BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-21 6:51 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Got my 4 mile run in, with avg HR at 136 - so I'll call that a win in the 'HR under 140' target

Got my schedule for the weekend.  Short trainer ride tomorrow night, longish run Saturday afternoon (taking my daughter to theater class in the am), long bike Sunday morning.  I'm so completely psyched for the long bike ride I can't even tell you.  Getting my saddle situation sorted, and having my longest ride ever all on a bike path last weekend, and now I want to ride every day...

2019-02-21 7:21 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey, everyone.  Been off the grid (again) for a bit.  My father-in-law passed away on the 9th so we've been dealing with the arrangements and untying the financials/legal stuff.  Also jacked up my back - woke up really stiff and then went through my usual training session and I've been a mess since.  Feeling a little better today.  I've been on the trainer a few times so I'm not going completely crazy.  Traveling to TX next week and my boss and I are going to drop-in at a masters practice, you know, the kind I haven't been to in almost four years.  LOL

States for my daughter is tomorrow - two hours of driving and 90 minutes of sitting around for just over a minute of swimming.  She just bought a really nice tech suit so she's hoping to come in around 1:02ish. 

And may daughter channel her inner-nicole tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha oh she is way faster than me!
2019-02-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
HI All:

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted. As I may have mentioned back in January, I lost my job so I've been busy trying to find a replacement.

For the past several years, I have been turning from a fairly fit human being into a 290 pound blob. I need to make some big changes if I'm going to do the Dopey with Scott next January. Right now, I can barely walk a mile but I got out there today and did just that at the Y.

I'm gonna make it my goal for the next week to work out two days and then take a day off. We shall see if that happens.

Hope you all are well!
2019-02-22 12:14 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

DeLand, Florida

Dave!  Always great to see your smiling face on here.  

Two days on one day off is what I did in January to get myself off the couch and back into activity.  Worked great, as long as I didn't beat myself up if I occasionally let life get in the way of that schedule.  It's offseason so it's all base mileage

Keep up the good work and keep posting in here!

2019-02-22 1:19 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
DQ, great to hear from you! Definitely keep checking in, even if you miss. We are here to support and motivate you!
2019-02-23 8:46 AM

User image

Dave, no need to be sorry. Glad your back.

Is Gretchen still with us? Did the crud get her?!

One week I on my training plan, so far so good. Only missed a swim yesterday. Being my weakest event, I know I should be making an extra effort, but it's also going to be the hardest to find time for workouts.

2019-02-23 9:47 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 Only missed a swim yesterday. Being my weakest event, I know I should be making an extra effort, but it's also going to be the hardest to find time for workouts.

Once I get back to swimming, the good and the bad for me for scheduling those workouts is the Y (where I'll most likely be swimming) has good lap swim hours from 5-7 am on weekdays, and not good pretty much all the rest of the time.  So I'll be able to have swim workouts during the week as I please - as long as I drag my butt out of bed before sunrise.  Not sure how the Y fits with your training plans Riles but if there is one it's probably open for lap swim at some crazy hour that fits into a schedule.

2019-02-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: #5255559

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I’m still here (thanks for checking!). The crud still has me. Plus, I’ve been at a conference all week. Or, I should say I’ve been in a hotel room mos of the week not attending the conference I flew half way across the country for. I can’t wait for Monday to come—dr appt!! I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for one in my life.
2019-02-24 7:10 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I was a waste this weekend. Need to get back on track!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2019-02-24 8:14 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

^So my trainer ride Friday didn't happen, didn't feel well at all.

My Saturday 6 mile run got shortened to 4 because I still didn't feel well (and because it was 85 degrees - unseasonably warm even for here)

BUT Sunday - I got up 1.5 hours before sunrise to hit a bike trail launch point an hour's drive away at sunup.  AND I pushed that ride to well into my longest ever, 40 miles.  I know that's not much for you Ironmen, but for us Sprinters, it's significant.  And I had 900ft of elevation gain - not a mountain but a lot more than I thought was possible in Central FL!

(Riles I did the West Orange from Clarcona Horseman's Park right past Killarney Station onto the South Lake Trail out to Pinecrest Academy (no idea where that even is) and back.  Downtown Winter Garden is really nice!!)

2019-02-24 8:16 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

HI All:

Sorry, it's been a while since I've posted....

Hey, DQ, good to see you back.

Good luck with your plan moving forward. Make sure you report back with how it goes, even if it's not totally to plan, check back in and get some support.

Hope it goes well.

2019-02-24 8:31 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So the last week for me was fairly uneventful.

1 swim,
2 rides (a return commute)
4 runs, 1 tempo, 2 easy, 1 long

For a touch over 4 hours for the week.

The highlight for the week would have to be my long run on Saturday. Unfortunately my friend I run with felt a pain in his knee with 2km left to run and decided to walk the rest of they way back to the cars, so I was left on my own for the last 2 out of 12km. So i decided to try and add a little speed work, and change from long run, to long run fast finish. I ran the last 1.5km of my longest training run in 2 years at tempo pace. To be fair I was just hanging on by the time I finished, but I did manage to finish it.

It's a small thing, but there is no way I would have been able to do that a few months ago, so another sign that I'm making progress again.

It looks like I'm going to have a few days away for work this week. So probably will have a few days off, but I'll be sure to bring my running shoes with me.
2019-02-26 7:52 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Good job everyone!!

Good to see you DQ! How you doin' on the new schedule?

I'm officially back at it this morning after over a week off. I went to the dr yesterday and after an unpleasant few moments of him cramming things up my nose, I can breathe out of it again...at least temporarily. Sadly, the more permanent fix requires sinus surgery, which is scheduled for March 21. Good news is that I can continue training through the recovery--bike and walk immediately, run after 3-4 days, swim after a week--so I won't lose much training time. Goodness knows I've already lost enough time to this illness!! Bonus good news is that if the surgery goes well, doc thinks it will improve my aerobic performance!!! Better than buying a new set a race wheels! :P

On tap for today: 30' slow run a little later when it warms up to 60F (!!!) and a swim. I'm ready to get back to moving.
2019-02-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: #5255839

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Done with those two workouts! I even accidentally did 115% of the swim because I can’t count. :D
2019-02-26 3:16 PM

User image

Gretchen, welcome back to the land of the living! That's good-ish news about the surgery.

Andrew, take the small wins, some days that's all we get. =)

John, I could have waved to you from my house! (If we cut down a couple of trees & flattened a couple of houses...) Only a short 7 miles away fro Pine Crest you could have been at the top of Florida, Sugarloaf Mt. (I don't think its technically a mountain)

Ive been feeling like crud since Sunday night. It never fails that if I do a fresh water OWS, my sinuses go crazy. A couple of days of allergy medicine and I'm back to OK. Still got a lunch run in yesterday & an hour trainer ride. Shortened a 50 min run to 40 min today, and squeezed it in on my lunch break.
2019-02-26 3:32 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - I'm with Riles - the small victories are great!  Great job finishing strong.

Gretchen - welcome back and with a bang!  Bummer about sinus surgery but if it fits in the training plan best to get it done!

Riles - you've got me thinking.  I could stretch that same ride out over a half century AND hit the highest natural point in FL?  That would rock!

Also - is the sinus issue after freshwater OWS a seasonal thing or is it year round?  And do you have pollen allergies?  Just thinking about how long pollen season is here in FL and how pollen collects on the surface of freshwater...

2019-02-26 3:35 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yesterday was my planned off day, I got some lawn work in (though the grass is still only half mowed...grr....).

Today I'm chucking my run in favor of a trainer ride, it's raining.  No lightning or anything I'm just rearranging this week for comfort.  It's offseason and I can do that.

Bike is running great, the newly taped handlebars are a treat!  Next up will be getting over my fear of swapping out the crankset so I can finally get on 'compact' gearing.  This way I won't be granny-gearing it so badly up even the slightest of hills....

(Felt AR3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Felt AR3.jpg (317KB - 5 downloads)
2019-02-27 9:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by firebert

Riles - you've got me thinking.  I could stretch that same ride out over a half century AND hit the highest natural point in FL?  That would rock!

Also - is the sinus issue after freshwater OWS a seasonal thing or is it year round?  And do you have pollen allergies?  Just thinking about how long pollen season is here in FL and how pollen collects on the surface of freshwater...

I haven't done Sugarloaf yet, so I can't recommend if a half century with Sugarloaf would be a good idea.

Allergy season in Florida is about 13 out of 12 months per year. My OWS allergy issues seem to be year round, but are definitely worse in spring. I don't normally have allergies except some times when the oak pollen is really bad. This time of year the oak pollen can get so bad that it's not unusual for roads & parked cars to turn yellow/green.
2019-02-27 9:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! I haven't done much tri training this week, but I had vball Monday night, football last night, and boot camp this morning, which DESTROYED me (in the best way). Getting back in the pool tomorrow after almost 2 week. Might try to get a run in tomorrow evening or Friday morning too. Definitely one of those times, but depends on weather and motivation after work tomorrow.
2019-02-27 10:00 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour trainer ride followed by 30' brick run and IT Band exercises. I don't have IT band issues, but coach wants to make sure to keep it that way! A little rough after the brick, but done and I'm happy about that.

I'm really happy to see my BT calendar turning orange again. Anyone else motivated on occasion to do the workout just so your calendar won't be messed up?
2019-02-27 11:33 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by firebert

Yesterday was my planned off day, I got some lawn work in (though the grass is still only half mowed...grr....).

Today I'm chucking my run in favor of a trainer ride, it's raining.  No lightning or anything I'm just rearranging this week for comfort.  It's offseason and I can do that.

Bike is running great, the newly taped handlebars are a treat!  Next up will be getting over my fear of swapping out the crankset so I can finally get on 'compact' gearing.  This way I won't be granny-gearing it so badly up even the slightest of hills....

That is one awesome looking bike!

2019-02-27 12:12 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I'm really happy to see my BT calendar turning orange again. Anyone else motivated on occasion to do the workout just so your calendar won't be messed up?

That's a great way to stay motivated - immediate visual representation for activity!  It prompted me to look at mine which made me realize I hadn't logged any workouts in a week.  So thanks!

2019-02-27 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hour trainer ride followed by 30' brick run and IT Band exercises. I don't have IT band issues, but coach wants to make sure to keep it that way! A little rough after the brick, but done and I'm happy about that. I'm really happy to see my BT calendar turning orange again. Anyone else motivated on occasion to do the workout just so your calendar won't be messed up?

Not quite motivated, but it does look better! How is the saddle going?

I managed 6.3 miles home along a canal and disused railway line which was fun as we randomly are warm and sunny at the moment! It is all back to normal this weekend when I want to get out on my road bike...boo! 

Had some fab news in work: someone I used to work with who was a nightmare, and who went to work for an agency we use and maintained nightmare status at a distance is being banished - we aren't using that agency from May 

I really want to get pizza and crack open some beers to celebrate! Any words of wisdom to get me to pause the yay until Friday when I can have a treat day?

Piccies from where I rode today btw:

Image result for harborne walkway

Edited by sappho96 2019-02-27 12:18 PM
2019-02-27 12:15 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by sappho96

That is one awesome looking bike!

Thanks   It's done me very well so far, keeps me motivated to ride which is great!  Also - looking at this pic made me realize my saddle is tilted forward.  I used a level when I put it on so this was not intentional.  Either way I need to fix it a bit.

2019-02-27 12:18 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Sappho that ride looks wonderful.  I love great bike trails!!

No great tips on motivation for willpower on not having the bad foods now, I'm miserable at that.  Only thing I'm good at is adding workout time to counteract any indiscretions...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7921 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 955 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa