General Discussion Race Reports! » Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seven Valleys, Pennsylvania
United States
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 41s
Overall Rank = 158/245
Age Group = F41-50
Age Group Rank = 17/31
Pre-race routine:

Ate Ramen for breakfast (I've since decided I'm not satisfied with the results of eating that for breakfast). Got to the race site about an hour early even though we already had picked up our packets since we'd never been there before.

Walked around checking out the horses and the grounds a little. The race is held entirely on private property, a HUGE horse farm. Well, the grounds are huge, not the horses. They are average horses. ;) Used porta-johns maybe a bit to early and maybe not quite long enough (foreshadowing!) Ate a Honey Stinger cracker bar.

Chatted with friends we were meeting at the race, then stretched and headed to watch the 10K lineup and start which 2 of the friends were doing, the other guy and me and EFP were doing the 5K.
Event warmup:

Stretching, walking around. Kinda wished I'd have done a short run warmup.
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

The 5K does a somewhat annoying loop around the long grassed horse field (7-8"), so lumpy. There are 2 horse jumps in this field that are avoidable, so I avoided them. The grass was kicking my butt and making my lower legs hurt. I ended up walking some and getting passed by everyone and their brother, it seemed. I could still hear some people behind me so I knew I wasn't last, but I didn't want to turn around to see how many/few.

Finally we got out of the thick grass onto a little downhill, then some sandy dirt double track. Here I picked off quite a few of the people who passed me. As we were running around the edge of a very large horse corral, I saw a deer running full bore toward the fence and the path where runners were traveling between that corral and another. I yelled, "Be careful, it will jump!", picturing a very ugly human/deer collision. Thankfully the deer either had good timing or racers got lucky because jumped the fence, crossed the path, and jumped the other fence just as there was a decent break in runners. Whew!! It was pretty awesome to see.

Took a downhill to the creek and saw - SASQUATCH!! (mile 1.35, I looked, LOL) gave him/her a high 5 and kept moving. Did some yo-yo-ing with various racers depending on the terrain. Got passed because I was being cautious on the first creek crossing (mid-shin deep on me), the bottom was all irregular sized/shaped slippery rocks and I didn't want to trip, slip or fall.

Ran some more grassy areas, hills, mixed terrain and surfaces, encountered more horse jumps throughout the course. Not counting the first two in the field, I think there were 5-7 others that there was no choice but to go over. Various heights, styles, and materials.

Second creek crossing was about mid-thigh on me and the bottom was more forgiving than the other crossing but I still didn't want to fall, especially since a photographer was there! Up a hill and into another meadow (sigh) and another Sasquatch sighting! I strongly considered getting a selfie with it, but opted for another high five instead. I now regret that decision! I mean, it's not every day one sees Sasquatch.

Through the woods, over two of the horse jumps, and down a hill (grass, again) to the finish. Like the goofball I am, I whinnied and reared back and moved my 'hooves' when nearing the last jump since EFP and Alan were standing there watching for me. Really pushed hard to the finish, vowing to not let anyone pass me in the waning yards of the race - mission accomplished!
What would you do differently?:

Get a selfie with Sasquatch. Run faster. Bring water.
Post race
Warm down:

Watched and waited for Kaye to finish, then headed over for dry shoes, socks, beer and food. I can never eat right away so I started with a beer, Goose Island Natural Villain Lager, I really enjoyed it. Eventually got to the point where I ate some pork BBQ sans roll.

Kaye and Heide both won AG awards. Heide is a total bad azz, she's 80!! EFP was close, 4th. Nothing for Alan or me. Racing with friends is always more fun!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fighting a head cold. Being overweight. Should've ran with a bit of water. Tall grass. ;)

Event comments:

Great free food and beer at the end for athletes, great RD with an excellent sense of humor, free goodies, Sasquatch! I'll do this race again.

Last updated: 2019-08-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/245
Performance: Average
Course: Enjoy a fun challenging morning at the Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K traversing the amazing varied landscapes of the FNLT preserved South Branch Farms in Seven Valleys. The Sasquatch was named in Runner’s World magazine’s America’s Top Trail Races. We’re talking uninterrupted, all off-road, cross-country and trail runs covering mixed terrain and elevation on FNLT preserved land. Enjoy views of farmland, woods, meadows and streams – you might see native birds, deer, turkeys, owls, foxes, coyotes, snakes and sasquatches! Both runs cross the Codorus Creek in the last stretch (a nice cool down)! As our host and course designer Rob Kinsley states, “If you finish and you’re not wet and dirty, you’re disqualified!”
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2019-09-09 4:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K

2019-09-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #5262412

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K
HAHAHAHAHA I love that you whinnied! Sounds like a tough but fun event.
2019-09-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Yep, a selfie with Sasquatch is a necessity. I don't understand how you can actually RUN in that type of terrain. Good job.

2019-09-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

Yep, a selfie with Sasquatch is a necessity. I don't understand how you can actually RUN in that type of terrain. Good job.

Oh, that tall grass was awful.  The rest of the terrain I can handle.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Afton Trail Run 25K

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1099 Posts: 4

2019-07-08 1:15 PM amymengel

St. Patrick's Lo Tide Run 10k

Started by jmkizer
Views: 736 Posts: 3

2019-03-19 11:00 AM melbo55

Red Shoe Run 5K

Started by snikpos
Views: 948 Posts: 1