General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 05.27.2019 Memorial Monday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2019-05-27 4:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: 05.27.2019 Memorial Monday
I started the day with a three hour ride. Unfortunately that was a car ride and not a bike ride. I got in a 1000 yard swim in this afternoon and will be starting the three drive home this evening.

Have a great day BT!

2019-05-27 8:14 PM
in reply to: #5259248

User image

Subject: RE: 05.27.2019 Memorial Monday
Relaxing Memorial Day at home with the wife and kids.

45’ trainer session this evening.
Warm up
2x8’ low cadence (55-60 RPM) with 3’ rest
1x5’ low cadence
Cool down

Zwift is a great tool but I do see where it can be distracting. During one of my low cadence intervals I came up on a sprint segment. I so wanted to shift gears and see if I could make a run at the sprint jersey. It’s also easy to get caught up in racing instead of doing an easy recovery ride.

Happy training. Hope everyone’s short work week is...well, short.
2019-05-27 9:08 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
We finally had some decent weather here for the holiday. Our community has a big veteran population and there was a lot going on at the cemetery; glad they didn't have to brave the rain for the activities there. 1800 yard swim this morning and a very pleasant 50 minute run this afternoon.

There is a big pond on one of my running routes and today is the first day I've run past it (since it's about a 50 minute loop and I just worked up to that); the last time I was there (on a walk), the geese had really tiny gosling fluff-balls; now they are big, fluffy gray, and swimming a lot faster than I am. Took some pics of several goose families.

No idea why but Boise has a TON of Canada geese, some just for the winter and some most of the year. Maybe this is where they fly south to when Canada gets too cold? Also lots of ducks due to the many ponds and irrigation canals which flow right through the suburban neighborhoods.
2019-05-27 9:40 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
We spent a whole weekend in Devil's Lake, Wisconsin. It is a perfect spot for various sports (that's why we love it!), and it was great for my training. Being from ultra flat Illinois I truly enjoyed biking and running with some nice hills. I also got some open water experience, and we did a bit of rock climbing and hiking.

Accomplshments of the trip: I started enjoying the hills!! (or biking) I used to be extremely intimidated by them, but now I actually loved the challenge of it.

We had a great weather, except today, where we got very heavy rain on half way through. It was warm, thus, the rain did not bother us much. But on the fast descent it was almost like spikes in the eyes! Plus the wind and coldness.... I was shaking like crazy when we got back, but also happy for managing some crazy strong climbs
2019-05-28 6:28 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

, Pennsylvania
I had a 5 miler yesterday morning, like exercising the demons of the day prior...hahahaha

2019-05-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner  No idea why but Boise has a TON of Canada geese, some just for the winter and some most of the year. .

We raised African Geese for the past two years.  In doing some research on geese I learned that at one point wildlife preservation groups took Canadian geese eggs and hatch them in incubators and raised them in captivity to later release to increase the number of Canadian Geese in the wild.  Turns out that the birds that were raised in captivity didn't have the instinct to migrate and never learn it in the wild so there are now tons of non-migrating Canadian geese from these preservation projects.  Only the native geese migrate.  The reintroduced geese stick around all year long. 

I am not doing geese this year, but my daughters got some white call ducks for a 4H project this year and will be exhibiting them at the Country Fair in September.  I spent a few hours on Saturday digging a duck pond and preparing a duck house.  That counts as cross training. Right? 

I love seeing fluffy goslings and ducklings at the ponds in the spring.  Here are some photos my wife snapped on Sunday. I hope everyone can see them.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2019-05-28 5:05 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 05.27.2019 Memorial Monday Rss Feed