Other Resources The Political Joe » Corona virus Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2020-03-08 12:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Corona virus
There is a girl here who was diagnosed... minor symptoms, about like a cold. Went to the hospital and they sent her home to get well. Of course, the blogs of folks here are filled with panic and dread. LOL People are crazy. 8 billion people on the planet and it took 3 months to get 105,000 verified cases.......time to shelter in place. HAHAHAHA

Edited by Left Brain 2020-03-08 12:09 PM

2020-03-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Question,

I'm not saying this will happen, but pretend it does....

if your emergency rooms and health care systems are overwhelmed, what would this look like for people that are well insured vs not insured ?

Would "everyone" be taken care of ?

2020-03-08 4:40 PM

User image

Pro
Everyone who shows up at an emergency room would ne treated. Are you talking about being overwhelmed like they are with the 30,000,000 who get the flu? LOL. You know it killed about 15 000 in 3 months right? AND THERE IS A PREVENTATIVE VACCINE!!! I know, I know....not everyone can afford the 20.00 vaccine even though they have a cell phone.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-03-08 4:46 PM
2020-03-08 5:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Everyone who shows up at an emergency room would ne treated. Are you talking about being overwhelmed like they are with the 30,000,000 who get the flu? LOL. You know it killed about 15 000 in 3 months right? AND THERE IS A PREVENTATIVE VACCINE!!! I know, I know....not everyone can afford the 20.00 vaccine even though they have a cell phone.

I was curious about how much this will add fuel to the health care debate fire.

It's interesting to watch what is going on in other countries. Italy is used to the flu. Take a look at what this is doing to their ER.

Maybe we can learn before we get hit.

Edited by marcag 2020-03-08 5:49 PM
2020-03-08 6:21 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by marcag Question, I'm not saying this will happen, but pretend it does.... if your emergency rooms and health care systems are overwhelmed, what would this look like for people that are well insured vs not insured ? Would "everyone" be taken care of ?

The ER will triage each patient regardless of ability to pay. 

Those with life threatening conditions will get treated. Of these, some have insurance that pays, some have insurance with high deductibles and will have to pay thousands before insurance pays anything, some will have charges cancelled because they cannot pay. For those with life threatening conditions, insurance doesn’t get them higher priority access to treatment but it may affect the treatment they get. 

For those without life threatening conditions, most will be sent away regardless of Insurance or ability to pay. (This is based on your premise that they’re overwhelmed.)

2020-03-08 6:29 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by marcag Question, I'm not saying this will happen, but pretend it does.... if your emergency rooms and health care systems are overwhelmed, what would this look like for people that are well insured vs not insured ? Would "everyone" be taken care of ?

Those with life threatening conditions will get treated. Of these, some have insurance that pays, some have insurance with high deductibles and will have to pay thousands before insurance pays anything, some will have charges cancelled because they cannot pay. For those with life threatening conditions, insurance doesn’t get them higher priority access to treatment but it may affect the treatment they get. 

For those without life threatening conditions, most will be sent away regardless of Insurance or ability to pay. (This is based on your premise that they’re overwhelmed.)

Thanks

If I understand correctly, everyone over 65 has insurance through medicare, correct ?

2020-03-08 8:01 PM

User image

Pro
2020-03-09 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like he's following the advice of your "chief medical officer "

2020-03-09 8:13 AM

User image

Pro

Yeah, now schools are closing here......and nobody is sick.  LOL

My twins live on campus at Missouri University.....they want him to come to a dance there. 

2020-03-09 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Half the county is in full blown irrational panic mode now. Of course the liberal media is using every opportunity to bash Trump. PMSNBC show a picture of Trump playing golf and said “...does this look like leadership?” Evidently they think leadership means you should spend 16 hrs a day every day in a conference room micro managing. Or maybe he should be in a lab working on a vaccine.

CDC reports show 30 MILLION people had or has the flu this season. 11,000 deaths including 130 children.
2020-03-09 8:50 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Without question, the coverage of this virus is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my lifetime.

2020-03-09 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Without question, the coverage of this virus is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Now why did you go sayin' that???

Now they're going to have to try to top it and the rest of us will suffer too...

2020-03-09 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

This was just posted and kind of answers were I was going with my questions

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/patchy-health-insurance-complicat...
2020-03-09 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Why are we still having the healthcare discussion in this country? Obama stepped into office with a majority in the House and Senate. The democrats were able to pass the brilliant Affordable Healthcare Act through the system, unopposed. Every single man, woman and child in this country has affordable or free access to the system. The Democrats already fixed it!!!!! End of story.

https://www.hometownstation.com/home-town-station/carl-goldman-coron...

Here's a link to one of the people on the cruise ship that has the virus. I enjoyed reading his story and. his sense of humor that has managed help him keep his sanity through the process. This is the only first person account of the virus that I've managed to find on the interwebz so far.
2020-03-09 9:21 AM

User image

Pro

That article is absolute garbage.  Read it enough and you'll believe that millions will be destitute if the virus spreads much more.  That's crap, the same way the coverage of the virus is crap.  Seriously.....look how many people are facing bankruptcy and over the top financial problems from insurance problems.......oh .....wait......they're not.   Let's pretend nobody has ever been sick or injured before and this is the disease we've all dreaded that will kill the country.  Geez......enough already.

I might add that I don't give a rats arse what Al Jazeera has to say about ANYTHING.  Hey, let's interview a disgruntled teacher, lobbying (and even striking) to get better insurance benefits, as an expert on what will happen.  Dumbest. Crap. Ever.  Food for the masses of idiots.....nothing more.

Edited by Left Brain 2020-03-09 9:25 AM
2020-03-09 10:06 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mdg2003

Why are we still having the healthcare discussion in this country? Obama stepped into office with a majority in the House and Senate. The democrats were able to pass the brilliant Affordable Healthcare Act through the system, unopposed. Every single man, woman and child in this country has affordable or free access to the system. The Democrats already fixed it!!!!! End of story.

My questions were mostly to understand if this "situation" will fuel the health care debate in 2020
I must admit I am surprised you refer to AHA as brilliant.
I also thought there are efforts to repeal major portions of it.

As for the validity of the article, other sources confirm the numbers of uninsured. They also must be left wing fruitcakes.
Yes LB, I know, it's not Sean Hannity....but we have to work with what we have :-)

https://www.kff.org/uninsured/issue-brief/key-facts-about-the-uninsu...

2020-03-09 10:25 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by marcag

My questions were mostly to understand if this "situation" will fuel the health care debate in 2020

It's been hailed as the greatest achievement of the most brilliant President we've ever had. His signature piece of Legislation. They got everything they wanted and put it on the books. A lot of really smart people put in a lot of work to get this done right. Are you suggesting it isn't brilliant?

Edited by mdg2003 2020-03-09 10:26 AM
2020-03-09 10:39 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 Why are we still having the healthcare discussion in this country? Obama stepped into office with a majority in the House and Senate. The democrats were able to pass the brilliant Affordable Healthcare Act through the system, unopposed. Every single man, woman and child in this country has affordable or free access to the system. The Democrats already fixed it!!!!! End of story.
My questions were mostly to understand if this "situation" will fuel the health care debate in 2020 I must admit I am surprised you refer to AHA as brilliant. I also thought there are efforts to repeal major portions of it. As for the validity of the article, other sources confirm the numbers of uninsured. They also must be left wing fruitcakes. Yes LB, I know, it's not Sean Hannity....but we have to work with what we have :-) https://www.kff.org/uninsured/issue-brief/key-facts-about-the-uninsu...
\

Look man, I'm just  happy I don't live in your country and have to deal with that mess.  I just had to have a hernia surgery.  Called the doc, got an appt. in 4 days.  Saw the doc.  Got set up for surgery in 7 days.  Had surgery.  Back to work in 2 weeks.  Less than 25 days from start to finish.  Are you suggesting your country does it better than that?  LMAO

2020-03-09 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by mdg2003 Why are we still having the healthcare discussion in this country? Obama stepped into office with a majority in the House and Senate. The democrats were able to pass the brilliant Affordable Healthcare Act through the system, unopposed. Every single man, woman and child in this country has affordable or free access to the system. The Democrats already fixed it!!!!! End of story.
My questions were mostly to understand if this "situation" will fuel the health care debate in 2020 I must admit I am surprised you refer to AHA as brilliant. I also thought there are efforts to repeal major portions of it. As for the validity of the article, other sources confirm the numbers of uninsured. They also must be left wing fruitcakes. Yes LB, I know, it's not Sean Hannity....but we have to work with what we have :-) https://www.kff.org/uninsured/issue-brief/key-facts-about-the-uninsu...
\

Look man, I'm just  happy I don't live in your country and have to deal with that mess.  I just had to have a hernia surgery.  Called the doc, got an appt. in 4 days.  Saw the doc.  Got set up for surgery in 7 days.  Had surgery.  Back to work in 2 weeks.  Less than 25 days from start to finish.  Are you suggesting your country does it better than that?  LMAO

No, I am asking if this is going to fuel the fire of health care debate.

And no, our health care system does not do better for people that are well insured.
2020-03-09 10:54 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Extreme Veteran

It's been hailed as the greatest achievement of the most brilliant President we've ever had. His signature piece of Legislation. They got everything they wanted and put it on the books. A lot of really smart people put in a lot of work to get this done right. Are you suggesting it isn't brilliant?

Not at all!!

I think it was brilliant. I'm just surprised to hear it from someone in this forum.

2020-03-09 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

\

No, I am asking if this is going to fuel the fire of health care debate. And no, our health care system does not do better for people that are well insured.

Honestly, I don't know if we'll get that far.......right now we're all dealing with the fact that we'll be dead in 14 days.  You know what I do for a living.  Our building is 4 miles from the only known case here.  It's pretty much been a mess.....I could not begin to explain the stupidity of the media covering this as they have.  There have been times in the last 4 hours when I hoped it kills everybody.  LMAO

2020-03-09 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

This was just posted and kind of answers were I was going with my questions https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/patchy-health-insurance-complicat...

I read through the article.  Here are a couple things that stand out to me.

Mr. McCormick works 3 jobs and has kids in daycare.  He and his wife have to decide if him taking time off work to visit the doctor at the risk of losing pay makes sense.  A rational parent will minimize the impact of lost time at work, either by having the parent who doesn't lose wages take the time off, or by having the parent making less take time off for this.  If he's taking time off, that implies his wife makes more than the $45-50K a teacher with 15 years would make in West Virginia (I looked up the salary schedule and assume at 37, he's got 15 years of experience).  He's working adjunct positions, so he easily exceeds $50K with the implication he's the lower wage earner, so the two together are making over $100K.  In Princeton, WV, that goes a long way if you're a good steward of your money.  

He's worried about the $20 or $50 co-pay his plan charges?  My family deductible is $3000 before I get to worry about a co-pay.  

"Junk Insurance..."  I pay over $500/month for my employer-subsidized insurance (with a $3000 deductible).  This means I spend $6000/year even if I never use any healthcare services.  Assuming my portion is 25%, the total cost of this insurance is $24,000+.  THAT is junk!  In addition to my insurance premium, I'm contributing to my HSA to cover healthcare expenses should they arise (and yes, they are arising).  A few years back, it would have been ~$900/month for my Obamacare policy (individual coverage with a $7000 deductible).  That's junk!  I could work out the math, but I'd have to expect $30K plus in annual medical expenses based on premiums alone.  

The anecdote of the Florida businessman...First...go to the Emergency Room when you have an EMERGENCY!.  With "flu like symptoms' he should have scheduled an appointment with his physician.  Sadly, he was responding to the media hype rather than making a rational decision and it's costing him $1400.  He could have gone to his doctor and received the negative result for...$150...

At the same time, what would he expect if his test result was positive?  The hospital would keep him quarantined, tying up a $3000/day bed for a week or two instead of being sent home by his doctor to self-quarantine.  Again...mild symptoms, so why does he need to hole up in an expensive hospital room?  For "mild symptoms" I wouldn't even go to the doctor if I expected a viral infection.  

2020-03-09 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Attachments
----------------
D44B987A-04DD-417E-9B74-05B9E82C3230.jpeg (536KB - 7 downloads)
2020-03-09 11:52 AM

User image

Pro

This was just posted and kind of answers were I was going with my questions https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/patchy-health-insurance-complicat...

I read through the article.  Here are a couple things that stand out to me.

Mr. McCormick works 3 jobs and has kids in daycare.  He and his wife have to decide if him taking time off work to visit the doctor at the risk of losing pay makes sense.  A rational parent will minimize the impact of lost time at work, either by having the parent who doesn't lose wages take the time off, or by having the parent making less take time off for this.  If he's taking time off, that implies his wife makes more than the $45-50K a teacher with 15 years would make in West Virginia (I looked up the salary schedule and assume at 37, he's got 15 years of experience).  He's working adjunct positions, so he easily exceeds $50K with the implication he's the lower wage earner, so the two together are making over $100K.  In Princeton, WV, that goes a long way if you're a good steward of your money.  

He's worried about the $20 or $50 co-pay his plan charges?  My family deductible is $3000 before I get to worry about a co-pay.  

"Junk Insurance..."  I pay over $500/month for my employer-subsidized insurance (with a $3000 deductible).  This means I spend $6000/year even if I never use any healthcare services.  Assuming my portion is 25%, the total cost of this insurance is $24,000+.  THAT is junk!  In addition to my insurance premium, I'm contributing to my HSA to cover healthcare expenses should they arise (and yes, they are arising).  A few years back, it would have been ~$900/month for my Obamacare policy (individual coverage with a $7000 deductible).  That's junk!  I could work out the math, but I'd have to expect $30K plus in annual medical expenses based on premiums alone.  

The anecdote of the Florida businessman...First...go to the Emergency Room when you have an EMERGENCY!.  With "flu like symptoms' he should have scheduled an appointment with his physician.  Sadly, he was responding to the media hype rather than making a rational decision and it's costing him $1400.  He could have gone to his doctor and received the negative result for...$150...

At the same time, what would he expect if his test result was positive?  The hospital would keep him quarantined, tying up a $3000/day bed for a week or two instead of being sent home by his doctor to self-quarantine.  Again...mild symptoms, so why does he need to hole up in an expensive hospital room?  For "mild symptoms" I wouldn't even go to the doctor if I expected a viral infection.  

Nice....an actual rational discussion instead of some left wing rag media spin pretending that some whining parent's experience, coupled with that parent's own agenda,  is the experience of the majority of Americans.  Oh wait......you DID suggest that the parent could be more responsible......that ain't gonna fly. 

2020-03-09 12:10 PM

User image

Pro

Actual Tweet exchange:

Chelsea Clinton - "President Trump has left the US dangerously unprepared to face a public health crisis like a #coronavirus outbreak.  @devisridhar and I explain how via @CNN.

Lara Printzen - "So far more people in the US have died trying to testify against your mother than has died from Corona Virus"

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Corona virus Rss Feed  

of 7