BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-10-26 5:15 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

So, if I haven't confused everyone, the first semi final tomorrow is between the 2 best teams in the world. Who both want to play a fast attacking game. It should be a good watch.

It was an EPIC watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Andrew but wtf?!? Still in shock!!!!!

2019-10-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: #5263552

User image

, Vermont
Yay, Gretchen! Glad you made it safe and sound and look forward to keeping each other accountable in the coming many months!!
2019-10-28 9:43 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Training season is officially back! Coach started my run focused block this morning with a threshold test. OMG...I hate those things! 9' in I nearly vomited, but didn't. I think that means I did it right. Followed it up with about 15' of yoga, which I'm trying to incorporate a lot so I don't get tight and hurt myself with all this running. I also brought my roller stick, but to be honest, I haven't got the foggiest clue what to do with it. Do I really just roll it over (pressing hard) my muscles? That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't know.

Anyway--looks like everyone is doing well!
2019-10-28 9:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove  I also brought my roller stick, but to be honest, I haven't got the foggiest clue what to do with it. Do I really just roll it over (pressing hard) my muscles? That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I don't know. Anyway--looks like everyone is doing well!

More or less, yes. Not all muscles, just the ones with the knots in them.  For me it was always IT bands and calves where I'd find the bad spots.  I've found with the stick sometimes it's difficult to get leverage, and those are the spots I end up using the foam roller since you can do more with body weight on it.

2019-10-28 3:03 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96

So, if I haven't confused everyone, the first semi final tomorrow is between the 2 best teams in the world. Who both want to play a fast attacking game. It should be a good watch.

It was an EPIC watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Andrew but wtf?!? Still in shock!!!!!

I'm not sure that I enjoyed that as much as you did...

England were magnificent. But as good as they were we were equally bad. I can not remember an All Blacks team failing to cope with pressure that badly. We should have been down 25 points by half time, not 10.

It is a sad end to one of the most dominant eras of All Black rugby.

Now, my wife and inlaws are South African, so I have no choice. Go England for the final! (And yes, it hurts to say that)
2019-10-28 3:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Week 3 of Ironman training in the books. And going mostly OK hit all my workouts this week.

M: 40 minute Interval Run
Tu: 50 min Z2 bike
W: 60 min Z2 bike
Th: 30 min easy run
F: 60 min bike, 45@Z2, last 15@Z3
Sat: 85 min long run
Sun: 75 min Z2 bike, with 12 x 30 sec Z5 efforts.

plus last weekends workouts, and Mondays run = 10 day streak of SBR workouts.

Unfortunately the pool is still 2 weeks away from opening, hence no swimming.

This week, should be similar to last. Other than having 1 night away for work. I'll be bringing my running shoes with me, but you never know how late I'll be onsite. So 50:50 I get to use them.

2019-10-29 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove
I also brought my roller stick, but to be honest, I haven't got the foggiest clue what to do with it. Do I really just roll it over (pressing hard) my muscles? That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Hi Gretchen: Long time, no talk!

While I hate my foam roller (hate is too soft a word), it has been the number one thing to help me stave off injuries.

Here's a good article I found on how runners can use foam rollers to their benefit. https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20812623/how-to-use-a-...

Hope it helps!

DQ
2019-10-29 10:53 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by drfoodlove I also brought my roller stick, but to be honest, I haven't got the foggiest clue what to do with it. Do I really just roll it over (pressing hard) my muscles? That's what I've been doing, but it doesn't seem to change anything.
Hi Gretchen: Long time, no talk! While I hate my foam roller (hate is too soft a word), it has been the number one thing to help me stave off injuries. Here's a good article I found on how runners can use foam rollers to their benefit. https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20812623/how-to-use-a-... Hope it helps! DQ

OK, Dave.  You can't just come do a drive-by like that.  How are you?

2019-10-29 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Week 3 of Ironman training in the books. And going mostly OK hit all my workouts this week. M: 40 minute Interval Run Tu: 50 min Z2 bike W: 60 min Z2 bike Th: 30 min easy run F: 60 min bike, 45@Z2, last 15@Z3 Sat: 85 min long run Sun: 75 min Z2 bike, with 12 x 30 sec Z5 efforts. plus last weekends workouts, and Mondays run = 10 day streak of SBR workouts. Unfortunately the pool is still 2 weeks away from opening, hence no swimming. This week, should be similar to last. Other than having 1 night away for work. I'll be bringing my running shoes with me, but you never know how late I'll be onsite. So 50:50 I get to use them.

Nice work.  Probably don't need to worry about the swim, it'll come back quickly.

2019-10-29 11:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm into week 2 of the Prep phase of my bike-racing-but-still-pretending-to-be-a-triathlete plan, though like Andrew I didn't get in any swims last week.  However, unlike Andrew, I don't have an excuse. 

Week 1 was really easy, focusing on getting on the bike more often (5x/week), for a total of 3 hours.  Same thing this week with a little more volume and intensity.  Still doing tons of strength, stability and yoga work, too.

Bike project is moving along...I have most of the parts now and everything is loosely put together.  As I an still inept at sending you images you can actually see, I'll just show the stock photo of what it will look like:

I have a fitting session on November 16th and then I'll have the bike shop finish putting it together.

2019-10-29 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone:

For those that don't know me - my name is David (DQ) and I've been away from the group for a long time. My apologies.

After running Boston in 2017, I've done next to no exercise and have watched my weight head toward 300 pounds. To make matters worse, my personal life has exploded with a divorce, a job loss, and the death of both of my parents in the same year. Why tell you this: because those things have been weighing me down to the point where it makes working out next to impossible. Things are lo.oking up though - I did just get a job (at CVS which sucks but at least it's a job).

But I'm trying to get back on the wagon with the hopes that the exercise will not only help me physically but mentally as well. I'm in my 3rd week of working out every other day. I've started to eat better and have lost 6 pounds. I even just had oatmeal for breakfast instead of McDonalds.

Today my plan is to go to the gym and aquajog and swim for 30 minutes. I promise to report back when I get back.

Thanks for the accountability everyone!

DQ

2019-10-29 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Everyone:

For those that don't know me - my name is David (DQ) and I've been away from the group for a long time. My apologies.

After running Boston in 2017, I've done next to no exercise and have watched my weight head toward 300 pounds. To make matters worse, my personal life has exploded with a divorce, a job loss, and the death of both of my parents in the same year. Why tell you this: because those things have been weighing me down to the point where it makes working out next to impossible. Things are lo.oking up though - I did just get a job (at CVS which sucks but at least it's a job).

But I'm trying to get back on the wagon with the hopes that the exercise will not only help me physically but mentally as well. I'm in my 3rd week of working out every other day. I've started to eat better and have lost 6 pounds. I even just had oatmeal for breakfast instead of McDonalds.

Today my plan is to go to the gym and aquajog and swim for 30 minutes. I promise to report back when I get back.

Thanks for the accountability everyone!

DQ
2019-10-29 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Hi All:

I went to the gym and got it done. While I had planned on aqua jogging, I decided to bike for 30 minutes. Now I'm eating a little Kung Pao chicken to reward myself. I figure it's better than McDonalds. Oh so good.

Hope everyone has good workouts today and tasty beers tonight.

DQ

2019-10-29 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
PS - All we all set for the switchover to the new BDAS once they archive this page?

Just checking!

DQ
2019-10-29 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 PS - All we all set for the switchover to the new BDAS once they archive this page? Just checking! DQ

They don't archive until the new ones are active, which isn't until roughly Jan 1st.  Gretchen has been handling the admin stuff on it.

2019-10-30 9:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave!! Awesome to see you, man! Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time, but glad to see you back at it. One step at a time!!

Hit #11 & #12 this morning with a run and a yoga session. Looks like my coach wants me running six days a week right now, which is okay with me, as some of them are 15' runs (ugh...why bother putting gear and shoes on for 15'?!?!?!) and we are doing Mafatone again, so S.L.O.W. Will certainly drive me crazy by the end of the season here, but hopefully six weeks of it will show some improvements in my abysmal run.

Anyone know why my auto uploads from Garmin are all one day off? Every one I have uploaded since I arrived in Egypt is posted to the day before. I'm sure it has something to do with the time difference, but it has never happened like this before. I guess it doesn't really matter, it is just weird.

2019-10-30 9:51 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Anyone know why my auto uploads from Garmin are all one day off? Every one I have uploaded since I arrived in Egypt is posted to the day before. I'm sure it has something to do with the time difference, but it has never happened like this before. I guess it doesn't really matter, it is just weird.

Two suggestions on the watch, not sure if either will work.
1. Properly set the new time zone on the computer / device you use for Garmin Connect.
2. Go into your Profile & Account settings on Garmin Connect and set your new "Upload time zone."

It'll help if they're both correct, and maybe help even more if they match.

Dave, good luck with getting back in to it. Keep the accountability by coming back here and posting your workouts - and your diet too. Progress needs to be made in the gym AND in the kitchen. Reward yourself with the post-workout cheat meal once a week not once a day, and you're on the road to a healthier lifestyle.

You ran Boston Marathon - via qualification or charity entry? You can get back there! Boston is my 2020 goal, let's chase the dream together.

RP
2019-10-31 8:18 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen - glad you go to Egypt safe and sound, and I thin Ryan's right on the time zone thing.  Has your Garmin synced with the satellites there?  That should help if it hasn't.

@Dave - welcome back.  You know darn well we'll keep you honest.  And Ryan's right...diet is a huge component of fitness, as is sleep.  Right now my diet isn't all that important but come spring I'll need to lean down considerably to race effectively in crits and road races, much more so than triathlon where once I got my fat azz rolling on a flat course I'd be good to go.

Today was at 5:30 AM swim session and some strength work.  My daughter decided she wanted to go to her club team practice at 0530 now that high school swim team has started.  It's amazing the change in her motivation this year -  VERY focused, shooting for sectionals in the 100 fly.  The workout actually wasn't too bad, slept pretty well and woke up 15 minutes before we usually do and had all of our stuff ready to go and we were early.  The pool doesn't actually open to the public until 5:45 but the coach knows me (I swim all the time when the swim team does) so he let me in early.  First swim workout since my race (so almost two months) actually went OK...about 1200 yards just mixing up strokes.

2019-11-02 12:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Time issue still a thing. Not sure what is causing it. I checked all of my clock settings and nothing changed. It is weird. The upload to TrainingPeaks works fine. It is the BT upload that is funny. Guess it is good my coach uses training peaks.

Run this morning, followed by 15' of yoga. Isn't a lot of yoga, but at least it keeps me moving and is getting me in the routine of doing it right after a run.

2019-11-02 5:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Time issue still a thing. Not sure what is causing it. I checked all of my clock settings and nothing changed. It is weird. The upload to TrainingPeaks works fine. It is the BT upload that is funny. Guess it is good my coach uses training peaks. Run this morning, followed by 15' of yoga. Isn't a lot of yoga, but at least it keeps me moving and is getting me in the routine of doing it right after a run.

That's weird.  Are you uploading directly to BT or having it pull from Garmin Connect?  Is GC correct?  If this persists you might want to have Alice have the developers look at it and see what data is coming in to BT.  In the meantime just pull up the calendar view here and slide the stuff around - at least that's a quick workaround.  

BT also does nothing around strength/yoga and doesn't pull the TrainerRoad or Sufferfest workouts from GC, just stuff directly uploaded from a Garmin device.  So I have to manually do it every dang trainer session.    I wouldn't care but BT is my "single source of truth" for my historical workout data (going on 10 years of it).  Like you, using TP to plan and coach using their ATP features.

Yesterday for me was Bikram and a short trainer ride to fiddle with my bike position and get some aero tolerance (drops and than flat-arm thing the pros do).  Headed to spin class today and will get a little cool down swim in.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  

Oh, and GO RAVENS!!!!!!

2019-11-03 8:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I still don't know what's going on, but thanks for the tip on dragging workouts around in the calendar view, Mike! That'll work for now.

Short run and 15' of yoga this morning. Woke up at 4:15 without an alarm (other than the call to prayer)...back into training rhythm!

2019-11-03 3:53 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Hey all, hope you all had a good w/e I'm back on my bike after a few much needed weeks off (time off for b'day and just not wanting to deal with idiotic drivers). Now on dark commutes (never fun the first few, but strangely peaceful after a while).  It is back to bad traffic next week as the kids return from half-term which is a bit rubbish but I do feel better for exercising and tend to eat cleaner when i commute.

My only exercise this w/e involving drinking guiness and shouting at the rugby (@bulfrog - where we just bad or were the bokke that good?). Next planned longer ride is at the end of the month with a local social group which ends in good coffee and cake!

oh and GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2019-11-04 1:04 PM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Expert
Dave, good luck with getting back in to it. Keep the accountability by coming back here and posting your workouts - and your diet too. Progress needs to be made in the gym AND in the kitchen. Reward yourself with the post-workout cheat meal once a week not once a day, and you're on the road to a healthier lifestyle.

You ran Boston Marathon - via qualification or charity entry? You can get back there! Boston is my 2020 goal, let's chase the dream together.

RP
I ran Boston in 2017 for charity.... and while I loved it - I don't plan on doing it again. In the past 5 years I've raised 25000 bucks from my friends and I've got to figure they are tapped.

Maybe we could do another race. I'd like to find where we we could all get together. Would you be up for that?

DQ
2019-11-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96
My only exercise this w/e involving drinking guiness and shouting at the rugby (@bulfrog - where we just bad or were the bokke that good?).

What an unexpected result. A bit of both I'd say. South Africa's defense was great, and they kicked well to play the game in the right part of the field, But really didn't offer anything on attack. But as good as England were last week, they were poor this week. They looked to have no confidence, or ideas. Passes kept getting dropped, lots basic mistakes. In the semi every bounce of the ball went Englands way, in the final it all went against them. Looked a bit like they played their final last week against NZ. One of the commentators down here described it as 2 teams trying not to lose, no one trying to win. For what it's worth, I think SA's first try was off a forward pass. But, by that stage of the game it didn't change the result.

The worst bit is I now have 4 years of my father in law reminding me who the world champions are. Oh well, it's cricket season now anyway, and we have a 2020 this afternoon.

DQ Hey man, it's been a while. I'm sorry to read about your troubles, you've really had a tough time of it. But it's great you're back, and looking to make some positive changes again. Good luck on your journey, and post lots. Let us help where we can. As for a race to meet up, I hear Ironman New Zealand is pretty good

Me Week 4 of Ironman training is in the books. I did get a run in when I was away, (a hill repeat session, due to the hotel location) But I shouldn't have. The little man brought a tummy bug home from kindy for us. So I suffered through a terrible run (cut short actually) and then had a Thursday off to recover. I also missed Sundays bike, as the little man fell over playing on his playground, 6 hours at the hospital later, he has a broken bone and his arm in a cast. Getting home at 11:30pm doesn't encourage an evening workout.

My week:
M: 30 minute EasyRun
Tu: 40 min Z2 bike
W: 30 min Hill Repeats (should have been 35min)
Th: Off (should have been 60 min cruise interval bike)
F: 90 min bike, 8 x 60 sec Z5 efforts
Sat: 90 min long run
Sun: 15 min easy run (missed 50 min Z2 bike)

On to Week 5, This is the last week with 4 bikes, so should be my biggest week of the year to date.

Edited by bulfrog 2019-11-04 2:11 PM
2019-11-04 10:15 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run and yoga session for me today. Up to #22/100.

DQ--destination race sounds fun. I don't know if I'd make it, given my work travel and all, but we could explore options!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7881 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 949 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa