General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance Training Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-03-06 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Bike Maintenance Training Advice
Looking for suggestions from coaches, cyclists, or perhaps someone who's been through my unfortunate situation. Basically I am looking at maybe an entire year in which I probably won't be riding outdoors, at least for training purposes, but in which I do want to maintain cycling fitness as well as use the trainer to build back cardio and leg strength until I can run again. Really need ideas for a structured, very LONG TERM program to maintain bike fitness (probably starting from pretty low but not zero) and build power, but not a race-focused one.

The situation: In my first race of the season (Challenge Wanaka in NZ), I managed to trip on the run (on trails) late in the race and pretty nastily fracture my elbow (separation of the olecranon and humerus, with a nice gap and one minor bone fragment). The pieces have been screwed back together and I've been given the following rough timeline for returning to swim/bike/run:

Swim 4-6 weeks. Realistically it will probably be much longer until it looks like proper swimming, but at least in terms of getting into a pool and working on range of motion, doing what I can like kicking, one-arm stuff, etc. I have come back from a previous arm injury so have some idea of the process that will entail. Basically am not going to be swimming for cardio fitness anytime soon.

Bike on trainer or stationary: 3-4 weeks (2-3 weeks from now). No restrictions as far as I know, but aero will probably not be comfortable due to position of the fracture and the hardware. I have a road bike, tri bike, trainer, and PM.

Run: 6-10 weeks depending on healing, mainly due to impact and risk of re-injury if I managed to trip again.

I will probably be cleared for outdoor biking in 10-12 weeks but really don't see the point for training purposes. Our local roads are very rough, and I think between that and the hardware, it's going to be uncomfortable. I won't be cleared to race until late June at earliest and at that point would not have the run or swim fitness to do so. Our late summer/fall plans are also up in the air due to a job/move situation. So I can't really plan late-season events; plus I really don't know how much swimming I'll be able to do at that point, the impact of the hardware and remaining arm strength/mobility issues on stuff like getting off the wetsuit, on and off the bike, etc. I think it's just not worth the risk and discomfort to do a tri until the hardware comes out (probably late this year or early next)) and next tri season rolls around, assuming I'm up to it by then.

But I would like to keep in shape for biking. Possibly I could really use this time to make some major power gains later this year. The bike has always been my weakness--basically in my last race it's the only thing that stood between me and an AG win and KQ. Not sure that's realistic anytime soon anymore, or what the long-term impact of this injury on my normally strong swim will be, but if I do continue in tri I would certainly be much more competitive with a stronger bike leg.

Aside from biking will probably mainly use other training time to get back to swimming as my arm allows and possibly train for a marathon or HM or two (more "complete' than "compete") once I'm cleared to run.

Sorry for long post--am looking for ideas of a long-range program that involves maybe 3-4 key rides per week, 5-7 are fine initially until I start building back run volume.

2019-03-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Subject: RE: Bike Maintenance Training Advice
I am so sorry to hear about your injury... I dont have any advice for you... it usually flows the other way ... But I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery...
2019-03-07 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

Sorry to hear about your injury. Health issues kept me out of triathlon this past season, so I feel your pain. Good on you for doing what you can to make gains in power and training while having to sit out the competitions this year. Best of luck.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2019-03-07 7:54 PM
2019-03-07 7:57 PM

I've done the high volume sweet spot base program via Trainerroad the past two seasons and have seen very consistent returns for the time spent and that's as a full time roadie. A triathlete I would think could get even more out of it.
2019-03-07 8:56 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks--I will check that one out! I'm debating between using some kind of ready-made program for cycling and then adding in running and swimming as able, or asking and paying for my coach to make a custom plan for me. The variables are a little crazy with uncertainty as to when and how quickly run and swim will come back online, but I guess I would be paying her for that....Just seems a bit silly to pay a coach when I'm not planning to race, at least a tri or multi-sport event, all year!
2019-03-08 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I have heard good things about TrainerRoad. I have been using Zwift with a smart trainer the last few months and I have enjoyed that as well. There are FTP build type training modules on Zwift also.

I joined the Power Mentor group here on BT 4-5 years back and still have a library of the workouts I did with that group. So every now and then, I do one of those. They're usually 45 to 60 minutes long and are structured enough to where you won't get bored and get a darn good workout out of it. I didn't have a smart trainer when I went through those workouts but I was a much stronger rider having comleted them.

I had to swim with 1-arm on multiple occasions (mainly due to collar bone fractures) and it actually helped improve my body position in the water.

2019-03-08 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hi Reece! I think I may have been in the same group or possibly used that program on my own at another time just prior to getting a coach. Do you still have a file with the workouts that you could share with me via a link?(Or I can PM you my e-mail). I've moved several times since then and think I may have discarded a lot of my old training stuff since starting to work with a coach about three years ago. I recall the program was REALLY intense but I had solid power gains with it.

I will need to ease back into things a bit due to an enforced layoff from pretty much anything but walking that is going to be somewhere between 5 and 6 weeks, all told (2-3 weeks from now). 12 day delay from fracture to surgery as I had to get myself back from NZ and deal with insurance/ finding a doctor here, then he wanted to delay surgery for a week to let some abrasions heal to lower the chance of infection. Basically I'm not allowed to sweat until the stitches come out and incision is sufficiently healed. But there was no injury to my legs aside from a few bumps and bruises, so I should be able to get back into training fairly well once I'm cleared; we're just going to be looking at pretty major loss of fitness by that time.

I have actually had a previous injury to that arm, believe it or not also from tripping while running (hairline break of a different bone and some ligament and nerve damage) so am pretty familiar with the relearning to swim process and one-armed pool fun. Just unsure how it's going to go with a plate and five screws in there now. Yikes!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-03-08 11:45 AM
2019-03-08 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner
Do you still have a file with the workouts that you could share with me via a link?

There are links to each week in my log

2019-03-08 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks, got it. Will print them out soon. I think I'm going to need a month or two of easier stuff first as will really be starting from a pretty low level. I was in decent shape for early season on race day (about 10 watts off my all-time best FTP on mid-January test) but after 5-6 weeks of no vigorous activity, my cardio and leg fitness will be shot It's hard to even walk very vigorously with an arm that is either in a sling or out but complaining loudly about cold and motion. (No cast, no nothing but a light bandage as of today as the repair is super-stable and the big concern is loss of mobility. Right now I feel like my elbow is full of cement and not sure I have even 20 degrees of mobility....Yikes!)

Hoping I can start with a PT early next week. The one I would like to work with has a lot of experience with athletes, so hoping he can also recommend some exercises I could safely do for leg and core strength starting immediately.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-03-08 8:27 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance Training Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike advice

Started by Kmabela
Views: 818 Posts: 9

2019-02-04 7:44 PM mlegrand

Brief Planned Outage for Maintenance Friday 11p Eastern

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 447 Posts: 1

2018-09-20 5:59 AM alicefoeller