a HUGE help. It felt awkward at first, and likely will for the next few sessions, but once I slowed down and tried to concentrate on form and breathing, I was able to go farther than any of my previous workouts.

2004-07-26 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Congrats on progress Mike. Did I read that right where you are from "Bermuda?" The swimming there must be awesome!
2004-07-26 12:05 PM
in reply to: #40397

User image

Veteran
PA
You got it right Ovetta, I do live in Bermuda. The open water swims are great, but if the wind kicks up and it gets too rough, it's pretty tough to find a pool (water is a prized commodity on the island).....but I can't complain!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help with breathing during swim Rss Feed