General Discussion Race Reports! » Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Slatington, Pennsylvania
United States
23F / -5C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 6/11
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We arrived nice and early and secured good parking, picked up our handheld water bottles (Amphipod, really nice!), shirts, and bib numbers, then enjoyed a little hot chocolate (me) and coffee (EFP). we voted on the little art show that was taking place in the main building of the Nature Center and bought 2 walking sticks because they were ridiculously cheap ($12 each).
Event warmup:

Did a short, easy jog and some stretches. Alan and I lined up for the start while Kaye and EFP cheered us off.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Alan started out with me but then I watched his shadow drop back and disappear around .55 miles. The first mile was flat, then turned to a walking-only hill (maybe some people could run it, not me and not the others I saw). A younger girl thought she was going to pass me by attempting to run up the hill. She made it maybe 15 feet in front of me, then stopped and was making gagging noises. I kept right on hiking and passed her as she coughed and tried not to toss her cookies. It flattened out at the top where we followed grassy double track which had some exposed dirt and rocks.

Eventually the double track turned into rocky single track which took another turn upward, then up and down a bit. I walked the downs, not wanting to risk falling and getting hurt, I have a hockey game Sunday to play! Gagging girl caught me here and eventually Alan caught me, too (he is less afraid of falling) but once we got off the rocky trail and it smoothed out again, I stayed ahead of him and gained more of a lead at a small hill. I ended up beating him by 3 seconds. Should've been more, but as I said, I chose to walk the rocky downhills.
What would you do differently?:

Since it was a very laid back, tiny race, it wasn't very serious so I'm happy with what I accomplished. It would've been nice to not walk so much of the rocky downhills, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught our breath, then realized we might be able to see Kaye and EFP start, so we went to that area but they had just left. Had we not stood around gasping for air and catching our breath and instead headed straight to their start, we probably could've seen them off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear of falling on the rocks.

Event comments:

This was a great little race with nice swag and amenities for such a small event. I enjoyed being able to support the Nature Center, I'd love to come back some time just to check out the grounds and what they have to offer.

All proceeds from the event help to support the nationally recognized Lehigh Gap Nature Center.

Last updated: 2019-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 02.3 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/11
Performance: Good
Course: The 2.3 mile Scamper has terrain suitable for family members of all ages and ability levels and still includes the short but challenging Bobolink Trail. Be advised that sections of the course are technical, rocky and steep. For more detailed course information, please check out the course page which contains a downloadable map and GPS waypoints. 2 mile course-mixed surface with portions of Rails to Trails paths. Includes 2 short steep hills and a single section of single track trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2019-11-21 10:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper

2019-11-22 12:56 PM
in reply to: #5264274

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper
sounds like a good race for a great cause! Congrats
2019-11-22 1:27 PM
in reply to: #5264274

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper

I love races for good causes! Glad you had a good time and didn't fall down the hill!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K/scamper Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Runners World Festival 10K

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 431 Posts: 1

2019-10-21 8:45 PM TheClaaaw

Sasquatch Preservation Trail Run 5K & 10K

Started by melbo55
Views: 941 Posts: 4

2019-09-12 9:35 AM melbo55

EP Sawyer State Park 10k

Started by jgoetz
Views: 318 Posts: 1