BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-01-07 10:10 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1:45 trainer ride today (as I watched the Chargers beat the Ravens!) followed by a short 20’ brick run. Both felt pretty good. I just found out that I can't put my hub based powermeter on my 11 speed tri bike. So...I'm in the market for a new power meter (ouch!). Anyone have any insight? I'm thinking crank based, but don't have my heart set yet. Thoughts on left only? It is so much more economical.

Two things:

RE:  Chargers/Ravens - I'm not talking to you! 

RE:  hub-based PM...why not?  10 speed only hub?

I'm also not talking to you! That game was hard to watch...

2019-01-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #5253500

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sorry Baltimore crew—my wife was born in SD and grew up a Chargers fan. I just adopted them when we got together because I really didn’t have a team after the rams left St. Louis.

Hour trainer ride today doing 95% FTP intervals. Two weeks without a rest day is starting to take its toll. This was a rough workout.

2019-01-07 9:38 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

It's all badly played rugby to me... =P

I probably should have done a structured trainer ride tonight but I got a new bike computer for my birthday & it's more fun playing with it. So now I'm at a Wawa 12 mi into a 24 mi ride. =)
2019-01-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807 It's all badly played rugby to me... =P I probably should have done a structured trainer ride tonight but I got a new bike computer for my birthday & it's more fun playing with it. So now I'm at a Wawa 12 mi into a 24 mi ride. =)

An outdoor ride - good for you.  And new toys - YAY!!  Where are you located?

2019-01-08 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well my chest cold has turned into bronchitis with a side of a throat infection.  And the antibiotics are giving my tummy fits.  Good times here!! 

2019-01-08 8:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Well my chest cold has turned into bronchitis with a side of a throat infection.  And the antibiotics are giving my tummy fits.  Good times here!! 

Oh no, feel better!!!!!

2019-01-08 8:54 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Swim Squad* practice this morning was solid. Got in 2400 yds and felt relatively strong considering I haven't done much in weeks. Also had volleyball last night. Kind of hurt my hip but it seems to be better this morning. Feels good to be getting back into my routine!

*Swim Squad is a group of my masters teammates who started swimming together when the pool at the gym that Mike and I belong to reopened. We started meeting as a group, and we became bigger than the masters program, so they gave us dedicated lanes and let us call it Swim Squad (we were confusing other members who thought we were the masters team). It's a member run practice so we welcome any new people but have 11 people who attend at least intermittently (but mostly regularly).
2019-01-08 1:32 PM

User image

@ Mike: I'm in Central FL, just outside Orlando. My idea of "cold" weather gear is wearing two long sleeves & a beanie. I hit a possum! I zigged, it zagged.. and thump! Poor thing wandered off into the bushes.

Hope you feel better.

@Nicole: Your swim squad sounds like fun. I did my first group swim this past weekend (only 3 of us) and it so much more fun than solo.
2019-01-09 8:56 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

@ Mike: I'm in Central FL, just outside Orlando. My idea of "cold" weather gear is wearing two long sleeves & a beanie. I hit a possum! I zigged, it zagged.. and thump! Poor thing wandered off into the bushes.

Hope you feel better.

@Nicole: Your swim squad sounds like fun. I did my first group swim this past weekend (only 3 of us) and it so much more fun than solo.

1) I hope you and the possum are both okay! That would be scary!

2) Yes, solo swimming is definitely not nearly as fun! And I get such a better workout in when I'm swimming with others. By myself I am lazy
2019-01-09 8:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to boot camp this morning. It kicked my butt, as it always does, but especially since I haven't gone in probably a month. It's gonna be a long day!
2019-01-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey all

You got room for someone from the other side of the pond? 

NAME: Jackie/ Sappho the red

STORY: I did one super-sprint tri years ago but now mainly just cycle (i do venture into swimming pools but mainly with my 8 year old niece - ie i am great at jumping in and playing hide the cap!)

FAMILY STATUS: Happily single (Sue Perkins, Gillian Anderson and Cate Blanchett don't appear to live locally!) and a proud auntie

CURRENT TRAINING: I am wanting to finally achieve my turning 40 resolution (41 now - haha) of riding 40 miles in one go on my road bike. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: From the traffic lights before the idiot in the bmw/mercedes/audi thinks they can squeeze past me in a teeny tiny gap! And from silly dogs that think my ankles look tasty when i cycle past them!

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS/WEIGHTLOSS: Ride 40 miles in one go; lose enough weight to look good at my cousins wedding (ie fit into my smart trousers!). I want to initially get to 169, then hit 167 (under 12 stone in English weight loss language) and then 165 as a stopping off point. Eventually 159 i think looks good and would get my BMI in the correct bracket. 

BEER: If I am in the pub watching Liverpool win i tend to stick to Stella Artois. Proper ales i like things like Pure Gold https://puritybrewing.com/beers/pure-gold/) and Longhorn IPA (https://puritybrewing.com/beers/longhorn-ipa/) - both from a local brewery  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I can teach you all weird English idioms/spellings; I post at weird times to keep you entertained/confused and I support the Patriots/Red Sox (blame DK (en ex bt'er) for taking me to Fenway when i visited Boston) so am up for some NFL banter and therefore like Samuel Adams Boston Lager Image result for samuel adams boston lager

Edited by sappho96 2019-01-09 3:49 PM

2019-01-10 6:43 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Sappho!

Patriots fan? I’m not so sure about that! Especially since they’re playing my chargers this weekend!

I got up early and went for a run this morning. I’ve been in bed sick as a dog for the last two days. This run was too soon!!! Should have stayed in bed asleep for an extra hour. It was awful. So much snot.
2019-01-10 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Welcome Sappho! Patriots fan? I’m not so sure about that! Especially since they’re playing my chargers this weekend! I got up early and went for a run this morning. I’ve been in bed sick as a dog for the last two days. This run was too soon!!! Should have stayed in bed asleep for an extra hour. It was awful. So much snot.

yeah - and you have two Ravens fans on this team here so them's fighin' words!!

Welcome to the group!  We have another Euro on our team here from Spain, so the two of you can post back and forth while we're all asleep here in the US.

2019-01-10 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Still have the cold from hell here, it has now moved to my head.  I've slept about 8 hours total the last three nights.  Haven't been this ill in years. 

OK, pity party over.  Staying off the exercise equipment for the time being until this heads the other way.

2019-01-10 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Welcome Sappho! Patriots fan? I’m not so sure about that! Especially since they’re playing my chargers this weekend! I got up early and went for a run this morning. I’ve been in bed sick as a dog for the last two days. This run was too soon!!! Should have stayed in bed asleep for an extra hour. It was awful. So much snot.

I hear ya, sister. 

2019-01-10 9:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Welcome to the group!  We have another Euro on our team here from Spain, so the two of you can post back and forth while we're all asleep here in the US.

Are we sure we have more room in the group? I don't know...(Hi, I'm the other Ravens fan )

2019-01-10 9:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to bed way too late last night and missed swim squad this morning. Only one person showed...#fail.

Going to the PA farm show early tomorrow morning and will be eating wonderfully horrible food all day tomorrow (milkshakes, fried cheese, fried veggies, etc), but plan on going to masters practice Saturday morning to burn it all off!
2019-01-10 3:28 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e

Are we sure we have more room in the group? I don't know...(Hi, I'm the other Ravens fan )

lol! Actually I would love to visit Baltimore as my favourite author, Anne Tyler, is from there and sets most of her books there. Also I've thought of another reason I can't help being a pats fan - Liverpool FC are owned by the owners of the Red Sox. If you are bean town, you are bean town into the NFL!  Not for ice hockey though as I adore penguins so I lurch east to Philly then!

Exciting beer news this w/e i will be trying to new ales called Pale Brummie and Golden Brummie

Pale Brummie Beer Pump Clip and Gold Brummie Beer Pump Clip

I will report back!

2019-01-10 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
NAME: Bullfrog/Andrew

STORY: I'm Andrew, from New Zealand, I lost weight and did something athletic (Half Marathon) for the first time in 2009, my weight and fitness levels have yo-yoed up and down since then. Currently not at a good level for either. Over the years I've done a dozen sprint Tris, 1 Oly, 3 70.3s and 1 full Ironman.

I was a previous member of this group 2 years ago, in the build up to my Ironman. But fatherhood, and the lack of free time for training caused me to drift away. Well, over Christmas Mrs Bullfrog asked if I wanted to do another Ironman before we think about baby number 2. And you can't say no when your spouse asks a question like that, so here I am, back again. It's a long term plan, but very lightly penciled in is IronmanNZ in March 2020. We will be making a call whether or not to go for it around the middle of the year, depending on how my fitness/weight can improve.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a spoiled dog, and an 18 month old boy

CURRENT TRAINING: Spent the last year and a half (since our Son was born) running with the dog (and sometimes baby in stroller), only casually, when life allowed, Haven't rode my bike or swum since the little monster was born. A run focus will continue for at least the first 1/2 of the year, but am now following a training program and looking to be more consistent and make some decent gains. Also plan to add 1 or 2 weekly swims and some bike commuting to ease myself back into multi sport mode.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Currently booked and paid for:

10 February, Coatsville Half Marathon

17 March, Maraetai Half Marathon

14 April, Waterfront Half Marathon

30 June, Wellington Half Marathon

Probably 1 or 2 more HM's to be added, and maybe a sprint Tri at the end of the year.

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: Lose 35+kg, Set a Half Marathon PB, Get fit enough to begin Ironman training by the end of the year, don't spend too long injured.

WEIGHTLOSS: Probably only 100lbs to lose... No seriously.
2019-01-11 5:09 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog NAME: Bullfrog/Andrew STORY: I'm Andrew, from New Zealand, I lost weight and did something athletic (Half Marathon) for the first time in 2009, my weight and fitness levels have yo-yoed up and down since then. Currently not at a good level for either. Over the years I've done a dozen sprint Tris, 1 Oly, 3 70.3s and 1 full Ironman. I was a previous member of this group 2 years ago, in the build up to my Ironman. But fatherhood, and the lack of free time for training caused me to drift away. Well, over Christmas Mrs Bullfrog asked if I wanted to do another Ironman before we think about baby number 2. And you can't say no when your spouse asks a question like that, so here I am, back again. It's a long term plan, but very lightly penciled in is IronmanNZ in March 2020. We will be making a call whether or not to go for it around the middle of the year, depending on how my fitness/weight can improve. FAMILY STATUS: Married with a spoiled dog, and an 18 month old boy CURRENT TRAINING: Spent the last year and a half (since our Son was born) running with the dog (and sometimes baby in stroller), only casually, when life allowed, Haven't rode my bike or swum since the little monster was born. A run focus will continue for at least the first 1/2 of the year, but am now following a training program and looking to be more consistent and make some decent gains. Also plan to add 1 or 2 weekly swims and some bike commuting to ease myself back into multi sport mode. THIS YEAR'S RACES: Currently booked and paid for: 10 February, Coatsville Half Marathon 17 March, Maraetai Half Marathon 14 April, Waterfront Half Marathon 30 June, Wellington Half Marathon Probably 1 or 2 more HM's to be added, and maybe a sprint Tri at the end of the year. UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: Lose 35+kg, Set a Half Marathon PB, Get fit enough to begin Ironman training by the end of the year, don't spend too long injured. WEIGHTLOSS: Probably only 100lbs to lose... No seriously.

what beer do you like bullfrog?????????

2019-01-11 7:07 AM
in reply to: #5253666

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome back, Andrew!!

Scheduled off day for me. Still sick, so I need it. Currently laying in bed debating the usefulness of getting up and trying to do some housework. Sleep might win though.

2019-01-11 8:13 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Welcome back, Andrew!! Scheduled off day for me. Still sick, so I need it. Currently laying in bed debating the usefulness of getting up and trying to do some housework. Sleep might win though.

sleep ALWAYS wins over housework

2019-01-11 6:12 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Hey welcome Andrew & anyone else I've missed.

Been kinda lazy this week. I've kept up my lunch runs but haven't been doing much else. Planning to bike commute to work tomorrow morning to finish up a couple things that didn't get done this week, about 20 mi round trip, can easily extend to 25.
2019-01-12 12:42 AM
in reply to: #5253746

User image

, Vermont
Hello! Welcome Riles!

Well, got a couple of short workouts in on Monday and Tuesday before work. Wednesday I had to ride along on a delivery truck and deliver packages all day. Let me tell you, that’s no joke. Those folks just their butts. I am calling that a workout for Wednesday. Wow. Thursday we had class all day and a working dinner that night and I am whipped. Had class today and too tired to hit the gym this morning from a crazy week. Slept in to 06:00. They’re getting a few inches of snow here in Louisville tomorrow and funny thing is, when classmates saw my VT license plates and studded snow tires, I have suddenly become the class best friend.. lots of driving folks around to various appointments tomorrow since apparently no one here knows how to drive in snow. ??
Hoping to get some kind of trainer ride in after that in the afternoon.
2019-01-12 3:50 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Originally posted by aviatrix802
apparently no one here knows how to drive in snow. ??

Be safe, I'm sure YOU won't have a problem with a couple of inches. Its anyone else on the road that I'd be worried about.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7891 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 951 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa