BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-11-27 9:28 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Got my boot camp in this morning. Up in PA now and have my Turkey Trot tomorrow morning. Feeling great! I was in a fantastic mood after boot camp.

DQ, way to get yours in today! Rain is no fun, but glad you made it happen! Stay strong and get your other two days in!

2019-11-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Riles and Mike, great job to you guys as well! And those pics were great!
2019-11-29 10:48 AM

User image

Did my first Parkrun. That was the family turkey trot. Not my best 5k time at just about an hour, but Garmin awarded me my fastest 1 mile effort from keeping up with my son's sprint/walk for the first half. Lol.

It was too cute, there was another little boy that my son decided to race. He was jogging with his father, and every time they came up behind us, my son would take off at a sprint, then walk once he was gassed. He kept it up until the turnaround, then he was too tired to sprint.

I got my Thursday threshold session in, about an hour with 5x 1 mile repeats. Cooked, baked, and ate way too much. =)

Hope everyone else had a great Turkey Day, even those of you who don't celebrate it.
2019-11-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Had a great Thanksgiving morning with almost two hours at the gym and then ruined all of that work by eating the whole table and drinking about six bottles of wine (I think I'm only slightly exaggerating).  Went to Bikram Friday and let it rip - had a really good session and got most of the Thanksgiving goo out.  The we went to the movies and saw Knives Out - really cool movie (and so funny seeing Chris Evans not playing Captain America, and a jerk to boot LOL).  Swim meet for my daughter today and tomorrow so no more training this week for me.

2019-11-30 2:31 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, all.  Had a great Thanksgiving morning with almost two hours at the gym and then ruined all of that work by eating the whole table and drinking about six bottles of wine (I think I'm only slightly exaggerating). 

Lol, just think of it as extreme recovery fueling. Sounds so much better. =)
2019-12-01 6:05 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Hi, all.  Had a great Thanksgiving morning with almost two hours at the gym and then ruined all of that work by eating the whole table and drinking about six bottles of wine (I think I'm only slightly exaggerating).  Went to Bikram Friday and let it rip - had a really good session and got most of the Thanksgiving goo out.  The we went to the movies and saw Knives Out - really cool movie (and so funny seeing Chris Evans not playing Captain America, and a jerk to boot LOL).  Swim meet for my daughter today and tomorrow so no more training this week for me.

Is that the one with Daniel Craig in? I might watch it once it is available on my telly box package (virgin media here in the uk has a pay as you go type movie part to it). I am off to see Charlie's Angels on Thursday as it has K-Stew in it! On the beer front I am still loving Vermont Hazies  

How did your daughter get on at the swimming? Also belated happy turkey day everyone on  that side of the pond!

2019-12-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Happy belated thanksgiving to you Americans.

I've had a mostly good week, until my half marathon on Sunday, which although I was happy with the result, I rolled my ankle (yes, the same one I fractured last year) about half way through. I tried to be sensible and stopped running, it felt ok, so I started again. Things were ok, until the last couple of kilometers when they started to hurt again, and was quite sore after finishing. So Sunday afternoon was spent on the sofa, leg up, being iced.

Monday morning, it is still sore, but not too bad, I've got it strapped up but I can walk fine, there's no visible signs of swelling or bruising, so hopefully I haven't done anything too bad. The plan is total rest today, swim tomorrow. If all is good on the bike again mid week, and hopefully running by the weekend. If not all good, I could miss a few weeks running and still be ok, but today is 14 weeks till Ironman. If this is going to take 6 weeks to heal (like it did last June) I could be looking at a deferral. so knock on wood I'm running Saturday.

Other than that the week was as good as I could have hoped.

M: Rest, visiting the father in law after operation #3 (which looks like a success at this early stage)
T: 90min bike
W: Travel to australia, 45min easy run
T: 55min Cruise Interval Bike on hotel exercycle
F: Delayed flight home = unplanned rest day
S: 90min bike (should have been 2 hr+ but didn't want to do too much before HM saturday)
S: Half marathon 2:52:28. Slow I know, but it's a deceptively hard course and a 22 min improvement on the same race last year.

Total for the week 7.5 hours. 1st time back to back over 7 hours a week since the little man was born.

And totals for November,
Swim:39m 09s
Bike:15h 45m 01s
Run:10h 52m 01s
Total: 27:16:11

Finally, because Riles is showing off his running pics, heres one from my run in Warnembool (Australia) Wednesday, and a few of my HM on the weekend.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vYvrDV34wL6

(warnembool.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
warnembool.jpg (94KB - 19 downloads)
2019-12-02 9:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Forgot...my November totals.  A good start to Base training:

Swim: 2h 25m 38s - 6350 Yd
Bike: 16h 06m 31s - 266.86 Mi
Run: 2h 12m 21s - 8.68 Mi
Strength: 12h 45m (includes yoga, etc.)

December is Base 2, which is a whole lot of sweet spot and upper tempo work.  I still need to get around to getting my bike fitting, too.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-12-02 11:59 AM
2019-12-03 10:23 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
HI All- I didn't get eaten by wild dogs, just been working my buns off here with little time to fart around on the internet (oh...and I ran out of internet credit for a week, so that didn't help. :P ). Running and yoga continue. Feeling pretty good about the running, just starting to feel like, given enough time, I actually could run a marathon (now to figure out how to swim 2.4 miles and ride 112 miles before doing that!).
2019-12-04 7:04 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  "They" have just opened up 2020 mentor group applications...I'm assuming we want to continue? 

@Gretchen - the last couple of years you've been doing this.  Do you want to go ahead or want one of us to do it?

Got in a couple of decent sessions Monday and Tuesday - 75 min sweet spot (-ish) work on the bike Monday and then a bunch of lower body and core work at gym yesterday.  Today was supposed to be 6 AM Bikram but I had to go get blood drawn for my annual physical so I'll do a bike later.  My daughter has her fall championship swim meet this weekend (3 days' worth) but they have a drop-in gym I plan on hitting up on Saturday. 

2019-12-04 8:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Hey, all.  "They" have just opened up 2020 mentor group applications...I'm assuming we want to continue? 

@Gretchen - the last couple of years you've been doing this.  Do you want to go ahead or want one of us to do it?

Got in a couple of decent sessions Monday and Tuesday - 75 min sweet spot (-ish) work on the bike Monday and then a bunch of lower body and core work at gym yesterday.  Today was supposed to be 6 AM Bikram but I had to go get blood drawn for my annual physical so I'll do a bike later.  My daughter has her fall championship swim meet this weekend (3 days' worth) but they have a drop-in gym I plan on hitting up on Saturday. 

I'm happy for someone else to do it this year. My internet is *sketchy* and I won't be back in the states for another two weeks.

2019-12-04 12:14 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!

I'm loving these updates!

I did a turkey trot Thursday morning. Did okay, think I ran somewhere in the 26' range, which is good for not much training. I wanted to work out Saturday but I sneezed and suddenly couldn't move my neck...karma for making fun of my brother for tearing his meniscus walking down the stairs.

Ravens kicked some booty on Sunday and I drank a few too many crushes/beermosas/Union Craft Brewery Snow Pants, so I slept in on Monday. Donated blood Tuesday and it was horrible (had a newb doing it, he was super slow and missed my vein so I am bruised for the wedding I'm going to in FL on Friday), and I've been super dizzy.

SO, hoping to get some runs in while I'm in FL the next 4 days. Leave early tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
2019-12-04 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm happy for someone else to do it this year. My internet is *sketchy* and I won't be back in the states for another two weeks.

Consider it done.  'Cause it is. 

Looking forward to another great BDAS year!!!

2019-12-06 12:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Donated blood Tuesday and it was horrible (had a newb doing it, he was super slow and missed my vein so I am bruised for the wedding I'm going to in FL on Friday), and I've been super dizzy.

SO, hoping to get some runs in while I'm in FL the next 4 days. Leave early tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!

Where in FL? Are you in John & my neck of the woods, Orlando area?

I'll miss the phlebotomists in my oncologist's office, I swear she could stick you in your sleep and you wouldn't know it.

My first HM is tomorrow! I'm a little nervous, a little excited. I caught a nasty head cold earlier this week, I'm still sniffling, but I think I'm mostly over it.
2019-12-06 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807
Originally posted by nicole14e Donated blood Tuesday and it was horrible (had a newb doing it, he was super slow and missed my vein so I am bruised for the wedding I'm going to in FL on Friday), and I've been super dizzy. SO, hoping to get some runs in while I'm in FL the next 4 days. Leave early tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed!
Where in FL? Are you in John & my neck of the woods, Orlando area? I'll miss the phlebotomists in my oncologist's office, I swear she could stick you in your sleep and you wouldn't know it. My first HM is tomorrow! I'm a little nervous, a little excited. I caught a nasty head cold earlier this week, I'm still sniffling, but I think I'm mostly over it.

I had blood drawn on Wednesday in advance of my yearly physical.  I always warn the phl.ist that I get clammy and sweaty (totally involuntary reaction...it's bizarre) but not to worry as I wasn't going to fall over.  She was so good at it that I didn't have any of my normal needle "symptoms". 

2019-12-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

DeLand, Florida
Standing as a spectator at the start line of the Orlando OUC Half Marathon to cheer on Riles. Beautiful day for a run - go get em Riles!

2019-12-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Originally posted by firebert

Standing as a spectator at the start line of the Orlando OUC Half Marathon to cheer on Riles. Beautiful day for a run - go get em Riles!

Thanks again for coming out to cheer! It was good to see you.

So, just like John warned me, the first 10 miles I felt really good, just a morning jog with couple thousand friends. The course is nice, winding through some older, downtown neighborhoods. Lots of support on course & lots of people out watching/cheering. After the first 3 miles I felt good and decided to run at 8:30-8:45 pace instead of the 9:00 pace I had planned. Then at mile ten, just about where Jonh had camped out to watch, it just seemed that much harder to keep pace. With only 3 miles left I knew I had it even if I had to fall back to my 9:00 pace, but I managed to keep 8:30 or better.

My goal had been to finish under 2:00:00 and my official time is 1:54:15! I placed 586 out of 2,685, and 55 in age group out of 182.

My wife made an awesome little race day video I'll see if I can post or link.
2019-12-08 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice work, Riles.  GREAT pacing and congrats on crushing your goal.  And way to represent BDAS in the stands, John!

2019-12-08 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

DP - user error.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-12-08 9:17 AM
2019-12-08 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Week 7, week 1 of Base 2 completed.  Good week given all of the scheduling issues I had plus I didn't really sleep all that well this week.  Three straight 75-90 minute commutes to an AM swim meet in Virginia didn't help the cause.  Daughter PR'd every event and her relay team qualified for Sectionals in the 400 medley (Kell swims fly).  Swam a 1:01:04 100 fly in her individual event.  Good grief.  

2 swims:  45 min, 2000 yards, TSS  = 41
5 cycling:  4.75 hours, 81 miles, TSS = 250
2 treadmill:  0.6 hours, 2.5 miles, TSS = 24
5 ST/yoga:  ~2 hours

Total Time:  8+ hours
Total SBR TSS:  315/313/300 (actual/planned/suggested)

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-12-08 9:23 AM
2019-12-08 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Nice work, Riles.  GREAT pacing and congrats on crushing your goal.  And way to represent BDAS in the stands, John!

+1, great race. Awesome to see the pace getting faster every split. Well run, you should be very pleased with yourself.

2019-12-08 2:56 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
This was a cutback week for me. which was a good thing with my rolled ankle at Sundays HM giving me a few days off.

M: Off
T: Off
W: Off
T: 1000m/20min swim, 30min easy bike
F: 20min test run, 60min bike
S: 60 min run
S: 110min bike

all up, 5 hours for the week. Foot feels good, but not 100%. So I'm going to have to manage the injury for now. So there will be little to no hard running, and some runs may be swapped to walks or bikes depending on how it goes.

That said, when using a compression bandage on the foot, I've been able to walk, bike and run with no pan or issues so far. So I am as confident as I can be going forwards. Its only when the bandage is off around the house the foot feels not quite healed yet.

Hope everyone else had a good week.
2019-12-08 4:11 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

DeLand, Florida

Riles - GREAT work and great to see you too.

Mike - thanks for picking up the BDAS duties for next year!

Andrew - sorry about the ankle!!

Dealing with an ankle issue myself.  It was acting up during my last long long run (23 miles) two weeks ago, and I took a few days off, then ran Thursday and aggravated it again.  Supposed to be doing 7 today, hoping to have the ankle back to ok tomorrow to get it in a little late.

Keep up the great work everyone!

2019-12-08 4:17 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Forgot to mention - Gretchen I've been on the Amarna project website for a while.  Great place to get sucked in and lose some time if you're into history.  So cool!

2019-12-11 8:17 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone,

I've been off the grid a bit.

Riles, GREAT RACE! Looks pretty solid even with the last 3 miles feeling tough. As for where I was in FL, I was down in Ft. Myers, so a bit of a hike from Orlando. It was an amazing trip though!

Andrew, sorry about your ankle! Heal quick!

Mike, wowsers your daughter is fast. Amazing!

Are we officially switching to the new forum yet or still here for a little?

I was a bum all weekend but swam about 2100 yds yesterday and did boot camp this morning. Was feeling really dizzy (probably combo of being out of shape, drinking all weekend, and my blood donation last week).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7831 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 944 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa